Sponsored by:

Eu imports. Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2004, 08:22 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eu imports. Pros and Cons?

Looked at at EU imported MY00 Turbo, 39000 miles, aircon, DBM, Standard going to £10k.
Need to check my insurance today cuz im 23 and they might not like it.
What are the pros and Cons onf a EU import.
Is it going to the right price?

Ray
Old 22 April 2004, 10:36 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Assuming the car is from a current EU member state......

By now most of the cons have gone. The car probably had a one year warranty but the UK three years has expired now anyway. This would have lead to probable faster depreciation during years 2 and 3 but now there should be little/no difference.

The only difference between EU and UK spec AFAIK (and believe me I went into this in fine detail when I bought my MY00 import). No locking wheel nuts. No alarm. Aledged non heated drivers side mirror - but I don't know for sure the UK one is.

Pros are: It is almost certain that the car will have a cat one alarm - or how did the previous owner get it insured? Provided it is a good one this is good because it means that the alarm on the car you will get is not the usual UK one so it could make the car more difficult to steal without a recon first.

Oh yes and it might not say "Impreza 2000 Turbo" on the back but the previous owner may have bought the sticker themselves.

Otherwise check the things you would on any car. BTW it should have had its cam belt changed by now, despite the low mileage, Check this because its quite expensive to have it done.

Cheers
Old 22 April 2004, 12:02 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Cam belt not changed. Told me its only changed at 60000 miles.
Cars been serviced by non-sunabru garage as he felt they are ripping him off.

I do remember reading on SN the belt should have been changed even with the low mileage.

The paper work says its a Subaru Impreza GL. What do I tell the insurance company? Tell them its a Turbo or a GL (it is a turbo)
Old 22 April 2004, 01:04 PM
SWPT
Scooby Regular

Subaru moved the cam belt change to 60,000 miles / 48 months for the MY00 (don't know why - probably to make servicing look a bit cheaper!) so wouldn't worry if it hasn't been done yet. This does, however, mean that it's due very soon, so make sure you budget for it.

Also wouldn't worry if it hasn't been serviced by Subaru as long as it's been looked after by someone who knows what they're doing (would check this out if I were you).

The only difference between my MY99 EU import and a UK model is that it cost me less and has a better alarm system

You'll definitely need to tell the insurance company it's a turbo - doubt you'd have a leg to stand on if you ever tried to make a claim after telling them it's a GL. My car was down on the V5 as an Impreza LX when I bought it, so I made sure this was corrected when it was transferred into my name.

Simon
Old 22 April 2004, 03:15 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

My car's V5 came in saying it was a Forester!

I do suggest you get any errors corrected on the V5

Cheers!
Old 22 April 2004, 06:39 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

As above Cambelts are 60000 miles or 4 years. Just had mine done on my 'W' reg 34k Miles MY00.

EU imports are exactly the same as UK cars - its just the boat dropped 'em off in a different place. Subaru UK fitted locking nuts and alarm after they arrived in the UK. Most EU owners will have had this done in any case.

Log book should be exactly the same as for a UK Car - i.e. New at First Registration and should definitely be worded something like "Subaru Impreza Turbo 4x4" - NOT GL etc.

Insurance is exactly the same as UK dealer supplied car. I pay £520 fully comp.

Mine might still be for sale if I can get a deal on a STi8 - trouble is it hasn't got the aircon you require.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 22 April 2004, 07:00 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

thanks ian. would be nice is iy has air con
Old 22 April 2004, 07:41 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Just to add that my belgian MY00 only had 'impreza' for model on logbook.Also worth noting that some insurance companies, in my recent experience, won't quote, or will give a higher quote to a none U.K, euro spec car, even though there is no discernable difference.
Old 22 April 2004, 07:55 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
Just to add that my belgian MY00 only had 'impreza' for model on logbook.Also worth noting that some insurance companies, in my recent experience, won't quote, or will give a higher quote to a none U.K, euro spec car, even though there is no discernable difference.
They're all non UK - they are Japanese If you buy an EU car make sure it is "Full UK Spec." A lower model was sold in the EU without airbags / ABS.

Never had any problem with insurance.

Ian.
Old 23 April 2004, 12:24 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I have decided not to buy the car. Not because its an import.

I phoned subaru today and asked them when will the car be due for a cam belt change. he told me its due since its 4 years old (or 60000 miles. which ever comes first) and the cost will be around £600. I know i might get it cheaper else where but I will also need a tracker bringing the total cost plus insurance at £12300 wihich will way over my total budget.

Thanks for the all the help guys.

Ray
Old 23 April 2004, 08:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray,
To see when the cambelt should be changed, pop the bonnet, stand on the drivers side and look at the chassis number on the rear bulkhead.
In the first 7 letters/numbers you will have either an X or a Y, the Y denotes 60k mile (4 year) belt changes, the X denontes 45k mile (3 year) changes.
Also as long as the car has full history (documented is better but not essential) then you shouldnt have any problems

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 23 April 2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:57 AM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

600 quit for a cam belt change! Crumbs!

I just had mine done (MY00 38k) at a garage not so far from Birmingham. Not a subaru garage but a garage that has been servicing and maintaining mine and my parents cars for 30 years.

Cost me:
just over 100 for the belt (thats one expensive rubber band)
about 70 quid labour
Vat brought it to 205

I may be thinking of selling soon but no aircon.

Cheers
Old 23 April 2004, 09:49 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Thanks for putting me right there Ian E. Japanese eh, who'ed have thought.
Old 23 April 2004, 10:32 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

May have missed something here but 10K is way over what i'd pay for that year of car anyway... even for a full UK model. Look in the 'for sale' section and see what mean.

