Sponsored by:

1800 miles round trip

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 01:47 PM
Psymon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1800 miles round trip

Took the Scoob to France over the last 5 days to watch Moto Gp at Le-mans this sunday. What a trip.
The French roads are far far better than ours. I never saw a single Subaru of any sort except a Forrester which was english. The French went mad every where I went, I had people staring at me in every village and town i went through it was amazing.
As for the car, well it didn't miss a beat, even the coolant temp didn't even move when i was leaving Le-mans and stuck in Mayhem traffic for nearly 2 hours. The Police left me alone too, just giving me a smile as I passed them.
The only down to my trip was a had a stone hit me on a motorway and its cracked my nearside , inside Morrette (MY02).
Any one know where I can get a replacement. ?
If you want to feel even more special than you are now go to France, you get the full VIP treatment. As for the Moto Gp, that was stunning too, first time, the noise is amazing.....
Now gotta spend a day cleaning her, there bugs every where and she's looking a bit sorry for herself.
Si..
Old 18 May 2004, 02:13 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

Going over to France then into Germany form the 2nd July in mine.
Old 18 May 2004, 02:40 PM
Psymon
Scooby Regular

You will enjoy , believe me....
Old 18 May 2004, 02:42 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Talking

I could almost have written this myself, it seems we've had a very similar experience, (apart from the Moto GP bit).

Great roads, stone chips, stares, bugs, traffic jams in baking heat, and not another scooby in sight. Judging by the driving, most renault/citroen/peugeot drivers didn't know what the scoob was, which made for good entertainment!
Old 18 May 2004, 03:58 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Its a fantastic way to have a holiday. Took my EVO V on a 3500 mile trip to Venice (at 20mpg and 200 miles max to a tank). Some fantastic roads in the Alps. Had a run with a 911 GT2 through the road tunnels around Lecco up the side of lake Como, fantastic !

The Vosges in France (does anyone know how to prononce that) between Nancy and Mulhouse are worth a look. The autoroutes go round them, but the roads through a absolutley amazing, good surface, winding up and down the hills, dramatic views and relativley free of traffic.

Oh, but I did get pulled by the Italian police for a licence check, so make sure you carry it.

Last edited by Gary C; 18 May 2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 19 May 2004, 12:33 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

What petrol do I need to look out for over in France/Germany then if I want fo fill up with decent stuff eg RON98 or equivalent?

Thanks
Old 19 May 2004, 01:02 PM
Psymon
Scooby Regular

All the petrol stations sell Ron95 and Ron98, Most of the major routes have what teh equivilent is in english. Just look for 98, or what they call super. Thats all i put in, prices are bout the same as they are over here at the mo.
1800 miles cost me bout 280 quid, which i thought was quite good.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:06 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Sounds like you had the full on Impreza in France experience- apart from the €90 fines that is.

I live here and it's amazing how few Subarus of any type you see here- I know of 2 others in the surrounding towns and see very few when I'm out and about.

The best thing is the look on the faces of drivers of "quick" cars when my "slow" old estate car leaves them trailing in its wake.
Old 19 May 2004, 01:30 PM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Psymon
All the petrol stations sell Ron95 and Ron98, Most of the major routes have what teh equivilent is in english. Just look for 98, or what they call super. Thats all i put in, prices are bout the same as they are over here at the mo.
1800 miles cost me bout 280 quid, which i thought was quite good.
I took my scoob over to France for 2 weeks at Easter, Went to paris, bordeaux, Costa Brava spain, frejus, monaco, and St alban in the Ardeche. Was a great laugh bout 3200 miles round trip. Think we spent around 320 - 340 quid on petrol in total.
But worth every penny!
Great roads and great reception from the french at seeing a Scoob!
Old 19 May 2004, 03:23 PM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar experience last year. Drove down to Narbone last august in up to 45 deg heat (thank god for the A/C), for two weeks camping. Great roads, and the French seem to know how do drive on motorways - they only use the outside lane for overtaking, so no sitting behind some tw*t at 60 mph in the outside lane. Only saw one other scoob while I was over there, but the car turnt heads were ever we went, even had a buch or kids shouting Subaru!, Subaru!, Subaru!, when driving through one small town. Would highly recommend a blast over the channel if the opertunity arrises, it'a a bit of fun matching the km/h speed in MPH!