Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo 8 Mr 340 vs Sti MY02 Vs WR1 I know its been done before BUT (BIG BUT)

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2004, 09:51 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 8 Mr 340 vs Sti MY02 Vs WR1 I know its been done before BUT (BIG BUT)

A friend of mine brought an mr 340 round the other day (on loan from mitsubishi ) so we had all day saturday to drive our 3 cars back to back for a comparison they were

An my02sti Mine 14000 miles

A Wr1 his 3200 miles

An mr340 Mitsubishi demonstrator 9000

the results were interesting to say the least our conclusion at the end of the day was:-

Evo mr340 certainly an amazing machine , the seats were by far the most supportive but that would restrict severely the larger or more oddly shaped person. My sti has leather and therefore didnt give the same levels of support as the wr1 due to you moving slightly against the leather therefore

1 Mr340
2 Wr1
3 Sti

Ride quality a difficult one depending on how you view it pure handling we thought the evo then wr1 then sti everyday driving tho completely reversed due to the bouncy nature of the mr340 and the droning noticed on the wr1's larger wheels with the back windows down

trackday/fast road 1 mr340 Normal everyday driving 1 Sti
2 wr1 2 WR1
3 sti 3 mr340

Now comes the fun bit....... we then tested the performance of all 3 vehicles against each other on standing starts rolling starts etc etc etc

and............................

to say i was gobsmacked is an understatement i thought my car was quick but could not believe it compared to the other 2 even from a rolling start at 30mph mine held its own and by 4th gear was pulling ahead (slightly) from the evo.......... the evo compared to the Wr1 was quicker. We are not talking huge margins here but they were visible.... there wasnt a single performance test we did where any of the cars romped away from the other
it therefore lead us to realise that all the quoted figures etc etc mean NOTHING in the real world as the only was we could get any of the cars to pull ahead a lot from the others is by getting the drop on the other driver or one of us fluffing a gear change

1 My02sti
2 Mr340
3 Wr1

Noise wise the evo seems muted doesnt every really seem to get on song maybe a new backbox would help, the wr1 sounded nice but didnt really let go a high revs, it seemed to get to a pitch then level off, mine however changes pitch as you go up the rev range finally sounding like a jet engine after 6000 rpm to the redline (yes it has a subaru backbox on it)

1 My02sti
2 Wr1
3 MR340

Interior wise the Mr340 certainly has raised its game since cars of old but still isnt in the scoobs league however the leather sat nav & dvd did it for my car

1 My02sti
2 Wr1
3 Mr340

our conclusions were My02sti 3
Mr340 2
WR1 1

we didnt factor in looks (lets face it none of them are supermodels) that we left purely to choice of owner just like colour. Niether did we factor in MPG as (who cares) when looning around your going to use lots of it Pricewise they are all similar(ish)

MY02sti £30000
Wr1 £30995
Mr340 £33995

As can be seen these are purely personal views and i would welcome constructive (and will expect abusive) comments on the above

Overall pure trackday seat of the pants probably the Mr340 (but would you really buy a new Mr340 to trackday it????????

Everyday the sti and im still enjoying it 2 years laterand the best thing my MY02Sti is pretty rare now doesnt have huge wings and is becoming a bit of a sleeper

All in all an excellent day 700 miles covered between the 3 cars a few fill ups 7 hours of driving 1 barbeque and some beers to finish the day................... perfect

hawk
Old 26 May 2004, 09:59 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

did the evo have sat nav and leather?
Old 26 May 2004, 10:07 AM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a fun day had by all Hawkeye & really interesting to read your views on the three cars, so I guess at the end of the day it really boils down to personal preference regarding which car you buy as there dosn't appear to be much between them (unless you fluff a gear change )
Old 26 May 2004, 10:11 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

nellie

yes and no the Evo had part leather and alacantra??? and the sat nav was this smartnav nonsense thing that you pressed a button on ugggghhhh didnt like it at all.

the seats deffo better than either subaru but (overall) cabin quality on subaru still higher...... the evo is getting there tho

Last edited by hawkeye; 26 May 2004 at 10:11 AM. Reason: to make easier reading
Old 26 May 2004, 10:20 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

its that smart nav,bit weird that,cant beat a screen!
Old 26 May 2004, 10:23 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Liam yes it was a great day and it really does boil down to personal preference (IMHO) it was great to drive all 3 back to back (how many times does anyone get that chance) and on real roads in real conditions none of this (oohhh mine mught have had heatsoak nonsense) its how the perform out of the bag that counts not after spending hours perfecting everything....... i was incredibly impressed how well my car stacked up tho..

