Bits falling off...

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2000, 10:20 PM
Nikolai
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Howdy

I've been an Impreza owner for about 6 mths and am impressed (but then I've lusted after one for years) I've also been lurking around the scoobynet site for a while and never had anything interesting to say, but...

The last couple of days I've had a nasty rattle whenever starting or stopping the engine, so I popped the bonnet (close to the first time I've done this...) and found that the siren for the alarm had sheared off its bracket and was hanging by its wires into the engine bay.

Is this supposed to happen??

OK, so I drive over some fairly rough roads, but I guess this will be covered by the warranty - anyone else come across this and what did the dealer say?

Nikolai
Old 27 June 2000, 08:50 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Yes, I had exactly the same problem recently.
MY99 at 3.8K miles, the alarm bracket sheared off. I've changed the position of the alarm now and mounted it on a bracket next to the brake servo? (I think) and now it is pointing towards the grill- so now its a little louder. The wiring loom had enough slack and so did not need modifying.

I swapped the bracket at my dealer but they didn't seem to have seen the problem before. I don't think it's the way you drive or the roads but simply a manufacturing fault.

F
Old 27 June 2000, 08:56 AM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nikolai:
<B>Howdy

Is this supposed to happen??

Nikolai[/quote]

Hmmm, I wonder Doh.

Now you see if you got your car in Europe, you could have bought a top quality alarm system when you brought it back to the UK, one with special high performance mountings
Old 27 June 2000, 06:21 PM
Nikolai
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks Floyd

Armed with the knowledge I was not alone I called the dealership and they admitted they have had another four with exactly the same problem (so why don't they use a different bracket?)

Covered by the warranty so no cost, just the pain of being without the motor for a day...
Old 27 June 2000, 07:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Meetoo,

looks like a common problem.

mb