Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I keep my Scooby or not? What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 05:03 PM
P5TPB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I keep my Scooby or not? What do I do?

I can't beleive this, I have had 1 problem with the car in the 19 mths that I have owned my car, and that was the MAF Sensor, which was replace 2 weeks ago.

I did a lot of thinking and decided that I wanted to sell this car and possibly by a newer scooby..................(see MY96 WRX STi - Version III)

THEN......on the way to the Surrey Meet, this Sunday (11th April), my top hose burst !! The AA had a look, did the dye test, and advised me that the Headgasket has had it, I was not too happy , no obvious signs that it was about to go !!!

Park Lane Garage, Alton, picked the car up today and said that the parts that will be getting replaced/changed are:

Both Head Gaskets
All head bolts (as they are spring bolts)
Coolant
Cambelt
Re-charge the air con
Change other gaskets (Turbo, intake, etc)
Oil & Filter
etc.....

So, quite a lot then...........

- Do I still sell the car when I get it back?
- Do I keep it for a while?
- If do decide to sell it, would it be worth an extra £500-£1000, as the engine has more-or-less been re-built?

Help !! Look forward to you advices......

Tim / P5TPB

My Websites:
www.whitewrxsti.co.uk
www.camberleyboys.co.uk
Old 13 April 2004, 05:08 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Im not sure you could claim back the repair costs by upping the price of the car, as its not a very good sales pitch when you say why its dearer!!
Old 13 April 2004, 05:11 PM
P5TPB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Im not sure you could claim back the repair costs by upping the price of the car, as its not a very good sales pitch when you say why its dearer!!
Definately a good comment....That was what I was thinking, I just wanted to know if I was being sensible thinking that........

Tim / P5TPB
Old 13 April 2004, 06:14 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think the way to look at it is, if you sell it its current state, it'll probably be worth a lot less than the difference that you'd spend on sorting it out....if that makes sense You get my drift...
I'm having just the same problem with my Land Rover. Bought it recently, but it's now lost compression to 2 cylinders, so do I sell it as it is, for about a grand less than I paid for it, or do I repair, and sell it for slightly more than I paid, with new gaskets, camshaft etc?
I think the way to go is, to repair, then the engine should be in better order than it was when you bought it, so it might go for slightly more than market value - just don't expect to add on your repair costs

Of course, if you repair it, it might turn out to be better than ever, so you might not want to sell it Hopefully a problem I'll be facing on thursday, after its rebuild
Old 13 April 2004, 07:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I know the feeling. My MY00 suffered a completely unexpected big-end failure a couple of months ago and I had to have the engine completely rebuilt. I was so gutted I felt like taking out a huge loan and just blowing it on a WR1 - until I worked out that the cost of getting the engine fixed AND upgrading was ten times the cost of just getting the engine fixed. So, I kept the car.

Today it's back in the garage having an oil leak fixed. Once again, I'm far from happy - most of my Easter Monday bank holiday was spent waiting for trains and the AA, since the oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold and threatening to set the whole engine on fire. But, the repair should be under warranty this time, so what's really to gain by selling the car?

Sure, I fancy a new STI - but I'd rather drive my lighter, more flexible PPP-engined classic and not have a twenty grand loan!