Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do modifications affect a cars value?

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2004, 11:34 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do modifications affect a cars value?

And if so to what extent, would you rather have a pre-modified car or one that you tinkered with yourself?

Would having a car tweaked by a previous owner put you off buying it, or are there certain mods which would persuade you to part with your hard earned?

For example:

If a UK MY99 was valued at, say for arguements sake, 9500 UKP and was completely standard and there was one for sale with exactly the same mileage, in the same colour, same amount of owners except had

TD05 FE Turbo
Dawes mbc
Link V5 ECU
OBX Equal length headers
Hayward and Scott Downpipe
Hayward and Scott Centre
TSL Firestorm rear can
K&N Induction
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
FSE Fuel Pressure Reg
Samco and Alloy Intercooler pipe
Quickshift
18" x 8" Speedline GT-Ones
Cusco Fully adjustable coilovers
Adjustable top mounts
Brembo 4 pots
AP discs
DS2500 pads
Goodridge lines
MRT brake bracket
OMP front strutbrace
STi rear lights
Morrette twin headlamps
TSL translucent fog lamp covers
Chrystal Front indicators and side repeaters
Mini bonnet scoops
Knocklink
Lambda Link
Link Handcontroller
Boost guage 52mm
Blitz turbo timer
Tailored mats
Panasonic CD Tuner

..which one would you go for and what would you expect the value to alter by?
Old 01 May 2004, 11:49 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

the modded 1 for me and save some money lol
Old 02 May 2004, 07:39 AM
NM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Personally it would depend on a few things

1. Who carried out the work on the car, someone like Roger Clark would give me good piece of mind thus IMO increase the value

2. Extent of mods, the MY99 you are talking about would have me thinking is it reliable ! Why spend all that money on a car and then sell it ?

3. If it was lightly modded, zaust, induction, wheels and suspension I would go for it. So if I was selling the car I would remove all other parts sell them on and then sell the car lightly modded.

Just my opinion

Neal
Old 02 May 2004, 11:17 AM
mw2655
Scooby Regular

it'll take longer to sell a heavily modified car, as a std/lightly modded car will appeal to a wider range of buyers.

you might be better off selling the mods separately.

cheers matt,

ps. how much do you wanr for the.................
Old 02 May 2004, 11:27 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ive always sold my cars for more then i paid for them, and thats with me leaving the mods on, i havnet actualy made any money when you take into acount the cost of the said parts, but i just consider it the same as renting a nice car for a few years

totaly depends on the car and its mods
i have been offerd 10k for my current car which was declined as its not finnished
i bought it for 8.5k 1 year ago and have defo not spent 1.5k on it, so its more then possible. just depends on the car and its condition
Old 02 May 2004, 12:26 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

What is "standard"? As most ppl remove mods and sell as "standard" then unless the seller is honest enough to tell you...

Agree with earlier point made. If I wanted to mod a car then I would feel a pre modded car was worth more in order to save me the cost of those parts, but... they would have to have been fitted (with receipts) by someone reputable.
Old 02 May 2004, 12:45 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

You will only sell a car for what people are willing to pay ofr it .

Myself i would buy the modded car(IF YOU ARE GONNA MOD ANYWAY) as you will have saved loads of money to start with

Dealers will ALWAYS add 1K/2K when selling a modded car and give you $hit all for it if you PX it back in

I guess if your buying private there should be some good deals out there but i would expect you will pay more for the same car at the dealer!
Old 02 May 2004, 04:24 PM
NM
Scooby Regular

The only mods that you have that I would pay a little extra for over a standard car are...

Prodrive 18" alloys
Prodrive Performance Pack
Prodrive lowering & progressive rate spring kit
Prodrive WRC front headlights
Sti titanium back box exhaust & straight through stainless steel mid sections

Therefore the rest of the mods only make the car more appealing if it was sitting next to a standard car and dont add value to the car.

So sell all the shiny bits on Scoobynet and mugs like me will pay at least 1/2 what you originally paid . Then sell the car as a Prodrive MY02.

Cheers

Neal
Old 02 May 2004, 05:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Rich - It depends on the buyer (stupid thing to say I know!). For example, if I was purchasing a car, I'd not mind if it was modified, providing the mods were to my liking and carried out in a professional manner. So to me a modded car is ok, and as some have said, it can save some money in the long run

However, outside of "the community" I'd say that some people would be put off by a modified car, mainly as they'd not trully understand what the mods are or why they have been done, plus our dear old friend insurance would no doubt crop up as well.

I was told when I sold the hearse to put it back to standard, as I'd get more for it, or at least more interest. I didn't return it to standard (cost of doing so, and time were the main factors, I was due to leave for Canada within a month), but when I took it to GDA I did throw all the standard parts I had at Graham as he said he'd probably remove the mods to make it more enticing to a buyer. Whether he did this, I am not sure, but it makes sense.
Old 02 May 2004, 05:25 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I had no hesitation paying more for my my/00 turbo with all Prodrive upgrades. Wheels/tyres, brakes, engine, exhaust, quickshift, Plus a plethera of other sensible non Prodrive mods. Tracker, Fenda guard, gear lock, leather. Oh and it only had 8k miles on it !!!
dave
Old 03 May 2004, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would assess the car's condition as well as possible, and go for the modified one if I was happy with it.

Les
Old 03 May 2004, 12:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mods = lower resale value ............. its been the law of science since the car was invented

Mods = BoyRacer ........ who wants a car that has been thrashed?

Mods = Why didn't the owner buy a fast enough car to start with?

Mods = Someone who is NEVER happy - therefore ALWAYS tinkering!

Nice wheels (NOT GOLD) would be acceptable and an aftermarket backbox (if sensible)

Its just how it is

Pete
Old 03 May 2004, 12:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i have been offerd 10k for my current car which was declined as its not finnished
i bought it for 8.5k 1 year ago and have defo not spent 1.5k on it, so its more then possible. just depends on the car and its condition
All down to that rollcage!!!

On a serious note though, offered and having are 2 different things. When it comes to the crunch of parting with the cash they suddenly remember that they have to pay for grans wart cream that she gets in bulk.

As for buying a car with mods it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as the car was good and not "riced up".
Old 03 May 2004, 12:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Nice wheels (NOT GOLD) would be acceptable and an aftermarket backbox (if sensible)
Pete
This from a man who wants a set of "spinny even when I've stopped moving wheels".

His arguments carry less weight than a friend of Bob Geldofs.
Old 03 May 2004, 12:40 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

To be totally honest with you, if I were a perspective buyer I would be put off by the extensive list of mods you have listed and move on to another. Don't take offence I'm sure your car is a minter but it's just the amount of non-standard engine parts you have that would make the average punter worried.
IMHO most people would be put off with anything other than a full-decat, air filter and a remap where engine mods are concerned.
You will never get your money back on styling mods as you have personalised the car to how you want it too look. Even where wheels are concerned it is a very personal choice and some people will want the car with the 16" standard alloys on so that they can then put their own 17s on later.
I think you have 2 options, sell it here as is for a few grand more than its standard value, or strip it back to standard and stick it in Autotrader.
Good luck
Old 03 May 2004, 12:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
This from a man who wants a set of "spinny even when I've stopped moving wheels".

His arguments carry less weight than a friend of Bob Geldofs.
Yes, but spinners are CLASS!!

Gold Wheels are just for the Village People!!

Pete
Old 03 May 2004, 12:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yes, but spinners are CLASS!!

Gold Wheels are just for the Village People!!

Pete
I rest my case!