Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone got Recaro Start child seat?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2004, 08:30 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone got Recaro Start child seat?

Was looking to get one of these to go in my STi8 and was wanting to see how people rated them and if they fit STi8 OK.

The seat itself looks the dogs but looks ain't everything!

It also needs to go into my wifes Fiesta so if anyone has tried it in one of these too, let me know (MY03 Fiesta).

Cheers

Bogie
Old 13 May 2004, 09:48 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

They don't come out very well in tests done by people such as The AA and Which.
Old 13 May 2004, 09:58 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

I was going to get one but i read a test in auto express and it was slated on side impact test.
Old 13 May 2004, 09:59 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

same here looks good but aint the best by all accounts..
Old 13 May 2004, 11:29 PM
555ROB
Scooby Regular

I got one chap and it fits in the 22B and the Evo and in the missus fiesta 03 (hire car)

My little angel loves it too and falls sleep just as good as the other one we have )Maxi cosi priory i think?)

Looks the bis and people love it !!!!

ROB...
Old 14 May 2004, 01:38 AM
west lothian scooby
Scooby Regular

I spoke to evojkp about this very subject tonight as he has one for his kid and he said that it was a very good child car seat. i have always thought that it is better to ask someone who has got something rather than someone who has read an article about something

stevie
Old 14 May 2004, 02:15 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by west lothian scooby
i have always thought that it is better to ask someone who has got something rather than someone who has read an article about something

stevie
Normally yes, but in this case probably not. evojkp's kid is probably very happy in it but I doubt he has ran any crash tests......

I have no idea about this child seat but if a lot of serious organizations have doubts about it then I would be wary - lets face it they aren't there just to look pretty, though it does help....
Old 14 May 2004, 03:18 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by west lothian scooby
I spoke to evojkp about this very subject tonight as he has one for his kid and he said that it was a very good child car seat. i have always thought that it is better to ask someone who has got something rather than someone who has read an article about something

stevie
wls, unless evojkp has performed tests where he's crashed his car in all different types of crash scenario (especially side-on impacts), all he can really tell you is non safety related things, like what it looks like and how comfortable his kid is etc.

The main reason for having a child seat is for child safety. End of story. Looks, ease of installation, washable covers etc are all bonuses, nice to have but secondary to the main function of the car seat.

Bogie, I suggest you put more trust into reports from organisations which have conducted crash tests rather than the opinion of someone who is likely to have had no experience of the crash test performance.

BTW, at uni I did a design project on child safety restraint and have seen enough stats, videos and tests to last a lifetime. You never expect to use the safety kit, but accidents do happen. The price of a top performing child seat is still cheap compared to what you have invested in your child, and I'm not talking money. Do you spend money on designer Recaro looks or top spec performance ? Your decision.

Do scoobs support the Isofix standard for child restraints (i.e. built-in, properly engineered mounting points for child seat restraint systems) ?? Such systems are better for securing the child seat in vehicles.

Another thing while I think about it, although this may be a couple of years away yet. When they outgrow the child seat (age approx 4) they should use a booster seat until age approx 11. The reason is the lap part of the lap and shoulder belt is designed to locate against the pelvic girdle, which takes the loads in the event of an accident. But kids legs are short, sitting in the rear seats with their bum pushed right back so they are "sitting upright" with legs straight is uncomfortable. So they slouch. The lap belt is no longer positioned to locate against the pelvic girdle. In an accident you get "submarining" and the lap belt will ride up and do serious damage to the abdominal region and internal organs. Many parents think that an adult lap-shoulder belt is perfectly adequate for kids 4 years old +. It's better than no restraint at all, but is a long way short of providing proper protection.

HTH
BIJ

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 14 May 2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 14 May 2004, 05:36 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Start is ok, but kid needs to be at least 2 - 2.5yrs to be able to fit it comfortably and safely.
Old 14 May 2004, 10:11 AM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the feedback guys.

BIJ the Impreza does have isofix points.

What other "safe" seats have people got / tried / recomend?

Yeah the Recaro looks good but if it ain't the safest then I don't really want to put my Bambino in it. I want the safest money can buy for the wee fella. (Recaro isn't isofix either)

Cheers

Bogie
Old 14 May 2004, 11:42 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I have a Recaro Start and its a pretty good seat, but probably not the best on the market. It's been type-approved for safety and conforms to all the regs. It uses the exisiting seat belt which I don't think is really the best method.
The best thing about it is it is adjustable in just about every direction, so you won't need to buy another seat when the young un gets to a certain age.

If your car is MY01 or later, its fitted with Isofix anchors and you can buy an Isofix seat from the Subaru dealers. Alternatively the Volkswagen 'Bobsy' seat can also use the anchors.

[edit] this is the one available from the Subaru main dealers :

Part No. F410EYA000 Cost = £185.00 and its suitable for anklebiters from 8 months old to 4 years old.

Last edited by MJW; 14 May 2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 14 May 2004, 12:26 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

The Britax Duo Isofix will fit all >MY01 cars and is very secure.

I think it was the first Isofix seat approved for general sale i.e. fits lots of different cars. It's ~£120 from Halfords or ~£180 from a Subaru dealer (inc logo). Exactly the same seat as shown in the link above.

We've got two and they are superb, easy to attach and rock solid, almost no movement of the seat, not like you get with a seatbelt type.

Mark
Old 14 May 2004, 12:47 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

I'm an expectant Dad to be , so we've been looking for a similar seat, at first the Recaro was the must have, but after reading up on them we've decided to go for a Mama & Papas one.

Do a search for them, they look quite cool too!
Old 14 May 2004, 01:10 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

£199 for the recaro seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for britax or greco...... theyve been doing this for years!!!!

