Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is PPP only after registration?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 07:57 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is PPP only after registration?

Seems odd to me. I'm sure there are legal reasons, but there are plenty of cars on the roads today with higher horsepower, and probably emissions etc, so why can't Subaru simply have the PPP version as another car in the range?

Is it legal, or money, or a bit of both?
Old 06 May 2004, 08:05 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

None of the above, you can only have the PPP fitted on a new car after it has been run-in (first 1000 miles)
Old 06 May 2004, 08:16 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Surely not as the WR1 is fitted without the run in period. I believe it is to get round emission rules and imports but someone else will verify...
Old 06 May 2004, 08:16 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by prodriva
None of the above, you can only have the PPP fitted on a new car after it has been run-in (first 1000 miles)
Err, no.
WR1 comes with it fitted as standard.
PPP is post registration to bypass EU emission regs.

Blobster
Old 06 May 2004, 08:26 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Bloody hell, it burns it burns. Flamed allready

There was no mention of WR1 (Limited-run Special Edition) so I assumed the original question was regarding UK spec WRX or WRX STI.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK you cannot purchase a NEW UK WRX or STI with the PPP fitted with 0 miles on the clock. You have to run the engine in first.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:37 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Blobster....... It's an emissions thing.

The PPP cannot be fitted to an unregistered car as it will break current euro regs. Once the car has been registered the PPP can be fitted, even if it has zero miles on the clock.

Midlife.....
Old 06 May 2004, 08:48 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Right then, who on this BBS has placed an order for either a UK WRX or STI brand spanking new from a Subaru dealership and had the PPP fitted prior to receipt of the keys. My good friend and fellow SNetter Del T ordered an '04 WRX PPP from the dealers in Aylesbury and was told the PPP could not be fitted until after the car had completed its first 1000 miles.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Bought my My03 with PPP fitted by dealership after PDI, the car had 20 miles on the clock.
Old 06 May 2004, 09:16 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It IS possible to buy a new Impreza with PPP, but as mentioned above you have to register it first and then get the PPP fitted. This is to avoid the PPP falling foul of EU NEW car emissions regs. EU 'Used' (I.e a registered car) regs are different.

The 1000 Mile thing comes in from an opinion that the engine should have time to bed in and have the running in oil changed to a heavier one before subjecting it to the additional work that the PPP puts on it.

If it were me and I had had the PPP put on from new, I would make sure I ran in the engine really carefully as the above kinda makes sense.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:03 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also bought my M04 wagon with PPP fitted from the start.
Thre was a delay in fitting PPP after the car was deilvered to the dealership, as the car VIN and number plate was needed to be registered with Prodrive.

Nick
Old 06 May 2004, 10:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The reason, or so I understand is emissions

PPP's remove one of the Cats from the exhaust system. These during normal operation and normal MOT emission tests are pretty redundant - which is why you can get away with taking them off.

They are only there to keep low emissions during cold starts and under heavy loads, when more unburnt fuel is passed through the exhaust which the one catalyst can't cope with - basically they just clean up any nasties that the 1st cat has missed. As there are Euro regs on cold start emissions and emssions under load for brand new cars. These don't apply once the car is registered (as it's covered by the MOT - which is less strict).
Old 06 May 2004, 11:28 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Even the WR1 has to be regestered and taxed before prodrive can change it from 265ps to 320 ps.
Old 06 May 2004, 12:23 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

I've just had an 04 WRX with ppp from day one too.
Old 06 May 2004, 12:34 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

So is the Impreza less efficient than other engines then?

eg, BMW M3, Any Evo, Audi RS

Or do some of those do similar tricks too?

It just seems like Subaru are missing a trick not being able to offer a 300hp 'out of the box'. the WR1 is a good start, all they surely need is an STI300 added to the catalog, using the same rules as WR1 (i.e. PPP post reg)
Old 06 May 2004, 12:39 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

None of the above.

The reason the vehicle must be registered is to get round the type approval.

The car with PPP should pass an MOT type emissions test.

David
Old 06 May 2004, 12:40 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

You've got to remember that both the M3 and RS get big BHP from BIG engines. Larger displacement = more power.

Subaru do have an answer in the 2.5 and 3.0 litre boxer engines. Whether we'll ever see these in a UK Impreza is another question.

Stefan
Old 06 May 2004, 12:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

David,

But doesn't a NEW CAR type approval involve stricter emmissions testing than an MOT test (which assumes the car is > 3yrs old)?

So, yes it does involve an emmissions problem. no?

Stefan
Old 06 May 2004, 12:45 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

New car type approval tests the emissions I would guess, and as long as they fall within limits then the vehicle would pass, and this would form the basis for MOT limits.

The sole reason the vehicle must be regested is so Subaru UK / Prodrive don't have to get type approval. I would guess this is expensive and time consuming.

David
Old 06 May 2004, 12:49 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Stefan,

There may be an emissions component to it but mostly I think it'll be a type approval thing. Lotus did the same with the Elise S2 and the 135bhp upgrade. Full vehicle TA starts at about £2M With the limited numbers of PPP cars it wouldn't be cost effective to put it through full vehicle TA.

There's also the issue that Prodrive isn't Subaru. There's probably all sorts of import hoops to jump through as it is.

J.
Old 06 May 2004, 06:43 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

My 04 WRX came with PPP as delivered, and they only got the insurance documents the day before, so I guess that they fitted it before registration. It was probably only a technicality, and if anybody asks it was immediately after registration (by the night shift???)
Old 07 May 2004, 02:56 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
Right then, who on this BBS has placed an order for either a UK WRX or STI brand spanking new from a Subaru dealership and had the PPP fitted prior to receipt of the keys. My good friend and fellow SNetter Del T ordered an '04 WRX PPP from the dealers in Aylesbury and was told the PPP could not be fitted until after the car had completed its first 1000 miles.
I also ordered my MY03 from Ayelsbury, and what they actually told me is that they recommend that you do not have PPP fitted straight away, but would do it if I really wanted them to.

Their argument was that it gives you a little time to get used to the power as it is (important for those new to scoobies), and that when you do have it fitted in say, 6 months, you have a whole new toy to play with. Also, as said above, it it better to put as little strain as possible on the engine until the first service.

In the end, it is up to you as an individual I suppose.