Another Confused Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 12:24 PM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Another Confused Newbie

Hi there you lot,

I've currently got a Mitsi FTO, and will be changing it for a Scoob in the next couple of months. Been looking round at various sites to do a bit of research, but a bit confused about the range of different models out there, along with changes to particular years etc.

I'm looking for a 'wagon, but think the best thing is to go somewhere I can see a range of different ones, WRX, MY (sp?), etc.

Is there anywhere in the Newbury, Berksish area you can recommend to help before I take the plunge. Will probably be looking for a dealer who'll take px, although did see a green (the mean green machine???) wagon advertised somewhere on this site.

Apologies for rambling, first post & all that, plus today's been a helluva week!!

Cheers in advance

Darren
Old 21 April 2004, 12:54 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Depends what you want out of one really.

Import or UK??

Do you want ***** out performance, or not too bothered but with cheaper insurance??

Are you looking to heavily mod it up, or just put an exhaust and some wheels on??

There are better people on here than me to explain all the different models, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Andy.

Last edited by Walwal; 21 April 2004 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 21 April 2004, 12:55 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Have you tried the SIDC - here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

BB
Old 21 April 2004, 01:00 PM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Walwal
Depends what you want out of one really.

Import or UK??

Do you want ***** out performance, or not too bothered but with cheaper insurance??

Are you looking to heavily mod it up, or just put an exhaust and some wheels on??

There are better people on here than me to explain all the different models, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Andy.
Andy,

Thanks for the response, not fussed uk or import, and looking more on the exhaust/wheels combo and possibly a few other bits and pieces, rather than ***** out, 'cos it's gonna be used daily and has to carry baby too.

The FTO is just not practical any more and always hankered after the scoob!

Cheers

Darren
Old 21 April 2004, 01:01 PM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Baby Blue
Have you tried the SIDC - here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

BB
Cheers BB,

yup, been on that site - I guess at the end of the day, I'd like to see something in front of me so's I can compare.

Darren
Old 21 April 2004, 01:23 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Darren, trawl through the members gallery for pics.

if what you require isnt there, put a request thread up
ie "has anyone got a pic of....." etc.

as for your first post, dont worry, it didnt ramble, and the grammar and spelling were a lot better than we unfortunately see around here.
Peanuts

p.s. MY= model year. MY99 is a model year 1999 car, MY98 etc etc
Old 21 April 2004, 01:51 PM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Peanuts,

Thanks for the advice on MY - I guess I'm going to have to learn a whole new set of phonetics (sp?) or whatever they're called!! Will have a look see in the photo files.

Then I guess it's going to be a case of going to an importer and px'ing the FTO or a dealer of one sort or another and doing the same.

Cheers

Darren
Old 21 April 2004, 05:38 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

You didn't say if you were buying new or 2/h. If new, then the choice is between having an import, saving money, but having no Warranty; and buying a UK model through a dealer. If you buy the UK model, then PPP @ (IIRR) ca £1600 makes it a very fast and capable vehicle with the practicality you want.

If 2/h: "Classic" Scoobs ran from the early '90s to 2000 ("X", a few "Y"s). Opinions will vary, but MY 99 was probably pick of the crop with pretty well all problems sorted, and as powerful an engine as they ever fitted. 2001 saw the designation "WRX" (previously the domain of Japanese imports) applied to Mainstream UK Models, with a short-lived "Bug-eye" introduced. People hated the looks, it bombed in the market, and it was replaced (and improved on) by the newer "blobeye" in 2002. If you can run to it, an early 'blob-eye' is OK (and can be PPP'd), but there's nothing wrong with a bugeye!

Hope that helps

Phil
Old 21 April 2004, 06:02 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Have a look in the Southern section and get yourself along to a meet - theres usually a few wagons around. If you can wait till May 15th there will be 30 Scoobs at Power Engineering for a RR day at Uxbridge.