Mart
Old 14 May 2004, 05:08 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jamie Whitfield
I'm an expectant Dad to be , so we've been looking for a similar seat, at first the Recaro was the must have, but after reading up on them we've decided to go for a Mama & Papas one.

Do a search for them, they look quite cool too!

Jamie, I've got an RB5 and Mamas & Papas would'nt sell me any of their child seats because they didn't fit properly, so watch out!!!!!
Old 14 May 2004, 05:39 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll have to go down and try before I buy, I have a Focus RS at the moment so maybe it will fit?...
Old 14 May 2004, 08:10 PM
rickydiver
Scooby Regular

Cool Britax

I have just purchased the britax Kid car seat which is designed for 4years and older, this came out tops in the which test carried out earlier this year and was especially good in the side impact tests. The wee man loves it and it looks like it will protect him in the event of an accident.
Old 16 May 2004, 09:45 AM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well peeps, went to Halfords yesterday as they have quite a good selection to look at, inlcuding the Recaro Start.

The Recaro Start doesn't actually look that good in the flesh and the guy in Halfords (who really knew his stuff) said he didn't rate the Recaro that well and definately wouldn't sell it to anyone for a childunder 4years.

They had a nice Britax Isolfix one for £199 but on looking, my wifes Fiesta doesn't have Isofix, so no point of getting this seat as it will only be in the STi occassionally.

Ended up getting a Maxi-Cosi XP which is a really good seat and the guy said it was the next best one to the Britax Isofix seat. It was also on special and got it for £99 (£50 off), offer ends next week though.

Cheers

Bogie

Last edited by bogie; 16 May 2004 at 09:46 AM. Reason: crap kepboard (my typing skills actually)!!
Old 16 May 2004, 11:50 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

something else to take in to account- little ones do like their snoozes while in the car. The Recaro is absolutely crap for this as they fall forwards.

much better finding a seat that is rated well, the most securely mounting to your vehicle, and that reclines.

it makes them so much more comfortable.
Old 17 May 2004, 06:19 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more about the reclining seat.

I would never put a young child (<3-4 years) in a seat that didn't have it's own straps. I almost bought a Recaro but you have to be honest about your reasons for purchase. The Recaro is a seat for Dads not kids!

I used a Britax First Class (still fitted in the Impreza) and a larger Britax (Eclipse I think) in a Saab 9-5. Apart from the annoying rattling of the reclining mechanism, I would recommend these to anyone.
Old 17 May 2004, 08:27 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

The Subaru/Britax ISOFIX seat shown in the link is excellent. It comes with a top teather and can be fixed to the ISOFIX bars and the seatbelt which makes three securing mechanisms. It takes a lot of effort to get the shoulder staps on tight though!
Old 17 May 2004, 09:12 PM
Twohats
Scooby Regular

have a look here for ideas there are some very smart seats britax, graco all top makes and the first one even has pink handles so it would go with the sti's a treat (might check that one out myself)
http://www.dreamtimebaby.com/dreambabcars2.html
Old 17 May 2004, 09:30 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

We've got that Graco one for our youngest. Seems to be rated well and she loves it.

I'll re-iterate my earlier comment though- when they fall asleep they fall forwards, sideways etc etc and you don't half have to drive gently....
Old 17 May 2004, 09:38 PM
zenyck100@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

where can i find reviews on baby seats??? i just bought a recaro start a few weeks ago and all the comments on here are making me paranoid. i should have posted on here before i bought it (not like me not to).

Zen
Old 18 May 2004, 08:14 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zenyck100@hotmail.com
where can i find reviews on baby seats??? i just bought a recaro start a few weeks ago and all the comments on here are making me paranoid. i should have posted on here before i bought it (not like me not to).

Zen
Zen, don't get paranoid Child seat safety is continually improving. I would hazard a guess that even if the Recaro is not the best available right now, it would be rougly equivalent with the best just a few years ago.

If it is installed correctly and the little 'un is secured firmly in it, the performance in front/rear and offset front/rear collisions will probably be very similar. The difference with the best seats now is, I believe, that they have better protection in side impacts. ISOFIX is the way to go too, much better to have integrated seat anchoring points.

Naturally if you were buying new now then you would want to do the research and get the best. Is it worth binning that seat and buying another ? I can't answer that for you.

The Comsumer's Association (WHICH) are usually pretty good on child seat reviews, but I you have to join them.

Here is a link to an AA report, but I can't see when they conducted it and many seats (Recaro included) weren't part of the evaluation.
AA Report

HTH
BIJ
Old 18 May 2004, 09:48 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

my kids love their recaros...but i read up a bit and sold them- now use M&P or Gracco.

the recaro is the seat equivalent of a Zafira GSI......you have kids...you aint cool! Just buy the best product!

T
Old 18 May 2004, 09:50 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thats the only thing which is concerning me as my little boy is only 20 months old and when he falls asleep his head just "flops" not sure wether to hang onto the 2nd stage seat i have now which will last til he is 4 or just go ahead and get the graco one? dont really do long journeys too often maybe once a month
Regardles of how long or short the journeys are he will safer and more comfortable in one of the other seats with its own harnesses that you can recline.
Old 18 May 2004, 10:28 AM
bogie
Scooby Regular

Flaminsmart,

IF I were you I would hold on and use the seat you have until the wee guy is about 4years. We decided on a Maxi-Cosi Priory XP (I think that's what it's called)

The guy in Halfords said the GRACO one you are looking at was only for children of 4yrs and over. He also said it was a better seat (protection wise) than the Recaro Start!

Bogie