Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Windscreen wiper terror!

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2000, 01:35 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was in Biarritz (sp?) in France on Friday, and some muppet decided to rip the wiper off - snapped the control arm in half - git!

(anyone fancing a fantastic drive should get down to Rocamador in the South Westish of France - no-one around and amazing bendy roads - like having your own private race track!)

Can anyone tell me where to source parts for an STI5 (I am not sure if its the same as a UK turbo - had a quick look at one in the traffic on the motorway this morning and it looked different to me)

Thanks in advance
Old 03 July 2000, 02:41 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

I agree - some of the best roads in France are around Rocamadour, St. Cirq etc. A real blast!

Should be there with Scoob in about 6 weeks time

Rich.
Old 03 July 2000, 03:16 PM
Rider
Scooby Regular

I don't know about buying spares, but just make sure you get the right size blades. Imagine my delight when I found out that the UK Scoob takes a 20" and an 18" after buying a pair of 20s? Stupid bloody design.
Didn't look at all like a tw*t when I had to go back into Motormania and hand them a ripped open packet and ask for a different size…
Old 03 July 2000, 03:26 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

The part numbers for the Halfords blades are T530S drivers side and T480S passenger side

These are the blades with wind deflectors.

Pat gave me this helpfull info a few months back.

Old 03 July 2000, 03:42 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Steve,

As long as the "control arm" isn't the bit that has the wiper assembly at one end and the rotational pivot at the other... I would recommend you go to halfords and buy a set of Bosch "Twin" (twin core blades) wiper assemblies... these work much better than the original items on my STI... well worth the little extra they cost over halfords own brand blades. The drivers side assembly includes a "spoiler" to keep the blade down on the screen.

It may be worth keeping either a spare wiper, or a bottle of rain-X in the car when abroad, just in case this sort of thing happens again... I wonder if I could squeeze a spare blade in next to the kitchen sink?

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 03-07-2000).]
Old 05 July 2000, 01:42 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

The bit I was talking about was the Pivot arm - between the bolt and the wiper blade holder bit. The part is about £39 from Subaru - assumin gthey order the right part! - but I think I'll take the part to Halfords to see if theres something similar for about a tenner!

The gits must have used a fair bit of force to snap it in half - they tried the other side two as there are marks on the bonnet and on the black plastic at the base of the winscreen - there must be soe way of an alarm being able to put loads of current through the cars exterior of some one tries this - and I dont care if its illegal - though I doubt its possible!