2 Litre turbo aged 20.

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 10:53 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Litre turbo aged 20.

Hi everyone,

I currently drive a saxo vts but im bored of it and want something faster/bigger.

Ive been looking into the usual hot hatches CTR,LCR,182 etc but i feel its not a big enough step forward in terms of performance and I would get bored again quickly.

Ultimately I want some time of impreza turbo though so ive have rung round but i cant even get quoted on one. Anybody got any ideas who i can try? Or am i just dreaming????????

Thanks for any help.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:57 AM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

No mate, you're not dreaming, there's folks your age out there driving Scoobys, but probably paying thru the nose for it... keep trying.. apparently Liverpool Victoria are good..
Old 12 May 2004, 11:01 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Thanks,

Il give them a try,

I forgot to mention i have 2 years no claims aswell which should help a bit.

But I also have 6 points and a theft claim which wont.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:02 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

Oops that did't quite work, Il leave the icons alone now.
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Try tesco's mate, i got insured with them when i was 22, so might have a chance with 20...!!!

G.
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I would have thought as long as you do not go for a modded UK or Jap import, one of the insurance companies will cover you... it may be a bit steep though!!

What's your NCB?

editted to say :

Just read your latest post (added during my post)

I think it's the theft claim not your age that's causing the problem m8

Last edited by scooby L; 12 May 2004 at 11:05 AM.
MattW
Scooby Regular

Regards L&V - Over 25's for Classic shape, Over 30 for new shape cars only AFAIK
Old 12 May 2004, 11:07 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

I have found alot of places wont insure no matter what until im a certain age.

So even if i won the lottery or something i couldn't get one.

So would anybody recommend the other cars i mentioned or would you just stick it out until i can get covered. My current insurer said they can quote me when im 21 so it only 7 months off. No idea what the price will be though, im paying £1600 a year for the VTS.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:14 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I'd stay with the VTS, nothin wrong with it really, it's only 7 months and it give's you time to find out which scoob you really want..

£1600 for the VTS?.... you prob are looking at double that with 6 points, 21yrs and a claim.... start saving..
Old 12 May 2004, 11:30 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

Ye i think im best hanging on.

I will keep coming on here tho to learn as much as i can.

Cheers.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:40 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

leave it mate, I like my car but they ain't that special to bankrupt yourself.

plus a std UK turbo is not that quick to be honest.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:42 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Last year i was 20, on a UK turbo, with 2yrs NCB (2 non-fault accidents which they DO charge for), 1£1690 That's with Tesco!

Andy
Old 12 May 2004, 11:52 AM
Sonic_Danny
Scooby Regular

Tesco is definately your best bet!
Old 12 May 2004, 11:58 AM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

To be honest i must admit ive heard a few people say that the newish std uk turbos arn't that quick, it doesn't but me off tho as it will still be twice as fast as mine and also comfortable/no rattles etc.

Unless I try and get quoted for an STI, lol. (now i am dreaming)
Old 12 May 2004, 11:59 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the Clio 172 / 182 / Cup - these cars are quick once rolling and handle good too. It would certainly be a step up from the VTS. One of these should keep you entertained till you're 25 and Scoob insurance is cheaper.
Old 12 May 2004, 12:04 PM
RVTS
Scooby Newbie

To all those who recommened me Tescos, thanks but:

My girlfriend works for Tesco and i used to be insured with them.

Apparantly tho shes told me they have introduced a "segmentation system" which puts evey car inro a group and you get acces to certain groups at different ages. Officialy my VTS was put into a group where you had to be 21.
They would have let me insure the VtS at 20 tho because i was inured before they brought this system in. Scoobys are in a group where You have to be 23/25.
Old 12 May 2004, 12:05 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RVTS
To be honest i must admit ive heard a few people say that the newish std uk turbos arn't that quick, it doesn't but me off tho as it will still be twice as fast as mine and also comfortable/no rattles etc.

no rattles LOL
Old 12 May 2004, 12:51 PM
disoy
Scooby Newbie

I am 22 and have been insured by Tesco's for the last 2 years on a UK 2000 Turbo. Best bet by far!
Old 12 May 2004, 01:17 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

i think the excess will be insane
Old 12 May 2004, 01:25 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I used to have a classic sport and when it went in for servicing I used to get an MY01 WRX as a loan car... compared to the sport it was outstanding in performance.. and I would not think a clio or saxo was sooooo much quicker than the sport in normal acceleration.... may be 1 to 2 car lengths to 60? so I would have thought a standard "lardy" new age would woop a VTS or clio sport 182 bla bla etc.... and a classic turbo would white wash them all.
Old 12 May 2004, 01:42 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

I was insured on a 98 uk at the age of 19 and with 0 ncb!!! And believe it or not was paying less then I do now at the age of 24. It was with What car insurance. I had 10% off everything e.g. New user (10%), tracker (10%) What car of the year(10%) etc lol. When it came to renewal they screwed me well over though. According to them, they cut me a 'special' deal at £3500+ ROFL. I then went with tesco (terrible company to deal with if u need to claim, wether its your fault or not! IMHO). It does sound like Tesco's door is shutting on the younger person. Shame because as bad as they are imo at claiming against, they were THE best chance for the younger person to acquire insurance.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do though m8.

