Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The 'cooling off' minute. What do you do during the wait?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2000, 11:07 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The nice label on my drivers door says ...'leave the car to run for 1 minute after hard driving.'

I use this time to push in my deadlock and wrestle with my Disklok.

That doesn't take more tha 20 seconds and after that I have to entertain myself.

To date I have found no interesting way to fill the other 40 seconds.

What do you all do or do you just fry the oil in the turbo?

Ed

NB Before anyone thinks of it, it would take me more than 40 seconds to spank the monkey!
Old 29 June 2000, 11:25 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

Listen to a track on the radio/CD
Old 29 June 2000, 11:30 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

I've got a turbo timer.....so I spend the remaining 40 seconds explaining the reasons to passers by who say... "Excuse me sir....you've left your engine running".
Old 29 June 2000, 11:50 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

I've got cliffords newer engine start where you have to set it up before getting out of car takes me a month of sundays to remember which buttons to press

Thanx
Simon
Old 30 June 2000, 12:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just get a turbo timer fitted to your alarm system, ive got one one the clifford 600, its set for 2 mins, and in that time it gives me ive placed the disklock on, removed the facia of the radio, jump out, set the alarm, hey presto!! what about someone trying to nick it when the engine is still running you say?? its fitted with anti hijack, which also means that when you start up you put the code in, giving enough time for the engine to get the oil round the turbo!! best investment on the car yet!!!

Tony
Old 30 June 2000, 12:24 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tony,
I'm about to fit an alarm to my car (was thinking of toad) - do you know if the anti hijack facility is available on many alarms? Others have said that if the engine is running when you leave the car, it makes the alarm fail Thatcham approval - are you saying that is not the case?
Old 30 June 2000, 12:41 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hi Triggaaar
as far as i know its only available with clifford systems, the good thing about em though is even if some theiving toerag has your keys he wont get very far before the car cuts out leaving him/her stranded, you just have to make sure you put the code in otherwise it leaves you stranded in some horrible situations!!!!
Basically it works if the door is opened when the engine is running, once the brake is pressed or the revs drop below a certain ammout it activates, its easy to operate (once u get use to it!!) and its standard on the 600 g4 model.
The turbo timer is an optional extra on the clifford, it works inconjunction with the immobiliser, ie, activate turbo timer, set alarm, 2 mins later immobiliser kicks in. not sure if it cuts out if car broken into during this time, but probably does? (sorry aint tried this yet!!) Will find out for you though.

cheers
Tony

[This message has been edited by TonyBurns (edited 30-06-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 12:48 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Normally takes a while to open the garage and put the car away (about a minute), plus its a 20mph zone around home so the car has had about 2 minutes of <2000rpm.

I've been thinking of a turbo timer though: how good is the Concept 600 - does it calculate the time or do you just set it for 2 minutes?
Old 30 June 2000, 12:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to the guy who fitted my system, what he says is the turbo timer stops the alarm from seeing the engine running, if someone broke into your car during this period they would have to break the steering lock, during which time the alarm is still going off, could only drive if for the duration of the turbo timer, the immobiliser would then kick in along with the anti hijack, this is probably why most people fit a disclock!!!
Still one hell of a good system though!!
cost me 650 inc turbo timer.
Old 30 June 2000, 12:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Hi kryten,
you just set it up on a 600, its in the manual but the guy who fitted it set it to 2 mins as he also owned a scoob, end of the day, i think this system is brill, but its up to you what you want out of your alarm/immobiliser. Try to find someone who has one fitted and see what you think.

Cheers
Tony
Old 30 June 2000, 08:50 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

I stopped smoking last year. But, with all those extra minutes on my hands, I usually end up having a smoke while the engine cools!
It actually seems to take around seven minutes for the engine to cool properly. The fan kicks in after about three, and then again at about six minutes. And it's nice to be able to sit in my car with the engine running and not see the petrol gauge go down!
Incidentally, I have noticed that the paintwork on the A pillars of my car is dulling as a result of the heat output from the grilles (see Bloomin' Paintwork).
Old 30 June 2000, 09:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

When I'm about a mile or so away from the destination I slow down, take it off boost and keep it in a high gear where possible.