I bought it from a uk dealer 2 years ago and then they said it has about 320 bhp since then ive put an sti air filter on it and it certainly goes well for an (old) car LOL

fantastic day just sitting waiting for the flaming to start and hopefully some more constructive views from people

enjoy your WR1 its a great car
Old 26 May 2004, 10:25 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

agreed nellie mine has a motorised screen hence the placings for its interior...
Old 26 May 2004, 10:48 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Good review - Must point out your car is not exactly a standard 265ps My02 Sti

I thought the MR seats were half leather with Suede not alcantera??
Old 26 May 2004, 10:54 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

You beat me to it Matt w... re 265bhp.....

Haweye - How fast is your MY02STi???
Old 26 May 2004, 11:00 AM
micky
Scooby Regular

yawn yawn
Old 26 May 2004, 11:29 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

matt

no its not but the point is my car is 2 years old and was dealer bought with about 320 bhp - when did the prodrive kits comes out??? after my car was bought me thinks my review was a first hand experience of my car and 2 others as to the seats it may have been suede we were too busy driving them really

Prodrivesti dont know really but its quicker than an MR340 and a WR1

Micky ok fair comment but I had a fun day and thats all im posting about im sure you know better tho
Old 26 May 2004, 12:05 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkeye
matt

no its not but the point is my car is 2 years old and was dealer bought with about 320 bhp - when did the prodrive kits comes out??? after my car was bought me thinks my review was a first hand experience of my car and 2 others as to the seats it may have been suede we were too busy driving them really

Prodrivesti dont know really but its quicker than an MR340 and a WR1

Micky ok fair comment but I had a fun day and thats all im posting about im sure you know better tho
I know, however what the heck is it. It is completely unique, how many others are on the road. You have one hell of a car, almost like a prototype.
Old 26 May 2004, 12:13 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

hawkeye Have you only got a PPP or something else??? to beat MR340 it cannot be just a PPP?
Old 26 May 2004, 12:30 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

matt & Prodrive it is something special unfortunately when i first posted about it I got flamed big time ..... go back to school etc etc etc so after talking to chiark i kept my head down and let everything settle now however ive managed to test it back to back with some other performance cars and its done just what the dealer said it would

the car is UK dealer bought, when i took it to revolution in newcastle the owner thought it must have been a one off that "slipped thru" the net so to speak as just over £30,000 isnt your average price for a new sti 2 years ago........ it certainly goes very very well, comes on boost @ 2500-3000 then comes on strong at 3500 then kicks AGAIN @6000 ish feels like a cam change right to the red line (if you want to)

Id look forward to a meet with a fellow scoobynetter to discuss and upset the women in our lives

Im not interested in the mines better thans yours syndrome i was called eliteist and all sort when i first posted (there are LOTS of scoobs quicker than mine) its just that mines that bit different

Paul
Old 26 May 2004, 12:44 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

haweye - it must have been a one off that "slipped thru" the net so to speak as just over £30,000 isnt your average price for a new sti 2 years ago........

2 years ago the car RRP was £27,500 + £1999 (if PPP was fitted) = £29,495 so its not a million miles away from 30K.

Sounds like you have a top motor - would luv to see some pics.

Enjoy beating all those evo's
Old 26 May 2004, 01:10 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Prodrivesti

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=100749&page=1

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=103749&page=1

these are two of the threads regarding my car and some pics on second + third page

you can see i got some stick regarding it not as much as the first thread tho.

