Sponsored by:

STI V5 insurance value

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 12:36 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI V5 insurance value

Had my scooby stolen last night - the b*****ds broke into my house and stole the keys while we were all asleep. The police said there have been a spate of similar burglaries in the area (South Bucks) recently, and since the burglars obviously knew what they were looking for, they don't hold out much hope of recovering it.

Does anyone on here know how the insurance company will go about valuing it since it is an import and therefore not listed in Glass's or Parker's? If they just consider it a MY99, then it looks like I'll be lucky to get 10K. Since I paid about 25% more for the STI when I imported it, it feels like the value should be a bit higher.
Old 21 April 2004, 12:50 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by scud8
The police said there have been a spate of similar burglaries in the area (South Bucks) recently, and since the burglars obviously knew what they were looking for, they don't hold out much hope of recovering it.
Wycombe area? Ian Sadler had his Terzo taken from Prestwood in this way and so did Chins (brand new WRX I think) last year. As far as I know neither turned up again

Sorry to hear about that anyway
Old 21 April 2004, 06:43 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

If the the Insurance company are worth their salt, you should be fine. After all they except the vehicle is an import and insure it on that basis, so they will have access to experienced engineers/accessors who will put a 'market' value on the vehicle.
Do some research and get a price in mind what your be looking for. Don't be prepared to except the first offer as this is more often than not negotiable.

simb
Old 22 April 2004, 08:10 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Wycombe area? Ian Sadler had his Terzo taken from Prestwood in this way and so did Chins (brand new WRX I think) last year. As far as I know neither turned up again

Sorry to hear about that anyway
Yep - Wycombe area!
Old 22 April 2004, 09:40 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep - Wycombe area!
Thought so. It's getting a bit common around there. Can you do me a favour and PM me roughly where you live so I can warn my friends around Wycombe to keep their eyes open.

Thanks
Old 22 April 2004, 11:00 AM
Jonny5turbo
Scooby Newbie

bloody hell, never thought it was that bad in Wycombe. Live on the outskirts and will now take considerable care to ensure the car is secure.

Complete w******, can't they leave other peoples property alone.

Jon
Old 22 April 2004, 07:58 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Does anyone on here know how the insurance company will go about valuing it since it is an import and therefore not listed in Glass's or Parker's.
There is a Grey Imports price guide produced by CAP, so the insurers will use that if they don't already have it on the file with a nominal value.

I reckon you'll be OK - just a delay 'til the payment comes through.

Good luck with the payment and tough luck on the loss.

David
Old 22 April 2004, 08:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

we had loads of problems with 'hook and cane' burglaries round here- thieving scum fish the keys through the letterbox with a cane and a hook or magnet. I had two cars nicked the same night in this way, and its getting to be about the most poular way to get the keys and get the car away without people realising.

and before you ask, mine were 23ft away from the front door on the stairs. We found a load of canes tied together down the side of the house the next day (but no cars)

I got an anti hook and cane flap for my letterbox- now they can't even see through it, let alone get a cane through!
Old 22 April 2004, 09:10 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

i too have an import scoob in the south bucks area chesham, must keep it hidden!

the max my insurance covers me for is the price i paid for the car as there is no UK price. Which sort of sounds ok.
Old 22 April 2004, 09:16 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that fella, these crooks are (I want to swear here)......

I can suggest (from personal experience) that you dont accept the first offer... These things tend to be negotiable..

Keep your chin up fella

Gareth
from http://www.subaru-impreza.org
Old 22 April 2004, 11:33 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Angry

Theivin Baskets, Sorry for the loss mate,, As many of us will agree, our scoobs become very personal to us and even though car theft does happen, Losing one's pride and joy to it sucks.

Hope you have luck with the payout and get back behind the driving wheel soon .
Old 23 April 2004, 09:52 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaru-impreza.org
Sorry to hear about that fella, these crooks are (I want to swear here)......

I can suggest (from personal experience) that you dont accept the first offer... These things tend to be negotiable..

Keep your chin up fella

Gareth
from http://www.subaru-impreza.org
Totally agree! When my Fiancee's golf gti got written off last December the first offer they gave was a joke After a bit of a discussion I got what it was worth.

Paul
Old 30 April 2004, 08:15 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Unhappy Update

An update on my stolen scooby.

The car was abandoned in Derbyshire, just off the M1, probably on the night it was stolen. Police found it on Sunday night. After much chasing of the insurance company, I finally got it recovered to a local body shop, went to give them the remaining set of keys and found the engine blown and a lot of interior trim missing. Looks like they were on the way up north, thrashing the nuts off it and blew the engine, hopefully ruining their night. Daft t**ts probably put NUL in it.

The body shop reckon it will be written off - they won't repair if the estimate is more than 60% of the write-off value, and between the engine, the interior trim and the stereo it will be a close thing.

Phoned round a few garages and it looks like I'm too late to get my hands on a WR-1.