ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

RANT ALERT – Roundabouts

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 06:37 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RANT ALERT – Roundabouts

Surely they aren’t that difficult to understand????

Obviously I am mistaken having nearly had the front of my scoob remodelled this evening by a complete twonk going left from the right hand lane. Although I was performing the radical “straight on from the left lane” manoeuvre! I was still able to narrowly avoid an accident. More terrifying than the driving was the gestured explanation that he didn’t see me!!!!!!!

Every day I see “right from the left lane”, “left from the right lane” and “don’t give way if you are turning left”. Does anyone know if the highway code on roundabouts has changed??????

OK, that’s enough of that, back to my beta-blockers and a quiet night in in front of the telly!!!!
Old 11 May 2004, 06:48 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

get it all the time! does worry me the stanard of some peoples driving. lets face it, our driving tests arent exaxtly hard, the worst drivers just keep taking them till they eventually flook a pass.

these are the same people that doodle along at 25mph and flash you if you perform a 'dangerous' overtaking monuvere on a quite straight road!
Old 11 May 2004, 07:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ive developed a kinda 6th sense simmiler to bikers when it comes to roundabouts, but still get caught out now and again

really pisses me off, i feel sorry for people on bikes sumtimes when i see sum compleate turd head cutting people up or just not ****en indicating

turn right around the roundabout and dont indicate is my all time pet hate, ive actualy sensed this has started happening and ive just pulled out infront of them and give them the finger, then they put the indicator on (bit ****en late!!!)
Old 11 May 2004, 07:25 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm afraid I can even beat that.

A couple of days ago I was going right at a mini-roundabout (and I was indicating), when an old boy in a Jag pulled out straight across in front of me from the 9 o'clock exit. Luckily I saw him coming quite early and so braked to avoid hitting his drivers door, at which point he opened up with a string of verbal and the finger !!!!!!

I have no idea what planet he was from........
Old 11 May 2004, 08:35 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Must have been uranus
Old 11 May 2004, 08:37 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Iiiiii thank you
Old 11 May 2004, 08:51 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=benjai]Surely they aren’t that difficult to understand????

Does anyone know if the highway code on roundabouts has changed??????

Although I was performing the radical “straight on from the left lane” manoeuvre! /QUOTE]

Hmm. Ever wondered if your questionable lane judgement contributed to the other driver's mistake? I don't get why people drive around the outside land of roundabouts sailing past exits - it's always gonna confuse the guy trying to pull out on the roundabout ahead of you, as well as the guy on your right wondering why you are now occupying the piece of tarmac he wants to get to, and if you ever intend to turn off anywhere.
Old 11 May 2004, 08:58 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Angry

There's nothing wrong with taking the l/h lane to go straight on at a r'bout, provided you indicate left at your exit of course

My real pet hate is people straight-lining 2-lane roundabouts (ie; cutting from l/h lane to middle to l/h lane). Twice recently I've had to almost stop on a roundabout as people have driven right in front of me leaving yards of tarmac to their left!

It's even worse when someone tires to 'race' you (while not even driving at an excessive speed before anyone starts! ) so they cut the corner on purpose!!

aggghhhhhhh!!!

Best thing is just to drive as if the car in front/to the side/coming on/going off the roundabout is about to do the last thing you'd expect!
Old 11 May 2004, 09:04 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

How many times do you see people arriving to the right of you (i.e, 9 o'clock) and then not move AT ALL. Even though there's nowt coming from... anywhere?

Gimme a gun...
Old 11 May 2004, 10:10 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

Nice one WR1 (I assume you are joking)

If you aren't joking, I suggest you ckeck your position before posting. I of course did and hence the question about the highway code changing was rhetorical, I already knew it hadn't. Look at http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.shtml#160 and I wasn't straight-lining the roundabout, I was taking the second exit and I would have indicated if I had got there!!!!!
Old 11 May 2004, 10:37 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Wasn't suggesting you'd broken the Highway Code - I don't know enough about English motoring laws to do that. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, that's all.

Where I live, the left lane is for cars turning immediately left. Everyone else goes in the right lane. When you go past the exit before the one you want, you move over. That way you can never find a car to your left blocking the exit you want to take. Same is true everywhere else I've driven, for that matter (apart from Italy, where there are no rules!).

Must be why there are so many accidents on UK roundabouts.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

to repeal the turning right from the outside lane would be simplicity itself...

but they spend so mutch time on speed cams and persecution they dont care...

i agree and its usually new drivers and old duffers...

one day im gonna get an old tank, and when the next ****** does it i will remodell there door...

lol JOKING mart
Old 11 May 2004, 11:06 PM
benjai
Scooby Regular

You can make a case for going straight on from either lane (assuming the exit in question is a dual carraigeway!) but I don't think there is any way in which turning left from the right hand lane can possibly work !!! - Unless you have blue flashing lights of course
To be fair, I don't often see people turning left from the right lane, but there is an awful lot of turning right from the left lane going on. I once heard someone say that they always did this because "the left hand lane is the slow lane so it is safer!!!" - And they weren't being ironic.