Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How succesful is badge engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2004, 03:26 PM
SRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How succesful is badge engineering?

When Subaru built the Justy as an own product, I saw quite a lot of them in the Netherlands.
Since they only sticking a badge on a Suzuki the new Justy seems to be vanished.
The same thing happened with the Mazda 121 when it was a derivative of the previous Ford Fiesta.

Can't say if this is the same in the UK, but nevertheless I wonder how successful badge engineering
realy is. What kind of reason will I have to buy a Justy instead of a Suzuki Ignis as it is completely
the same car, only more expensive.

For Subaru it seems more economical to do so, but I think that it would be a much better option to built
a new Justy - for example a hatchback on the platform of the Impreza - in the size of the Leone's
they made in the early years eighty.

So, Subaru, knock off this nonsense and built a proper own car like you did before.

Greetings,
SRX!
Old 05 June 2004, 04:34 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Saab 9-3 estate anyone? or a Rover chitycar? everyone is at badge engineering due to the reduced development costs, Ford Galaxy, Seat Alhambra and Volkswagon Sharan were all the same vehicle initially,
Gary
Old 05 June 2004, 05:14 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Is badge engineering successful? Just look at the majority of F1 and rally teams. Mostly badged cars.

Chip
Old 05 June 2004, 07:47 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Badge engineering? VAG manage to sell the same car in the form of a Skoda, Seat, VW and Audi, so it must work to an extent. For some reason an Audi is deemed better than a VW, a VW better than a SEAT, and a SEAT better than a Skoda, yet the products are virtually identical. In some cases the 'less prestigious' badge has the newer technology.

Dave
http://www.scoobyphotos.com
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 05 June 2004, 07:54 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRX
When Subaru built the Justy as an own product, I saw quite a lot of them in the Netherlands.
Since they only sticking a badge on a Suzuki the new Justy seems to be vanished.
The same thing happened with the Mazda 121 when it was a derivative of the previous Ford Fiesta.

Can't say if this is the same in the UK, but nevertheless I wonder how successful badge engineering
realy is. What kind of reason will I have to buy a Justy instead of a Suzuki Ignis as it is completely
the same car, only more expensive.

For Subaru it seems more economical to do so, but I think that it would be a much better option to built
a new Justy - for example a hatchback on the platform of the Impreza - in the size of the Leone's
they made in the early years eighty.

So, Subaru, knock off this nonsense and built a proper own car like you did before.

Greetings,
SRX!
I agree with u totally. i think subaru should build a proper little hatch back that is a smaller version of a impreza and have a N/A and a Turbo one inc Bonnet scoob and gold alloys and all to be permanent 4WD (AWD). And the car has to be made by subaru, no copies and new design of their own so they can call it ther own like they did with the impreza, Forester and the Legarcy.

SC008Y_MAD
Old 05 June 2004, 08:03 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

They are also sold in Australia with a Holden badge
Old 05 June 2004, 11:38 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife

Foresters are sold in India as Chevrolet!

ps fiat ducato, citreon relay and peugeot boxer are all the same van

Last edited by PALATINE; 05 June 2004 at 11:40 PM. Reason: forgot to say