Sponsored by:

Type R and RA owners - question

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 01:29 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R and RA owners - question

when using the DCCD - set to GREEN - does it still making clanking sounds and the rear wheels grab during slow tight turns?

is it usual to here a whirring sound from the rear of the car - im thinking its the rear diff?
Old 17 May 2004, 01:30 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

yep. lift the handbrake slightly and it will release the diff.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

sorry, when you say set to green, do you mean fully open (ie 1st green) or two greens. shouldn't make the noises when only 1st green lit as diff is open.
Old 17 May 2004, 01:37 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still get a judder even on the second green. Its quite normal though. Obviously on the first green the diff is fully unlocked so you wont get it then

Is it a Type R you have? Good to see you bought the best scooby ever made
Old 17 May 2004, 01:59 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

yup a type R ver V v-ltd - wanted one for ages! completely different car to the WRX I had.

this is on first green - full open - its still clunking and grabbing at the rear wheels. I need a fellow owner to check it out. maybe im paranoid but I think the diff will not go full open.

I have just imported it - so I am having a friend translate the service history. The car is highly modified - i.e. bolt in roll cage , fully adjustable suspension (looks like DMS 40mm),
Old 17 May 2004, 02:02 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

WOW!!!!!!!!!! You really do have taste! You have exactly the same car as me
Old 17 May 2004, 02:44 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get the whirring on my RA mate, only had it a week but I pressumed normal with that fancy diff of ours
Old 17 May 2004, 02:58 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
this is on first green - full open - its still clunking and grabbing at the rear wheels. I need a fellow owner to check it out. maybe im paranoid but I think the diff will not go full open.
Hmmm thats odd. I dont get that on mine. It does whine but i dont get any klunking when its fully unlocked Have you tried putting it fully locked and reversing? It should be really juddery. Just to check the torque split is exchanging at all?
Old 17 May 2004, 03:07 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Im away during the week - but will try that on Friday. But I did do a slow turn going forward and wound the diff lock on and it got very clunky, took it off and you could feel it freeing up to some extent.
Old 17 May 2004, 03:18 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

just had a read of J Felstead`s thread (excellent by the way) and if a problem occours with the DCCD - apparently the DCCD indicator will flash at 1 second intervals - so im probably paranoid and just getting used to the car.
Old 17 May 2004, 03:24 PM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Well you learn something new everyday! I didnt know that! Hope you get on ok matey
Old 17 May 2004, 03:30 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

not sure what people are talkign about here.

it shouldnt be whiney or juddery at all when it is fully unlocked.

the lights on the gauge are not distinct point, the dial is continuously variable from fully unlocked to fully locked. ie. early second green to you might be late second green to someone else, or vice versa.

Even when it is fully locked it should not make any noises whatsoever in forward or reverse if you are travelling in a straight line.

The noises come from the diff not wanting to allow a speed difference between the front and rear axles.

In a straight line there shouldnt be a speed difference unless your wheel circumferences aor final drive ratios are significantly different, which I would not expect to be the case unless you have changed the tires at different times.
Old 02 June 2004, 11:42 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are all DCCD's the same?

I've just bought a V5 type r and it feels totally different to my old uk turbo. On anything near fully lock, even at parking speeds it feels like the tyres are skipping about but when you straighten up a little all is well again. Also as I'm still a little ham fisted with the clutch if I'm not smooth enough at pulling away I can hear clunking from the rear diff. Is this all normal?

I've only driven it with the diff fully open so far but hope to experiment with it soon.
Old 02 June 2004, 11:44 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

i get the vibrating/clunking noise on the second green but as has previously been said the first green is quiet as a mouse
Old 05 June 2004, 08:31 AM
jrmwrx
Scooby Regular

HI just thought i would add my 2P worth ive had my ra for 5 years and the dccd was a bit clonkey every thing i have read above is quite common but my lock indicator started to flash and the the dccd locked up and ripped the locateing tabs off and the unit was left spining in the g/box. £2000 for a new one if you can find one beware flashing indecators
Old 05 June 2004, 10:02 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Playsatan
Are all DCCD's the same?
They all work under the same general principle, but the one fitted to the new age cars is a different component to that fitted to the classics.

I've just bought a V5 type r and it feels totally different to my old uk turbo.
That's not at all surprising. It works in a very different way to the centre diff in your old car.

On anything near fully lock, even at parking speeds it feels like the tyres are skipping about but when you straighten up a little all is well again.
That's normal, and the answer to that is to back the diff right off when parking/reversing/driving at slow speeds/in tight corners.

Also as I'm still a little ham fisted with the clutch if I'm not smooth enough at pulling away I can hear clunking from the rear diff. Is this all normal?
Always impossible to answer questions like that accurately without actually getting in the car and actually hearing/feeling what it does. Doesn't sound as though the centre diff is doing anything untoward, although you must be being more than a bit "ham-footed" to make the rear diff clunk when you pull off!

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
and if a problem occours with the DCCD - apparently the DCCD indicator will flash at 1 second intervals
Unfortunately, that doesn't pick up everything that can go wrong. The light will start to flash in response to problems in (or picked up by) the electromagnetic part of the diff, but random noises like whirrs or clanks could as likely as anything else be gear or bearing damage. As said above it's impossible to comment accurately on issues like this without hearing what the car's doing. If you're unsure, best way to find out would be to go along to a local meet and get someone with a bit more experience to sit in the car and listen to what it's doing.
Old 05 June 2004, 10:54 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

From experience, and I am sure GM will agree, the majority of flashing light dccd probs are electrical.

Many people don't bother to change their diff fluid, over time this will corrode the cable which runs through the diff. Either that or if someone who doesn't know about the centre diff takes the box off they often rip the cable out at the top plate without even realising.

simon