Sponsored by:

Blitz on a WR1?

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 01:17 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blitz on a WR1?

My my02 Prodrive STi PPP is being part ex'd against a WR1.

At the moment I've got a Blitz Nur Spec R fitted, Should I sell the Blitz and stick with teh std WR1 kit or should i slap on the Monster

Thoughts?
Old 11 May 2004, 01:42 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Decat the prodrive pipe ... that's what I've done. Problem with Blitz is that without the decat centre section (Nurspec R) it sounds nowhere near as good as the prodrive burble and rasp!! With the decat centre there is none better - but warranty is an issue

Stick with Prodrive mate but decat it
Old 11 May 2004, 01:49 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Caution is the watchword here, I hope you've got some good boost and knock monitoring on that car Gangsta.

The "normal" PPP on the 03/04 STi's can get a bit peaky when running a decat exhaust, so it would probably be a fair bet to assume the WR1 is even more likely to suffer from these sorts of issues. The last thing you want is your new car doing its load before you've even got it run in, especially under circumstances where you'd have no warranty if the worst did happen.
Old 11 May 2004, 01:52 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Angry Doh!!!

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Caution is the watchword here, I hope you've got some good boost and knock monitoring on that car Gangsta.

The "normal" PPP on the 03/04 STi's can get a bit peaky when running a decat exhaust, so it would probably be a fair bet to assume the WR1 is even more likely to suffer from these sorts of issues. The last thing you want is your new car doing its load before you've even got it run in, especially under circumstances where you'd have no warranty if the worst did happen.
Why the **** would you buy a WR1 - oposed to a Type C import - and then invalidate the warrenty (IMHO the reason to buy the UK car) straight away by fitting an exhaust????

Agreed on the boost peaks.... just think - if you blow it up you can take it back to your dealer who can tell you your warrenty doesnt cover the mods and you can pay for a new engine

Some people have more money than sense.....

Jza
Old 11 May 2004, 01:57 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Gangsta,

Prodrive read this BBS and I'm sure they will be monitoring the realibility of the WR1 and threads on here regarding performance etc. You have in effect just invalidated your warrenty with your post if Subaru wanted to play hardball.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:20 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Please re-read my post ... my WR1 has not yet been delivered. Should have added in that was on my old 98 facelift scooby in which I had a prodrive system originally which I swapped over for just a blitz back box before I sold it.

re: this post I would still keep the prodrive system. It's supposed to be noisy enough to start with anyway. If you want more noise a centre decat is always an option!!

Old 11 May 2004, 02:24 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

BTW ...

A centre decat does not invalidate the warranty. Only when you remove the downpipe is the warrenty invalidated

Trending Topics

Old 11 May 2004, 02:24 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Eh? We can re-read your original post til the cows come home Gangsta, there is no reference at all either to the fact that your WR1 hasn't been delivered as yet, or indeed that your decat comment was in reference to an older car.

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
BTW ...

A centre decat does not invalidate the warranty. Only when you remove the downpipe is the warrenty invalidated
Erm, sure about that are you?
Old 11 May 2004, 02:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Fair enough Gangsta, a good lesson here where someone giving advice in good faith could potentially have dire consequences for the requester.

Always a good idea to mention what MY and Version the experience has been gathered from, as more and more models proliferate this BBS the advice is likely to get more focussed to individual specs.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:29 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

That is what I have been told greasemonkey ... so I am inclined to believe it!

A real nice bunch of people on here today ... especially love the comments about effectively evading a warranty above. No wonder some people don't bother posting up at all!!!!
Old 11 May 2004, 02:30 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

BTW ...

I think that will depend on how friendly the dealer is, I'd bet Subaru UK\IM would disagree tho'.
Old 11 May 2004, 02:40 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

lol ... last time I post anything up regarding my WR1, especially after I get it. I'll leave all the posting to the apparent experts who know all!!!!
Old 11 May 2004, 03:51 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Gangsta,

My post was aimed at protecting you and others that value their warrenty. If you modify your car that is your choice but you have no right to be upset when Subaru/IM/dealer reject your claim. If IM have evidence from this BBS that a car has been run with modifications they are within their right to reject the claim. As mentioned already reading your post implies you have carried out the decat modification to your WR1. IM have been "rumoured" to attend track days to take a note of cars on track to invalidate their warrenties so do not be surprised by the tactics IM adopt to refuse a claim.
Old 11 May 2004, 03:58 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Leave it as it came, its fast enough and the Prodrive box is E marked. (Well mine is)
I've seen too many threads where there is trouble from neighbours and the Bill with over loud exhausts. The Prodrive is about right, but then every one is different.
STEVE..........
Old 11 May 2004, 04:40 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Aside from any warranty issues, do not assume that de-catting the WR1 will increase the performance. The whole thing about removing the cat is mainly about the fact that you have removed the restrictive header design. With the latest spec that we have on the WR1, the design means that changing the downpipe to another one which doesn't have a cat fitted (or changing some of the other exhaust components) will not have the same effect as doing it to the std car.

Look at the whole exhaust issue in this way with respect to warranty; If it makes a difference to performance (surely the reason for doing it in the first place), then making those changes must have affected how the engine is working in some way. This means the warranty conditions have been breached, END OF STORY! The only components you can fit are those of an equivalent standard and we aren't talking necessarily about how well made and pretty it looks, we are talking about the standards it has been tested to. As far as I'm aware NO currently available aftermarket exhaust components are tested to the standards that Subaru UK require other than the ones that they distribute.

Mike
Old 11 May 2004, 04:44 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Agreed,

mind you if you want to hear an Sti or Wr1 (possibly?) sound very different change the backbox from the PPP one to the Wrsport one. OMG does it sound different at high revs "like a jet engine" and its Subaru/Prodrive approved too
Old 11 May 2004, 04:50 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

I thought the WR1 has the WR sport back box as opposed to the normal ppp backbox perhaps mike can confirm.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:55 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

dont think so the wrsport back box is oval the wrsport is round unless theve put a round pipe on a wrsport backbox, i thought the wr1 backbox was just for the wr1?
Old 11 May 2004, 06:02 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol ... last time I post anything up regarding my WR1, especially after I get it. I'll leave all the posting to the apparent experts who know all!!!!
i've felt like that recently too mate , totally understand !!!
Old 11 May 2004, 06:08 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

or should i slap on the Monster
That would suggest to me that he hasn't changed the exhaust yet....