Sponsored by:

Strange goings on, 2003 STi UK

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 05:08 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Strange goings on, 2003 STi UK

I have had my Uk Sti for about 6 months and 6000 miles now. Over the last 2000 miles though the handling has been less than perfect. Been in to the dealers and had a 4 wheel alignment but still not as good as it was. The steering feels vauge and slightly unstable.

Noticed tonight, that if I put my hands on the top of the front wheel, I can rock it in and out slightly with an accompanying knocking sound !

Put my finger on the shock tube and the shock body and can feel side to side movement there.

Now the strange bit, I jacked the car up and then back down and the movement vanishes, drive the car a couple of miles and its back again !

Need a trip to the workshop, but does anyone have a similar experience, ideas, opinions (before this post gets moved to the dead end world of the suspension forum

Gary

Last edited by Gary C; 14 April 2004 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe to the thread
Old 14 April 2004, 05:19 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Funny - I have a similar feeling on my 03 WRX, and I've been told to get the dealer to check the wheel bearings .....
Old 14 April 2004, 06:01 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I had shock absorber problems on my MY02 STi. Knocking/clunking noises.When the car is jacked the wheel hangs down, this relaxes the shock absorber and the noise disappears.

After driving for a few miles the problem comes back again.

Had my shock absorber replaced under warranty.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:31 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Question

Think I have this problem, and had it for some time on my MY02 STI Type UK!!

Very faint knocking noise so never done anything about it. Got 19's Super Legs fitted last week, clunking is much more noticeable. Interesting reading the side to side movement thing. I'll try that on mine and report back!!!

Simon
Old 14 April 2004, 07:37 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

You really should stop pushing your cars to the limits on UK roads. The roads in this country are crap at best and at worse utterly dreadful. Even a rally car with £125,000 worth of chassis/dampers/springs would give up the ghost when pressed over tens of thousands of miles over this type of terrain. I have owned Subarus as well as other makes over the years and I must say Subaru have offered me the most reliable daily transport. The most severe problem I have encountered was a slight oil leak, cured under warranty, as it turned out, a cross threaded sump plug.
Old 14 April 2004, 11:04 PM
YorkshireSimon
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by bluto22b
You really should stop pushing your cars to the limits on UK roads. The roads in this country are crap at best and at worse utterly dreadful. Even a rally car with £125,000 worth of chassis/dampers/springs would give up the ghost when pressed over tens of thousands of miles over this type of terrain. I have owned Subarus as well as other makes over the years and I must say Subaru have offered me the most reliable daily transport. The most severe problem I have encountered was a slight oil leak, cured under warranty, as it turned out, a cross threaded sump plug.
This has nothing to do with the way the cars are being driven!! My STI only comes out to play at weekends! This is a fundemental problem that has been well documented on here in many threads. Only some people have it worse than others. Mine has been, for the most part acceptable, but now it is not. And I will now make use of the useful 3 year/60k miles warranty to put it right.
Old 15 April 2004, 09:11 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
Even a rally car with £125,000 worth of chassis/dampers/springs would give up the ghost when pressed over tens of thousands of miles over this type of terrain.
Is 22b a troll ?,

As I said, the car has only done 6000 miles, 6K , 6 thousand, six and three zero's!
Old 16 April 2004, 09:41 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

i think bluto is unhappy he just tried to buy a red sti and argued the point with the subaru salesman
martin
Old 20 May 2004, 09:16 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Right, car was in the garage and they found the front subframe bolts loose, handling is so much better now but the front struts are still moving.

In again today and is now booked in for two new front struts to be fitted on wednesday. Hope thats the last of this.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:12 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

A rallye car for the road hey...

so long as its not a english one...!
Old 20 May 2004, 10:55 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

If you think that you've had problems....

My Sti-UK has had clunking at the rear from new.

So far it has has a new shocker. A new DIFF and next week it is going to gat a full driveshaft assembly.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to take the brolly out of the boot!

Korky
Old 23 May 2004, 09:25 PM
my03
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Hi,

I have exactly the same "thumping" noise from the rear on my 2003 WRX STI. Sounds "muted" but i suspect that it is related to the shock absorbers in some way. Will ask the workshop to take a look at it and replace the faulty things on warranty. The car has 17000 km on the odometer.

Regards

Daniel

Originally Posted by korky
If you think that you've had problems....

My Sti-UK has had clunking at the rear from new.

So far it has has a new shocker. A new DIFF and next week it is going to gat a full driveshaft assembly.

If that doesn't work then I'll have to take the brolly out of the boot!

Korky