Tony.
Old 23 April 2004, 01:18 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ray,
To see when the cambelt should be changed, pop the bonnet, stand on the drivers side and look at the chassis number on the rear bulkhead.
In the first 7 letters/numbers you will have either an X or a Y, the Y denotes 60k mile (4 year) belt changes, the X denontes 45k mile (3 year) changes.
Also as long as the car has full history (documented is better but not essential) then you shouldnt have any problems

Tony
Thanks mate. That really good to know.
Old 23 April 2004, 01:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I paid 10K for my FSSH 40K MY00 in Oct 03. It was originally from Dublin and is in Sonic Blue which you couldn't get in this country save for P1 and Terzo models.

Insurance wise if they quote higher or refuse to give same quote like for like UK car they are breaking EU law.
Old 23 April 2004, 02:09 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

FYI, my insurance from May 03 to May 04 was £500 with Churchill. That included no claims protection. age 39, no convitcitons or claims, low crime area (2/9) and no nodding dog.

That was before I go the tracker fitted - just cat 1 alarm.
Old 23 April 2004, 06:14 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by EddScott
I paid 10K for my FSSH 40K MY00 in Oct 03. It was originally from Dublin and is in Sonic Blue which you couldn't get in this country save for P1 and Terzo models.

Insurance wise if they quote higher or refuse to give same quote like for like UK car they are breaking EU law.
Tell me more.
Sounds interesting. Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?
Old 23 April 2004, 06:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to have an MY00 PPP'd sonic blue scoob
She was a Dutch car mind but had no problems with insurance or the likes (except NU )

Tony
Old 23 April 2004, 07:01 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

MY00, mica red, full u.k.dealer history, 40,000 miles,£9300 in Feb. 03. Car is belgian, and seemed cheap back then.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:28 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

MY00, mica red, full u.k.dealer history, 40,000 miles,£9300 in Feb. 03. Car is belgian, and seemed cheap back then.
the one i looked at seems a bit over priced now
Old 24 April 2004, 12:39 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Within reason, the price isn't so much the issue. The difficulty is striking a balance between not paying too much, but still going home with a car worth having. I didn't pay much for mine, but, the unfortunate aspect turned out to be that, within six weeks of purchase, it was in the dealers having the gearbox rebuilt, after 4th and 5th became noisy. The saving you would generally expect to make by buying an E.U.car is useful, but that saving may well be eliminated the first time it goes wrong. U.K dealers aren't sympathetic to the idea of warranty claims on none U.K. cars, although they are happy to see you when it's due a service. Hope you get yourself sorted one way or another!
Old 24 April 2004, 12:51 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Apart from Autotrader where else can I Look?
Old 24 April 2004, 07:32 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Cars for sale section on Scoobynet?
Old 24 April 2004, 09:43 AM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Apart from Autotrader where else can I Look?
Ray,

AutoTrader is your best bet. Loads on there. Plenty of bargains on ScoobyNet as well. You could also try www.findit.co.uk, ebay, pistonheads etc.

As I've said before, the fact you require Aircon is going to restrict your choice - it was an expensive option on the classics and not that many people went for it. It might be worth buying the right non air con car and having it fitted later (it was always an aftermarket dealer fit on the UK classics in any case).

Still half thinking of selling my MY00 for an STi8. Advertised on here at £10250

Good luck with finding the right car.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 24 April 2004, 09:53 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Part of the reason I got mine at such a low price was because it had no aircon. Used this to negotiate with seller, price came down by £1200 , I then had aircon fitted by my local dealer, £1000 all in ,iirc.
Old 24 April 2004, 05:04 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Is it worth geting the dealer to fit the air con on a 4 year old scooby or get it done somewhere else for half the price.
Old 24 April 2004, 05:14 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've had no problems with mine. cAn't see what the fuss is about really!

Last edited by Big C; 18 April 2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling, punctuation. Must have been on something when I typed it. :(
Old 24 April 2004, 05:57 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

You could probably get the aircon for a sensible price from someone on here, secondhand. The reason I didn't was that , at that time, ( this is Feb. 03 remember) even £10,300 for that car, but with aircon, would, I felt , not have been unreasonable. Don't be scared to do what I did though, if you view a car that doesn't have aircon, but is otherwise worth having, ring the seller afterwards and bid him in the b*ll*cks, telling him your reasons for doing so.If you're polite about it , it may work,( did for me) and if it doesn't, all he can do is get upset , tell you to f..k off, and hang up. Given that you're on the end of a phone line and he can't thump you for your cheek, this can even be quite amusing. Happy bidding.
Old 24 April 2004, 06:09 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

You could probably get the aircon for a sensible price from someone on here, secondhand. The reason I didn't was that , at that time, ( this is Feb. 03 remember) even £10,300 for that car, but with aircon, would, I felt , not have been unreasonable. Don't be scared to do what I did though, if you view a car that doesn't have aircon, but is otherwise worth having, ring the seller afterwards and bid him in the b*ll*cks, telling him your reasons for doing so.If you're polite about it , it may work,( did for me) and if it doesn't, all he can do is get upset , tell you to f..k off, and hang up. Given that you're on the end of a phone line and he can't thump you for your cheek, this can even be quite amusing. Happy bidding.
I think I might just do that. Goona phone up some places monday to see how much air con it to get fitted by a none subaru garage.
I remebr seeing loads of scoobs witout aircon.