Welcome to the BBS

Last edited by Jay m A; 21 April 2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: dyslexic keyboard
Old 21 April 2004, 06:41 PM
T_J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Have a look in the Southern section and get yourself along to a meet - theres usually a few wagons around. If you can wait till May 15th there will be 30 Scoobs at Power Engineering for a RR day at Uxbridge.

Welcome to the BBS
There were a few wagons of different types at Reading last night too...
inc a nice STi 3 555 V-limited which is for sale IIRC
Old 21 April 2004, 08:23 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

If you want to see almost any scooby/modification you can imagine, then you could do worse than take a trip up to the northern big one on sunday 13th june.
Its up in yorkshire, so i know its a hell of a long way, but their will be over 300 scoobies going. Its held at a theme park, so there is something for the other half as well. You could possibly make a weekend of it. You would get to talk to loads of wagon owners (myself included), and see what can be done to a scoob
I am sure you would be made more than welcome.
You should be able to find out a bit more if you check out the meets/northern section below.

Good hunting

Greg
Old 21 April 2004, 08:28 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

You may also find this gallery usefull..... Still a tad bare but worth a look...

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/gallery.shtml

They are catergorised by year.
Old 21 April 2004, 08:36 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Just had another thought
Why not come to the japfest meet at castle combe on the 22nd may.
Their will be loads of scoobies there, and even a few fto's

And its alot closer than yorkshire for you.
Old 22 April 2004, 08:24 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Phil,

Will defo be looking 2ndhand as I'm not a fan of the new shape, and with baby due in september, need a little bit of reign in on the finances! :O) Not sure what you mean though when you say " If you buy the UK model, then PPP @ (IIRR) ca £1600 " - explain please!! ;o)

I think an MY99 will be the way to go - am I right in thinking that by this year, the WRX designation was replaced by STI??

Cheers

Darren
Old 22 April 2004, 08:25 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by Jay m A

Welcome to the BBS
Cheers Jay,

May well make that a date and pop along - it's not far from here. Thanks for the welcome!

Darren
Old 22 April 2004, 08:27 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by T_J
There were a few wagons of different types at Reading last night too...
inc a nice STi 3 555 V-limited which is for sale IIRC
TJ,

Where's the Reading meet? And how often?? Finally, whose selling the STI car and is it on the list??

Cheers

Darren
Old 22 April 2004, 08:30 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by greg.g
Just had another thought
Why not come to the japfest meet at castle combe on the 22nd may.
Their will be loads of scoobies there, and even a few fto's

And its alot closer than yorkshire for you.
Greg,

That sounds like a much better idea!! Although a trip to Yorkshire is tempting - and a theme park too!!! Hhmmmmm, may have to work on that one! Coombe's not far from here so may go for that rather than the rolling road day, if not both!

Darren
Old 22 April 2004, 08:37 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by subaru-impreza.org
You may also find this gallery usefull..... Still a tad bare but worth a look...

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/gallery.shtml

They are catergorised by year.
Cheers for that and nice site btw!!

While I've got all of your attention and I'm feeling a bit lazy as I'm sure that the info is around somewhere - what's the servicing periods and idea of costs on this front for a STI Wagon???

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Darren
Old 22 April 2004, 10:07 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Hi Darren, welcome to SNet.

You don't happen to have a nice set of alloys on your FTO that you would be willing to swap for standard 15"'s if you are part exing your FTO?

If you do, send me an email to my profile address and we can discuss?

C
Old 22 April 2004, 10:23 AM
T_J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenCooksey
TJ,

Where's the Reading meet? And how often?? Finally, whose selling the STI car and is it on the list??

Cheers

Darren
Reading is/was third Tuesday in the month at Madjeski retail, but may well be moving...keep eyes on Southern Meets for details...

the STi wagon is here

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/messageview...threadid=13684

hope that helps matey
Old 22 April 2004, 10:46 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Hi Darren, from a fellow ex FTO Scooby convert.