Sorry cant do clicky's

Also if memory serves me right £27500 was the prodrive version mine ISNT hence the sleeper comment.. and also PPP wasnt available when i took delivery of mine
hawk

Last edited by hawkeye; 26 May 2004 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Damm it auto-clicky's excellant
Old 26 May 2004, 01:30 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

hawkeye,
thanks for the reviews,not many people can say they have driven all 3 cars,the only subaru i have driven is my own(MY02 WRX).reading your other threads it seems some people can't wait to shoot people down,anyway ,thanks for the comments(lucky cu*t).

Do you live near Thirsk by any chance?,have a feeling iv'e seen you.

Mac.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:32 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

indeed i do!!!!!!!!!!!! whooooahhhh im famous LOL

are you from around here??

paul
Old 26 May 2004, 01:40 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Given the similarity in performance etc etc., only one question remains:

What did you have on the BBQ?
Old 26 May 2004, 01:42 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Paul,
I live on the old RAF base outside topcliffe,think iv'e seen your car in thirsk,nice one,thought it was a standard WRX ,but nice stealth car mate,where do you fill up now as the busby stoop stopped being a shell garage a couple of months back.

good to know someone else in the area.

Mac.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:44 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

LOL

put it this way the food was cooked to perfection, the only thing that got smoked was the MR340 & WR1 LOL
Old 26 May 2004, 01:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Hawkeye

I remember the flaming you got Must admit tho' your post count was low in those days (hell it aint great now ) and that is why, I beliveve people questioned it.
Old 26 May 2004, 01:48 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

bluenose

at the moment i sometimes go to busby stoop the sell SUL or Esso SUL then put octane booster in or when im on my travels get Optimax..... i cant really say ive noticed any performance drops since using Total SUL on the pump it says 98ron???

paul
Old 26 May 2004, 01:51 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Mattw

thanx for that now im in-famous LOL yeah i remember those well i didnt really know anything about the car and was trying to find out as much as possible well i got it and have enjoyed it since. I keep trying to get my posts up but im not eliteist enough to be in your league lol

paul
Old 26 May 2004, 01:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkeye
Mattw

thanx for that now im in-famous LOL yeah i remember those well i didnt really know anything about the car and was trying to find out as much as possible well i got it and have enjoyed it since. I keep trying to get my posts up but im not eliteist enough to be in your league lol

paul
Well it's only that high because I keep having to defend the honour of my Evo on threads like this!!!
Old 26 May 2004, 01:55 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Well it's only that high because I keep having to defend the honour of my Evo on threads like this!!!
the evo is a great car and its a shame when people try to put it down unfairly im extremely happy with my car and would be extremely happy with an evo i wouldnt however have a Wr1 over my car but thats another story..........

FLAME SUIT ON

paul

Bluenose you have a pm

Last edited by hawkeye; 26 May 2004 at 01:56 PM. Reason: bluenose pm
Old 26 May 2004, 02:52 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

yours must be in excess of 350hp!!!!,cause the MR340 is a very conservative figure with most FQ330s putting out around 345hp,the MR is around 355hp and a lot lighter than your STI7,you sure it wasnt a 260? LOL
Old 26 May 2004, 03:05 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Default Rolling Road

hawkeye,
You ever had your beast on the RR
Old 26 May 2004, 03:29 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Nellie

it deffo was an mr340, the 260 LOL no it wasnt one of those. nice to drive 3 cars with 6 speed boxes aswell made changing vehicles easier. The other thing is that there are good cars and bad cars who knows whether we tried a "not so good" mr340?? but 3 cars back to back and they were our findings others will differ. However when i change my MY02sti subaru are going to have to bring something special out to stop me changing to an MR340!!!

Prodrivesti

never had it on a rolling road, i dont know how much hp it has dealer said 300-320 ish but all i know is that it is a very well sorted car which drives great and pulls cleanly to the limiter.........and when a Wr1 gets behind me it wont be me pulling over to let them past

paul
Old 26 May 2004, 03:45 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Oh well,
Sounds like your scoob it sorted
How did you come to have the MR340 for the day??

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Mr 340 vs Sti MY02 Vs WR1 I know its been done before BUT (BIG BUT)