Question - Dealer vs Import Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 10:16 AM
ssahmel
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question - Dealer vs Import Purchase

Hello,
I'm new to the forums and am currently considering buying my first Subaru later this year so I'm doing some research and came across this scoobynet.
For insurance and budget reasons I'm looking into 1998 -2000 Subaru Impreza Turbos 2.0 but I'm uncertain whether to stick to the dealer network or buy through an importer. The dealer of course says don't buy import because of the octane difference between the Japanese and UK cars. Does anyone have an educated opinion on this? I'd be very grateful to learn more and get some good tips on what to look for and on some good sources of Subarus.
Thanks in advance!
Stefanie
Old 29 April 2004, 11:49 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Hi, seeing as no-one else has answered, I'll try. I bought a model year 2000 E.U. car in U.K. spec. ( private sale ) last year because I felt that they were the best compromise between value for money and ease of ownership. At the time of purchase, I paid between 1k and 1.5k less than the going rate for an " official " U.K. car. That gap in prices seems to have closed now, although the franchised dealer locally is still charging around 3k more than I paid last Feb., for what is virtually the same car. The only real issue was the question of warranty, but with cars of the age you are considering, i.e, over 3 years old, this won't now be a concern. Expect to pay between 9 and 10k for a V,W or X reg, reasonably standard 40,000 to 50,000 mile car with history. Happy hunting!! P.S., the dealer will be quite happy to service any E.U. import, it's the Jap spec cars they are fussy about.
Old 29 April 2004, 12:11 PM
yoza
BANNED

Hmm....

The sharks are asleep.

They may swim over soon and answer your question, and ask for your hand in marriage.

I bought a Belgian import 01WRX, got it cheaper than any UK dealer could match, but now when you look at what people are selling 01s for there is a big differance between the prices of UK models and EU Imports.
I also had problems with warrenty issues, but I put the down to my local dealers service guy being a pr1ck.

If I was you I would buy yourself a nice Fiesta.

Later Yoza