Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering trading in my Terzo for an STi 3...

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2004, 11:33 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering trading in my Terzo for an STi 3...

Opinions on this please.... recently im thinking the Terzo (effectively a 98 UK turbo) hasn't quite got the power kick im looking for.... it's well modified & is supposed to be putting out around 280BHP.

I have seen a very nice looking STi 3 type R that at the moment i simply want

Im a little concerned by recent STi engine failures though, can anyone put my mind at rest before i go and do something i might regret this weekend.

The STi by the way has only 35k on the clock, has all the necessary mods done too

Thanks

Chris
Old 28 April 2004, 12:32 AM
WhiteSTi3
Scooby Regular

Hi m8, Had an STI-3 for 4 Years, great car, always on Optimax, But had 2 engine failures & 1 Turbo Failure, never really driven that hard, I have played safe this time & bought a MY01 WRX UK & it is modded to 300BHP. It is nice to get into the car & not worry, like I did with the STi3. Dont mean to bee depressing, just telling it as it is!
Old 28 April 2004, 12:47 AM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

No Cell No dont do it, no only kidding m8 it's your choice, they have got a lot more pulling power, but i had one go on me, plus peccy's as well. but saying that if it's looked after you should'nt have much prob's.
chrissy
Old 28 April 2004, 08:21 AM
WhiteSTi3
Scooby Regular

No disrespect scoobychrissy, but mine was Sooooo looked after. The oil was changed every 5000 miles!, run for a min before driving & left for 1-2 mins before switching off & still had 2 engine failures!
Old 28 April 2004, 08:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Chris gearing is your enemy here my friend. My MY99 had about the same power as your car and I've been in John Banks MY00 when it had 240bhp, 320ish bhp and 400ish bhp. On those occassions John's car was running the standard ratio's and everytime I was left a little dissappointed. Not at the speed you understand - the thing was brutally fast when you watched the speedo but despite the speed (and even when at 400bhp) it wasn't manic enough. The UK gearing/diff is just to civilized. It now has a 6-speeder that is snappy and close so I'm guessing its a different story now

About a week after I was in John's car at 400bhp I went in sg72's 400bhp Type-R which can only just match John's car for acceleration. Despite this, the frantic gear changing and neck snapping nature of the acceleration left me moist

If/when I get a scooby again it'll have shorter ratio's (Type-R/RA) as I feel this contributes massively to the 'experience'
Old 28 April 2004, 09:55 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps

Think that just about makes my mind up.... Was looking into the STi ive seen in more detail last night.... 8 owners and only 35k miles ?

New ECU and remap next i think
Old 28 April 2004, 12:21 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

STi 3, One Engine when I had it, sold it, another Engine & Turbo with the new owner, also blew head gasket when I had it, Electrics were CRAP etc etc Always run on Optimax + Booster & sub 20 mpg average, Cost a Fing fortune but having said that it was 2 years of Fun
I think you made the right decision

As an aside I now have an Octavia 4x4, currently 228 bhp after a remap but potential 350 bhp on std internals (some are running 400 Ok). Over 30 mpg on a run & absolutely nothing breaks

Ok hasnt got the scoob presence but I can thrash the **** off it without fear of what its doing to the bank balance
Old 28 April 2004, 12:34 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

I've had my STi3 for 5 years, done 40k miles and it's never missed a beat. Biggest expense to date was a new battery. Touch of piston slap - but most of them do. When I bought it, I test drove it and a PPP'd UK MY98 - no comparison at all, STi3 was a better car all round (Prodrive bilsteins so not the rock hard STi suspension). No intetntion to sell for the next few years either.
Old 28 April 2004, 05:43 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Cel you crafty bugger, you kept that quiet.
Got to admit though mate I will never go back to a UK spec car, my type R is so much quicker and I actually think thats its nicer to drive.
Having said that it has had an engine rebuild before I bought it by TSL costing over £3500 plus the turbo went, that was another £1000 of my money, but I was told that was due to the turbo not being left to cool down by the previous owner, and OK the fuel consumption is cr@p, but to be honest if you were bothered about mpg, then go and buy a Golf TDi.
Even with the problems that I've had with mine I will still have another, they are just such a good car.
Tell ya what mate, next time I see ya you can take mine for a blast, trust me you wont want to give the keys back (unless it breaks down again)