Hello World - Newbie Intro

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 12:10 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hello World - Newbie Intro

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks to get tips on insurance, security, what to look for when buying a used car etc. etc. I've just bought my first Scoobie and am hopefully picking it up tonight.

It's a V-reg (2000) UK turbo with some minor mods including induction kit, dump valve, fancy-pants stereo (I'm assuming it's not the original!) and tracker. I had to get a UK car for insurance purposes (my fiancee will also be driving it and she's under 25).

So, I thought I'd start by saying hello and sharing some cat shaving experiences with you all.

A Humorous Look At How to Bruise a Cat's Ego.

OK.OK! I know that cats probably don't want to be shaved, and there are those out there that might even consider it cruel. But they sure do look funny when they've got a nice shaved pattern in their fur. It seems to take some of that "cat attitude" out of them.

So here are some things to consider if you ever are thinking about shaving your cat:

1) Your cat does not want to be shaved. This is a problem as cats are armed with all of those claws, fangs, and the will to use them. Consider declawing your cat if you will be shaving it on a regular basis.

2) There are many exquisite patterns you may want to try out:

a. Boots and a Helmet: this is when you shave everything but their feet and their head. This is probably one of the easiest and best cat ego crushing cuts you can do. Patterns are difficult to do with a fighting cat, so this one is for the animal lover just starting out with his first pair of clippers. A pair of those humming hair clippers with a #2 or #3 attachment will do nicely. Don't forget to leave a tuft of hair and the end of the tail for added humour effect.

b. Rings: Also a very humbling experience for your cat. Shave rings up all the legs and around the body of the cat. Once again leave the head alone. Cats really don't like you messing with their face, and you do love your cat, don't you?

c. The Spiral: A more advanced technique. You must either have a calm cat, or you sedate it. We shaved our cat in a spiral right after we had him neutered. Imagine his surprise when he woke up. Ouch! We started at the base of the neck and worked our way around the body and all the way down the tail until we shaved one continuous spiral all the way down the cat's body.

d. Words: With a smaller set of clippers, you can shave words right in the cat's fur. It can be your name. your cat's name, WR1, 22b - anything. Let your imagination run wild. I shaved my house number on my cat's side so he would know where he lived.

e. Pictures: This is for the advanced cat artist. Go wild with whatever your mind can dream up and get on that cat. Once again, you're going to either have to make friends with the cat or sedate it for this one.

3) Remember each cat is different. Some cats even like being shaved (not many). Some cats even think they are cool after being shaved. Effects may vary. Experiment and see what your cat does and doesn't like and adjust your technique accordingly.

(Pardon my silliness please. Intended for humorous purposes only. I don't really shave my cats... anymore.)
Old 01 June 2004, 12:40 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Welcome , don't forget to wave

Dave
Old 01 June 2004, 12:46 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
Welcome , don't forget to wave

Dave
Thanks Dave! Do most Scooby owners wave at each other? If so I'd better tell my girlfriend because she'll wonder what the hell's going on.
Old 01 June 2004, 12:59 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Most ' classic shape' owners wave , some of the new age 'company car types' tend to be a bit miserable though , Your girlfriend will think it's all silly and refuse to wave back probably

Dave
Old 01 June 2004, 01:28 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
Most ' classic shape' owners wave , some of the new age 'company car types' tend to be a bit miserable though , Your girlfriend will think it's all silly and refuse to wave back probably

Dave
She'll wave! Our current/old car is a Golf GTi and she never tires of sticking two fingers up at the corsa/nova kids who always seem to want to race her - so waving at somebody will probably be a nice change for her.

Do you find, driving an impreza, that there are fewer ********* who want you to race them? It does my head in driving the Golf around, constant hassle from boy racers/crap drivers who either want to race or drive up my **** wanting to annoy me into putting my foot down. My girlfriend gets this aggravation a lot more than I do (probably because I look like the kind of person who'll just get out of the car and launch them! In truth, at a certain time of the month, she's far more likely to do that and far more explosive!)

Old 01 June 2004, 01:31 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Hey mate

Welcome, Im pretty new here too

Nice name btw - is it derived from Ian MacKaye ?

