Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 07:21 PM
typer522
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Lag

hi ppl
i am doing a final year project about turbo engine.
can some on explain to me what is 'turbo lag'?
why ppl say turbo engine is more fuel efficient than NA?
also has anyone done a report or essay about turbocharged engine which they can send to me?

typer52@talk21.com

many many thanks
Old 16 April 2004, 07:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

short answer for turbo lag is the time it takes from you putting your foot to the floor and you actually getting a response. Where you have to wait for the turbo to "spin up" to speed.

It varies depending on the turbo system (anti-lag etc) size of engine, size of turbo and engine speed. A large turbo at low engine rpm will take alot longer to spin up than a small one.

When you say turbo engines are more effcient than n/a it is not a correct assumption, you do not say if it is for petrol or diesel engines. Assuming a petrol engine, the turbo allows for more air to be pushed into the combustion chambers. To stop it running lean, it must have more fuel injected.

So the more air, the more fuel. Then we move on to detonation and high combustion chamber pressures and temperatures, where a turbo engine has to use a lower compression ratio and a much more retarded ignition timing. Both of these make the engine less efficient. Also a third measure of injected extra fuel making the engine run rich as an aim to help aid combustion chamber cooling and reduce detonation - once again increasing fuel consumption. A turbo petrol engine is only efficient through a very narrow load/rpm range when compared to a n/a engine

However it is different with diesel engines as they rely on high compression and combustion pressure to actually run.

hope it helps

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 April 2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 07:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

This webpage explains the basics

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Old 16 April 2004, 07:50 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by typer522
i am doing a final year project about turbo engine.
can some on explain to me what is 'turbo lag'?
Lag, is, in as simple terms as possible, the time difference between you depressing the throttle and the turbo being able to flow/compress enough air to enable the ECU to hit its boost target. There's plenty of good stuff about lag here and in the technical forums, search button's your friend.

why ppl say turbo engine is more fuel efficient than NA?
That's a bit of a falsehood. Turbos are very good for getting very high specific outputs from an engine of a given size, but to say they're more fuel efficient doesn't really wash.

also has anyone done a report or essay about turbocharged engine which they can send to me?
So you can copy it???
Old 19 April 2004, 12:15 PM
typer522
Scooby Newbie

many thanks ppl
Old 19 April 2004, 12:35 PM
Si of Sheff
Scooby Regular

What may be being overlooked here is the potential for efficiency with a turbo. Follow this one, it doesn't intuitively make sense.

I drive a car with around 230 BHP capable of 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds (MY00 with decat if anyone cares). I can also cruise at 80mph and get 35 mpg. I don't know of any NA cars that can deliver this performance AND economy by just changing driving style/ situation. It would require 2 different engines! Would this provide a basis that supports you argument?

Si
Old 20 April 2004, 12:24 AM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Go to www.howstuffworks.com