I'll make it easier for you with some analogies:

Classic Scoob = pre-facelift FTO

MY01+ Scoob (bugeye, followed by MY03+ blobeye) = 1997+ facelift FTO

and then,

Impreza Sport = GS

UK Impreza Turbo / WRX = GR

JDM Import / anything STi = GPX

Anything R / RA = Type R

Some other initial thoughts.... (might be right, might be wrong, but my thoughts nonetheless!):

Big improvement in interiors on bugeye, and again on blobeye, over classic - though corresponding improvements all round to general safety, comfort, look/feel meant corresponding increase in weight each time.... Hence many prefer the light/agile feel of the classic, over the bug/blob.

Performance wise - as standard - later models perform better than earlier models. As with all cars, manufacturers aim to improve not degrade general performance. Some may argue that acceleration on later models is not what the classic offers, but generally (handling/acceleration/feedback, etc.) performance is better on later models. Obviously modded, they can all be made to outperform each-other.

If you want to start modding, fairly seriously, then look for STi engines (normally have red inlet manifolds - obvious when you open the bonnet), which are typically more robust than the standard equivalents.

If you want STi spec, go for an STi - modding a WRX / Turbo to a similar STi spec will always be a more expensive option.

Unlike the FTO, a JDM Scooby will NOT run (for very long) on standard UK UL, or even SUL, without serious longevity problems. If you buy a JDM Scoob, ensure it is either remapped for UK fuel or you ALWAYS use SUL + octane booster to get it to something close to the JDM 100 octane fuel they are designed to use.

Remember - unlike the FTO - UK Subaru dealers will also not want to go anywhere near your JDM Scoob. If you're happy with running an import, with the issues that brings (like the 'old days' of FTO ownership) then the JDM import nearly always offers better value/performance for your purchasing buck (not sure about the insurance buck though!).

Hope the above synopsis helps a bit.....

Shades
Old 22 April 2004, 12:08 PM
T_J
Scooby Regular

on the servicing front...Brookwoods in Newbury will be fine with an import and they seem pretty good on price too
Old 23 April 2004, 09:55 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Big C
Hi Darren, welcome to SNet.

You don't happen to have a nice set of alloys on your FTO that you would be willing to swap for standard 15"'s if you are part exing your FTO?

If you do, send me an email to my profile address and we can discuss?

C
Cheers C,

Unfortunately I've only got the standard 16" alloys, and they are in sh*te order. Was just going to give them a quick rub down and spray 'cos they really do detract from the rest of the car at moment.

you could try the smartgroups fto lists to see if anyone else has got any for sale?? Are you looking for standard or aftermarket??

Cheers

Darren
Old 23 April 2004, 09:58 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by T_J
Reading is/was third Tuesday in the month at Madjeski retail, but may well be moving...keep eyes on Southern Meets for details...

the STi wagon is here

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/messageview...threadid=13684

hope that helps matey
Cheers TJ,

Will keep an eye out for the next one then.

The car is more or less exactly what I'm looking for. Typical finding a car when I've not sold mine - wonder if he'd be interested in an FTO and some cash??????
Old 23 April 2004, 10:05 AM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MrShades
Hi Darren, from a fellow ex FTO Scooby convert.

I'll make it easier for you with some analogies:

Classic Scoob = pre-facelift FTO

MY01+ Scoob (bugeye, followed by MY03+ blobeye) = 1997+ facelift FTO

and then,

Impreza Sport = GS

UK Impreza Turbo / WRX = GR

JDM Import / anything STi = GPX

Anything R / RA = Type R

Some other initial thoughts.... (might be right, might be wrong, but my thoughts nonetheless!):

Hope the above synopsis helps a bit.....

Shades
Shades, wow! Thanks for all the info.

I've not considered the bug/blob eye cars, as I still haven't really got used to the look of 'em yet, and still prefer the 'classic' shape to anything else and I guess this is the big FTO/Scoob difference - wth the FTO, the facelift was a cosmetic improvement, whereas IMHO the bug/blob was not (ducks and runs for cover!!) Still, that being said I'll take the advice on board and amybe have a look at some later cars.

