Sponsored by:

Picking a backbox !

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 06:50 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking a backbox !

just wondered if anyone can help ?, has anyone fitted either of the two exhausts on the scoobyworld website, the afterburner vortex or the ninja. I am thinking of fitting one of them to my 04 sti uk, but doing so will invalidate the warranty so i was hoping someone has done so already can tell me whether or not they think it was worth doing.
Old 07 May 2004, 06:56 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

you would be crazy to blow the warranty for the sake of a backbox im sure there are a few warranty freindly boxes
Old 07 May 2004, 07:24 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

all depend's what you want if you don't mind it being loud have the vortex,i bought one for my wagon but the cabin drone was unbearable so i've just swopped for the ninja which for me is a lot better
Old 07 May 2004, 07:25 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

When i spoke to a subaru dealer he told me that if you fiited a backbox to a car still under warranty only the centre section would not be gauranteed ( ie ; that bit which it joins ) but you had better check.

I have had both the Ninja and Vortex fitted on my Classic. They are two different beasts.
The Ninja is much quieter but has a very nice flat four burble...excellent value for money at about £215.
The Vortex is a angled exit exhaust with a much louder and deeper tone and without a doubt gives considerable power gains ( i have a full decat system...and it is excellent on this set up).
Old 07 May 2004, 07:34 PM
Aly Mac
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for your help folks, ill have a word with the dealer and see what there stance on the matter is regarding the warranty and then see where we go from there
Old 07 May 2004, 07:44 PM
PC555
Scooby Regular

agree with pappasmurf .... spoke to a number of dealers before fitted the Afterburner Vortex backbox to my MY03 STI PPP... everyone of them said it would just invalidate the exhaust warranty.

As for the difference it made over the PPP backbox .... well I went for the straight exit pipe (just prefer the look) ... No noticable power increase .... but the sound is FANTASTIC!

Highly recommended
Old 07 May 2004, 10:27 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short... 03 STi PPP... Afterburner Vortex Angled Exit... Dealer said no problems with warranty... sound is enough to make me want to spend every waking moment driving the car... with all the windows open!!!
Old 08 May 2004, 04:22 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Default TSL Tornado

I own an STi UK MY03 and have fitted the TSL Tornado, the sound is a very deep grumble and is just what I wanted as it gets slighty throatier as the revs increase, must admit though I am having battery problems at the mo and it is booked in at the dealers so I have just swapped back to the standard lardy sounding back box (warranty issue). it has been interesting reading peoples experiences with the warranty issue because if it only affects the exhaust and nothing else then I would risk leaving it on but this seems to vary from dealer to dealer. The TSL Tornado is around 225 quid and is a stainless jobby, very well made in my opinion.

Ady
Old 08 May 2004, 06:32 PM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

I'm going to be turning my car back to standard while i go take it for PPP. So i'll have a TSL Firestorm backbox for sale. Only done about 5000 miles on ít. Any offers message me!