Anthony
Old 12 May 2004, 01:58 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by scooby L
I used to have a classic sport and when it went in for servicing I used to get an MY01 WRX as a loan car... compared to the sport it was outstanding in performance.. and I would not think a clio or saxo was sooooo much quicker than the sport in normal acceleration.... may be 1 to 2 car lengths to 60? so I would have thought a standard "lardy" new age would woop a VTS or clio sport 182 bla bla etc.... and a classic turbo would white wash them all.
My MY98 was fully d-catted, boost upped to 1.15 etc. On one occasion, a rare occasion, I had a 'little tussle' with a 182's. The 'tussle' did take me by surprise and I was 'off boost'. He very quickly pulled a fer few cars lengths ahead of me and b4 I could get back on boost we had caught up to traffic. He proceeded to wined down his window, point to his car as shout 'respect, respect' (we were side by side on a duel C.). Once the traffic cleared we both 'tussled' again (this time revs were dialed in and boost at the ready. I did clearly and cleanly pull away from him but not half as quick as I would of thought. Point to the story is, don't underestimate 182 and the likes. Unless you have a long clear road to reel them in, they can and will embarrass a scoob, especially a std one!

Edited to say, is that 172's or 182's? whatever, potato tomato, I'm sure u know what I mean

Last edited by achad; 12 May 2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12 May 2004, 02:04 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RVTS

Same old discussion abot new shape versus old. They are extremely fast cars for what they are and it's the way you drive it.

A scoob at 5 seconds to 60 is more than quick enough for most applications?!?

It would be the VTR's image and build quality which would make me get rid of it, not necessarily the performance.

Brian
Old 12 May 2004, 02:15 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

With regards to the new system at Tesco - if you already have a policy you should be ok to do a change of vehicle.

Andy
Old 12 May 2004, 02:17 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

After trying to get insurance on my own recently I think they have increased the minimum age for insuring a Scooby at most companies.
I only found 3 companies that would touch me under 25 on one and I rang round quite a few (I'm 24)

Tesco
Admiral
Someone else who I cant remember but they wanted about £6k

Get something like a 200sx - 200bhp RWD and really cheap to insure if you fancy a change

Oh and I took out a new policy with Tesco aged 24 on a Scoob just this week so they must still be doing some under 25's.
Old 12 May 2004, 03:33 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cheeky69er
After trying to get insurance on my own recently I think they have increased the minimum age for insuring a Scooby at most companies.
I only found 3 companies that would touch me under 25 on one and I rang round quite a few (I'm 24)

Tesco
Admiral
Someone else who I cant remember but they wanted about £6k

Get something like a 200sx - 200bhp RWD and really cheap to insure if you fancy a change

Oh and I took out a new policy with Tesco aged 24 on a Scoob just this week so they must still be doing some under 25's.
Dito,
I think they double checked that I was over 23 with 3 or 4 years driving experience. Sorry can't remember exactly, but there does seem to be a new system inplace:/
Old 12 May 2004, 04:20 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

cheers achad,

Off boost I think everything is quicker than a scoob!! LOL.... I've been toasted by a Pug 309 ESTATE Diesel... PMSL (while I was not really paying attention at the lights) ...and was caught with low revs and minimal boost.

My point was when on the open road, and you catch up with 5 or so cars doing 50, the scoob will be able to pass them on many more opportunities than the clio..

I've had 205 gti's hounding me on many occasions, but as soon as it gets to multiple car overtaking, and cutting through slower moving traffic the scoob comes into it's own.
Old 12 May 2004, 07:47 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Hi there RVTS

I know its a scoob your afterbut i might have something you may be interesteded in.
I had a MY 98 uk saloon scoob 18 month ago then i had an unfortunate accident with a deer. wrote the car off so i was then left with the task of WTF to buy next. Sulking around i came across somthing a little different, 306 RALLYE. I was well impressed when i drove it, 170 bhp standard, 6 speed, 2.0 16v, light, passive rear wheel steering and handles perfect. Its been qouted best hot hatch of all time.

And if im totaly honest it will match any standard uk scoob up to a ton and and round the twisties.

im 22 now and im gettin rid of it for a legacy B4, i want a bit of comfort now. if your interested make an offer above my trade in ( £4495) and its yours

99 T
FPSH
Cambelt done at 40K
12 MOT
6 Tax

PM me if your interested, av got loads of pics of the car as well that i can e-mail you.

Jon
Old 12 May 2004, 08:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

did you try elephant, i am 24 with full ncb & paying under £700

as the name goes sti-04!!
Old 12 May 2004, 11:48 PM
fliptron
Scooby Regular

Default new car

sorry fella, dont think you gonna have any luck with insurance. in the last few months insurers have stamped down on who they're insuring now.

im 24, 7yrs ncd with a 95 wrx and tried the usual compnies, ie tescos, adrian flux etc all declined me until im 25, found the only company that will cover me is ensleigh @ £1250 fully comp.

so im thinking your gonna have to wait for a while. heard the 306 rallyes are quick, try toyota celica gt4 or mr2 turbo,

Quick Reply: 2 Litre turbo aged 20.