Seen an STI wagon for sale in my area (Berks/Reading), which really does look the part, which is bloody typical bearing in mind I haven't sold mine yet!! Still I guess they'll be others about the place.

btw - Still new to all this - what is a JDM car?? Oh and if this STI is an import - actually it is - does that mean running SUL or booster all the time???

Cheers

Darren
Old 23 April 2004, 01:23 PM
T_J
Scooby Regular

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market e.g. import...

Scoobs are broken down in to UK and JDM

up to 01 (mark 1 or Classic)...UK had N/A and Turbo 2000 versions
JDM would be the WRX and STI's (STi's being tuned/tweaked WRXs) there are also lots of limited edn's...(Sti ver 1-6, type R's Type RA's, V-limited etc)

from 01-03 (Mark 2 or Bugeye)...you get UK WRX and STi cars. (Sti7)
From 03 onwards (Mark 3 or Blobeye).....continues this trend.. (Sti8)..

Try this....

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

for a good overview of model history
Old 23 April 2004, 01:39 PM
DarrenCooksey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by T_J
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market e.g. import...

Scoobs are broken down in to UK and JDM

up to 01 (mark 1 or Classic)...UK had N/A and Turbo 2000 versions
JDM would be the WRX and STI's (STi's being tuned/tweaked WRXs) there are also lots of limited edn's...(Sti ver 1-6, type R's Type RA's, V-limited etc)

from 01-03 (Mark 2 or Bugeye)...you get UK WRX and STi cars. (Sti7)
From 03 onwards (Mark 3 or Blobeye).....continues this trend.. (Sti8)..

Try this....

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

for a good overview of model history
Thanks again TJ - funny how these things become obvious when you're told!! . More inclined to go with a '99/00 wagon, although will look at the mk2 & 3's but think that these will be out of my price range. There's a local importer - Japcar Buyers or suchlike at Greenham Common - may take a mosey over there and see what they have for the purposes of research.

Darren
Old 23 April 2004, 05:18 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarrenCooksey
Thanks again TJ - funny how these things become obvious when you're told!! . More inclined to go with a '99/00 wagon, although will look at the mk2 & 3's but think that these will be out of my price range. There's a local importer - Japcar Buyers or suchlike at Greenham Common - may take a mosey over there and see what they have for the purposes of research.

Darren
You might be suprised by the price of the Bugeye's - they aren't too popular so seem quite cheap. I love mine though, down to personal taste.
Old 23 April 2004, 05:39 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Sorry not to come back very quickly, Darren. PPP is Prodrive Performance Pack, an (obvious) add-on which maintains your warranty (if your car is still in warranty, that is! - an MY '99 won't be!) and gives it a substantial power and driveability boost. Given the choice of an MY 99 with, and without, it won't be hard to choose

Apart fom the cosmetics, the difference between a 'classic' and a bugeye is that the power delivery was "refined" in the bugeye as Subaru tried to expand the appeal to more owners, and the "kick in the back" was muted. But the handling is better.

You're getting stacks of advice from enthusiasts..... mine would be: get yourself the most recent 2/h mainstream UK market car (with PPP if offered) you can afford: enjoy it (and learn to drive it - AWD with plenty of power is different!). As you settle into it and the Subaru Community decide what you want to do for the future on the basis of your experience and knowledge as you gain it, rather than leap for an enthusiast's car straight off.

Enjoy!

Phil
Old 23 April 2004, 07:02 PM
T_J
Scooby Regular

Not going to argue with a word of Phil's advice....I suggested the STi as I knew it was for sale and VERY tidy...but for a first scoob, a tidy UK car (with PPP if poss) is a great bet..

Oh, and the Jap importer at Greenham went ...er....out of businesss (careful what you say TJ...)...last year...

Bulldogs at Twyford have a couple of MY99 UK wagons...(dead standard)...Simpsons at Highworth (Swindon) have no classic wagons, but a couple of Bugeye saloons...

and yeah..the prices on the bugeye (Mk2) can be favourable as they don't attract as much interest (in general)

I'm heading towards my 3rd Scoob (working up all the time) all are/were/will be wagons

Quick Reply: Another Confused Newbie