Then when I get there let the track on the stereo finish, remove Stereo front panel and place in it's box. Check for lights being left on, retract aerial and then wait a further 30 seconds listening to the car idle.

This achieves two things. Firstly I hear the wonderful plink plink of the car cooling down and secondnly I can listen for any potential problems with the car.

It's also important to let the brakes cool down before putting the handbrake on.

It's a pain in petrol stations but the period of off boost should cover me in case I forget.

[This message has been edited by Neil Smalley (edited 30-06-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 10:07 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Got a turbo timer, but it's not hooked into the alarm, so when I press the plipper the doors simply lock. On the occasions where I want to leave the car in this state, which ain't ver often, then I'll also use the steering lock to lock the steering wheel, thus if a git gets in, he ain't going nowhere!

Usually the idletime is not a problem as I've got to put the stereo away, get the kids out, and remove a traumatised Weimaraner puppy from the hatch! This usually takes around 1 - 5 mins.
Old 30 June 2000, 10:24 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

I just normally sort out the stereo, make sure lights/air con/all buttons are back to where they should be, finish singing along to a tune(!), move the seat back (sometimes) in case hubbie gets in, smile at passersby who give me funny looks. Suppose could always clean off any bird s**t.

In the garage - different problem - just sit and fiddle importantly with something for a minute or two!

Old 30 June 2000, 10:57 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

If I'm coming off the Motorway or after good drive around the lanes I do the 'five minute wind-down' on the way home, which is easy as its all 30, then pack away the stereo, put the disclock on, pick my jacket and bags out of the back then, finally, turn the engine off.
Old 30 June 2000, 11:11 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sorry guys! but 1 minute is no way near enough time to cool the engine and turbo down especially after hard driving! Normally it should be at least 2-3 minutes and when on track it should be 5 minutes. I would invest in a turbo timer instead of counting seconds and try and find an Automatic timer which calculates the time pending on engine temperature and throttle.

Well worth the investment, I think its because of the Auto Timer my car has survived after track days otherwise I would have switched off after 2 minutes. The minimum time most good Auto timers show is about 50 seconds and thats only popping to the shops.

The timers do decrease when in traffic and not using the turbo, well worth buying. You can also have them so that your steering locks and the alarm is armed as soon as you get out.

Harj....
Old 30 June 2000, 11:23 AM
Kevin T
Scooby Newbie

Harj,

Where from?
Old 30 June 2000, 11:29 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

All my regular journeys end with traffic or 30 mph zones and carparks with gates. I very rarely get to park up immediately after a razz, except on runs at meets.

Going home, faffing about unlocking the doors to chez nous and the garage occupy 2 mins or more and the approach to home is always off boost anyway.
Old 30 June 2000, 12:06 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

greg2,

how very true.

I thank god for the turbo timer. Im a hop in, hop out sort of person and the minute hanging around was seriously p*ssing me off. I found embarrising sitting in the car like a dummy, made even worse if you are with a group of people.

My main problem now, sometimes after I disarm the alarm, I get a passerby asking me questions about the car. By the time I actually get in and start the car the engine is immobolised and in the process of trying to get it going again I generally set off the alarm. You dont half feel a bit of prat when that happens.

bkar
Old 30 June 2000, 01:33 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I've had a Clifford Concept 300 fitted to my car for some time now, and the timer facility is a standard feature on all of the Concept alarms I believe.
It can be used for a number of different things, but I too chose to use it as a tt.
The length of time is user-changeable via a pc interface, and mine is currently set to 2 mins, though you can turn the engine off with a button on the key fob (great outside pubs! ) if you want to. The engine will not cut out if someone breaks into the car while the engine is running, but they won't get very far if you've engaged the steering lock and the car will go off anyway after the relevant time.
Some may say it's a bit risky (and illegal) but if it's prolongs turbo life I reckon it's worth it.
If you leave your headlight switch on when you leave the car, when you return pressing the same button will turn them on again, handy when trying to find you car or see where you're going!
I think it bascially just turns the ignition on or off, so whatever features are on at the switch will be activated.