If so good taste
Old 01 June 2004, 01:37 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by streetbeats
Hey mate

Welcome, Im pretty new here too

Nice name btw - is it derived from Ian MacKaye ?

If so good taste
Wow - someone who's heard of Ian MacKaye! Yep, that's where I got it from. MT/Fugazi are awesome.

Thanks for the welcome!

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2004, 02:14 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
Do you find, driving an impreza, that there are fewer ********* who want you to race them? It does my head in driving the Golf around, constant hassle from boy racers/crap drivers who either want to race or drive up my **** wanting to annoy me into putting my foot down. My girlfriend gets this aggravation a lot more than I do (probably because I look like the kind of person who'll just get out of the car and launch them! In truth, at a certain time of the month, she's far more likely to do that and far more explosive!)

Still plenty of to**ers out there , I find white vans the worst when they attach themselves to your rear .......As if !
Old 02 June 2004, 01:16 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

Wow - someone who's heard of Ian MacKaye! Yep, that's where I got it from. MT/Fugazi are awesome.

Thanks for the welcome!
Ah mate its a shame you are so far away. :/

In a nutshell, music is my life.

I co-run several small independent drum and bass labels.
I play guitar in a math rock band, keyboards in a live d&b band, and strange synths in an avante-garde electronica project.

So you can see my tastes are quite diverse

Fugazi are one of my favourite bands of all time.

Saw them 3 times in 3 nights last year at the Forum in London. Absolutely mindblowingly good - and different sets each night.

Do you like Shellac ? Steve Albini / Bob Weston are two more of my 'cult' heros......Went to ATP (All Tomorrows Parties) in 2002 at Camber Sands - it was curated by Shellac - they played each day of the three days, and the rest of the bands were all hand picked by them, from the Fall to the Rachels and Shipping News (ex Rodan etc), Arcwelder, The Breeders, Melt Banana.....
No VIP area so all the bands just wandering about, chatting freely to you...
Basically 30 odd of my favourite bands ever.
Dont think I'll ever go to another gig as good.

Ahhhhhh Im getting emulsional - a true dulux moment

Last edited by streetbeats; 02 June 2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02 June 2004, 01:56 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by streetbeats
Ah mate its a shame you are so far away. :/

In a nutshell, music is my life.

I co-run several small independent drum and bass labels.
I play guitar in a math rock band, keyboards in a live d&b band, and strange synths in an avante-garde electronica project.

So you can see my tastes are quite diverse

Fugazi are one of my favourite bands of all time.

Saw them 3 times in 3 nights last year at the Forum in London. Absolutely mindblowingly good - and different sets each night.

Do you like Shellac ? Steve Albini / Bob Weston are two more of my 'cult' heros......Went to ATP (All Tomorrows Parties) in 2002 at Camber Sands - it was curated by Shellac - they played each day of the three days, and the rest of the bands were all hand picked by them, from the Fall to the Rachels and Shipping News (ex Rodan etc), Arcwelder, The Breeders, Melt Banana.....
No VIP area so all the bands just wandering about, chatting freely to you...
Basically 30 odd of my favourite bands ever.
Dont think I'll ever go to another gig as good.

Ahhhhhh Im getting emulsional - a true dulux moment
LOL! You were at the Forum! I couldn't make it down there in the end but managed to catch them in Manchester, have seen them 3 times previously. I like Shellac, Albini and Weston are considered gurus in my house. I like most American hardcore - Nation of Ulysses, Majority of One, All, Descendents, Black Flag etc - broad range of music but I won't list them all because we'll probably get moved for being off-topic Nice to meet you!
Old 02 June 2004, 02:13 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

LOL! You were at the Forum! I couldn't make it down there in the end but managed to catch them in Manchester, have seen them 3 times previously. I like Shellac, Albini and Weston are considered gurus in my house. I like most American hardcore - Nation of Ulysses, Majority of One, All, Descendents, Black Flag etc - broad range of music but I won't list them all because we'll probably get moved for being off-topic Nice to meet you!
likewise mate ! If Im ever in your neck of the woods I'll be sure to let you know

And now I feel inspired to go listen to some heavy Todd Trainer drums.......
Old 02 June 2004, 07:11 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Welcome

simb