Sponsored by:

STI TYPE R

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 02:00 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI TYPE R

1999 on a "t". would that be an STi 5 or 6? What bhp as standard were these please?
dave
Old 16 May 2004, 02:16 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

It would be a version 5 and its rated at 300ps standard
Old 16 May 2004, 02:19 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
1999 on a "t". would that be an STi 5 or 6?
Almost certain to be a 5. Hasn't the seller said what version it is? If you've just got pictures, the most obvious visual clue is that the rear aerofoil on the 6 has an obvious extra kick-up toward the back of its chord. If you're actually going for a test drive, a 6 will only start if you have the clutch depressed.

what bhp as standard were these please?
Officially rated at 280, unofficially somewhere in the high 280 to high 290 range, maybe just over 300, depending on whether or not you're talking literally bog standard, which rolling road you use, what fuel etc.
Old 16 May 2004, 02:31 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Cheers GM! There's one just outside Preston,
1999 T Reg SUBARU IMPREZA STi Type R
2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Saloon, 23,000 miles, Sonic Blue Metallic, 2 Owners. Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, CD, Central locking, Colour coding - Body, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Power assisted steering, Spoiler. roof vent, rear privacy tints, bucket seats £12,995.
I'm half tempted to take a look, Any tips? never had a JDM!!
dave

Last edited by misty; 17 May 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 16 May 2004, 07:34 PM
jabbroni
Scooby Regular

Talking I had a Type R version 6

As above m8 if u want any advice PM me with your moby no. and I will pass on eperience of owning mine cheers m8
Old 16 May 2004, 09:16 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I'm half tempted to take a look, Any tips? never had a JDM!!
dave
Tips? From an owning or a buying point of view? Guess the first thing you should ask yourself is whether you'll prefer its blend of qualities compared with the (classic UK Turbo innit?) Impreza you have ATM. You'll find it a lot more rewarding to drive fast on deserted country roads, but it'll have even worse fuel economy than the UK cars, as well as having a fair bit stiffer suspension. It'll also most likely need to be run on Optimax plus octane booster.

Once you get past that, the first thing to check is that it genuinely is an STI. There's a thread on here recently concerning someone seemingly selling an STi Type R on eBay, when the pictures clearly illustrated a two door WRX. Main reason I'm saying this is because the spec snippet you quoted doesn't mention the driver-controlled centre diff, which is regarded as one of the biggest selling points of these cars, and thus it's a bit odd not to see it mentioned.

Once you know for certain it is an STi, take all the usual car-buying points about wear on the pedals, gearstick etc. reflecting the (lack of) mileage. The only mods that you should look at favourably are remaps by well known, reputable UK tuners. If you see a KnockLink, and/or the owner volunteers (i.e. before you ask) that it's always been run on Optimax plus booster, or has been remapped for our fuel, that's as good a sign as you can get that the owner knows/cares about running the car properly.

Pretty much any other engine-related mods - boost controllers, dumpvalves etc. etc. detract from the value of the car and thus you should treat them accordingly.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 16 May 2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 17 May 2004, 04:12 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, esp GM, as usual a mine of usefull info. As regards to dodgy car!!!it is for sale at a subaru dealer so think it should be ok?? Also I've put the full add on!!the thread now, Might go tomorrow for a look and see what deal they'll do?
dave

Last edited by misty; 17 May 2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 17 May 2004, 04:26 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Jabbroni - Can you pass your expertise on to me aswell. The car is in the NE near teeside airport.
Old 17 May 2004, 04:50 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

My mate actually phoned up about this car, and there is no service history what so ever with it, there no documentation at all that says when it was imported, by whom etc etc.
He avoided it like the plague, and in my opinion he did right to do so
Just thought I'd warn you
Old 17 May 2004, 04:57 PM
J4CK50N
Scooby Regular

Location: From : somewhere between here & there - also at wyioc.co.uk - are you?

Have had a type R for over 18 months and loved it (am in process of selling - cheap pop! ). As greasemonkey states running costs etc are higher than that of a UK scoob, but my personal opinion is that if you are wanting a drivers car then the Type-R is far superior to that of normal UK spec scoob.

Please bear in mind though the following before deciding anything:-

BAD
Worse fuel economy
Must run on Optimax + booster
Insurance higher
only 2 doors
Imperative that knocklink is fitted

GOOD
DCCD
Driveability
2 doors
Smile Factor!

Other people please feel free to add tothe good points coz there are many!

Cheers

J4CK50N
Old 17 May 2004, 04:58 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replies, esp GM, as usual a mine of usefull info. As regards to dodgy car!!!it is for sale at a subaru dealer so think it should be ok??
You'd hope so, but may also be a case of them not knowing what they've got. Even the full spec you've quoted mentions adjustable steering wheel, seats etc., but not a dicky bird about the adjustable diff! It may simply be, as mentioned, that they don't really know about the cars and thus don't know what the little thumbwheel on the handbrake console is for, but it's always better to be safe before taking a car dealer at their word!

Might go tomorrow for a look and see what deal they'll do?
dave
If you're going for a look, check that the Applied Model code is what it should be. STi5 Type R's are GC8F2DD, and STi6 Type R's are GC8G2DD
Old 17 May 2004, 05:47 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Cheers GM wilco!!

My mate actually phoned up about this car, and there is no service history what so ever with it, there no documentation at all that says when it was imported, by whom etc etc.
He avoided it like the plague, and in my opinion he did right to do so
Just thought I'd warn you
Where you at mate? Is this the same car? Bilsborrow on the A6?
dave