Stef.
Old 30 June 2000, 05:07 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

So, whilst a tt is a cool way to save your turbo, it makes the alarm fail Thatcham approval (despite the fact that your car cannot be driven off) - so you are not insured.

Are you just assuming that your insurance company won't find out?
Old 30 June 2000, 05:33 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Triggarr,

The Clifford 300 has Auto hijack feature. I didnt want it as I though it may be a bit of an **** when you start the car and your passenger comes in later - which always seems to frigging happen to me - bloody women.

I hear conflicting stories about Turbo timers on the Clifford 300 and whether its Thatchams approved or not. Mine is configured that way and I have the Cat. 1 certificate. Because you have to deliberatly press buttons to activate the timer prior to turning the ignition off I cant see why anyone would be any of the wiser even if it wasnt Cat. 1 approved.

Seems like a good enough alarm. The immobiliser is a pain in the **** at first because if you dont start the car quick enough after dis-armining it, it immmobilises itself. I generally find the process of re-activating the car causes the alarm to go off. This is user error and I dont seem to do it so much now. You dont half feel in idiot when it happens in a busy area though :P . I believe all Thatchams Cat 1 alarm have to work this way so it is not reflection on the Clifford 300.

It cost me £350 fitted.

bkar

[This message has been edited by Bright Kar (edited 30-06-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 05:59 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

i normally sit there and dream about the next mod to do , shame my bank account won't let me carry out the mods,still i can dream,nick.
Old 30 June 2000, 07:40 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Try this,

1)Drive slowly for the last 30 seconds
2)Stop, handbrake on.
3)Have a good look around you for some top totty
4)Take sunglasses off and put them in case
5)Stick hand down side of seat to find keys, can, chocolate bar, paper that whizzed off seat when you were cornering.
6)Switch off stereo, remove facia, stick it in box.
7)Check out young blonde that just walked past.
8)Look out over bonnet and curse the farquing birds that have **** all over it.
9)Dream about driving on the back roads
10)Switch off engine

Stuart
Old 30 June 2000, 07:44 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

How come Audi dealers aren't bothered about TT's cooling off?? Hoping for more garage business???

Edward, you could choke the chicken several times in 5 minutes
Old 01 July 2000, 12:25 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Trigaaaar, the alarm does not fail the Cat 1 status once you add a TT (or so i am told by my local installer). The base alarm is Cat 1 and ADDING bits to it does NOT detract from its status - this is what i am told anyhow!.

I only allow 1 minute is i have been driving carefully home. If i have been spanking it then i allow at least 2-3 mins - i just sit and listen to radio/cd!.....like last night 2am after a lovely blast in the cold damp air :-)

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 01-07-2000).]
Old 02 July 2000, 02:32 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

MTR

[This message has been edited by MTR (edited 17 September 2000).]
Old 02 July 2000, 05:47 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Try this
Stop car,
Turn off ignition,
Get out of car,
Lock car and walk off.
Only keep the car 1-3yrs
Warrentee
Old 02 July 2000, 07:29 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

So, as some of us DONT have clifford alarms, what are some good/best makes of turbo timers to get, and how much should it cost?

Thanks Dan
Old 02 July 2000, 08:12 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Has anyone ever come up with a direct reading Turbo temperature meter?

It should be fairly easy with a thermocouple and a digital temperature meter.

This way you could guarantee it wasn't going to boil your oil

Chris

Quick Reply: The 'cooling off' minute. What do you do during the wait?