Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 2.0 GL sport Auto any good?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 12:11 PM
Robbo71
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 2.0 GL sport Auto any good?

I only passed the Auto test (no sniggering at the back..oh you're all laughing) I'm a biker so I just wanted to get a basic easy license to stay dry and warm (13 years of biking all year round has taking a bad toll on me body....plus a 70mph accident caused some "problems"). So the Auto is all I can have.

Now I still want a "fun" car so the only one seems to me to be an Impreza Auto. Got the right blend of looks (new model), pedigree and useability (rear seats etc etc). without the death inducing 280 hp.

Sticky point is lack of info on the N/A cars. How much better on fuel are they? If a Turbo driving sedatley can get 30 mpg then the N/A car should get 35-40 quite easily? And driving hard will still be 30 ish??

Any advice, info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13 April 2004, 12:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

35-40 mpg hmmm i wish!!!!

I have a 2.0 gl n/a i get roughly 26 to the gal mind you, thats on 11 gals

(wagon) i think conservitvly you could expect the same.... unless you did some strict 56mph control

it,s very difficult with an engine that wants to play yee haaa all the time!!!

the downside is the autobox,,, have you tried a manual, the clutch and box in sccobs are very light in operation

Mart
Old 13 April 2004, 12:35 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

from all accounts the NA impreza'a are very good cars with a good reliable engine.

The guys here ( http://www.imprezasport.net ) know their stuff about the NA cars though, I think a lot of them post on here too.

Oh, and welcome to SN

James
Old 13 April 2004, 12:48 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

no, its an auto.
Old 13 April 2004, 01:35 PM
Robbo71
Scooby Newbie

26mpg!!! Oh ****....hmmmmmmm ok cheers for the info lads. Manual is not an option due to buggered up left leg (ok for bike gears, just not strong enough for extended clutch work, I.e. town and traffic jams)
Old 13 April 2004, 01:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

You can get early import (turbo)WRX's with auto boxes, not so sure about later models and I'm pretty sure it wasn't an option on UK cars.

Turbo really isn't that much more to run than a sport as long as your insurance is nice and cheap that is.
Old 13 April 2004, 01:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbo71
26mpg!!! Oh ****....hmmmmmmm ok cheers for the info lads. Manual is not an option due to buggered up left leg (ok for bike gears, just not strong enough for extended clutch work, I.e. town and traffic jams)
Buy any car you like and have an electric clutch fitted from under a grand, it can be moved from car to car also when you decide to sell.

I could think of so many better normally aspirated auto's than the big underpowered Impreza but as I've said, go manual if you wish, there is nothing stopping you.

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2004, 03:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you visit imprezasport.net as one of the guys has said and put a call out for "Nexuas" he is running a 5-door auto.....

Cheers
Simon
Old 13 April 2004, 03:31 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
If you visit imprezasport.net as one of the guys has said and put a call out for "Nexuas" he is running a 5-door auto.....

Cheers
Simon
And when put on powerstations rollers came out with 135.5 BHP with only a green cotton panel filter as a mod.

Come over to imprezasport.net and I will be happy to talk to you about it.

Last edited by Nexuas; 13 April 2004 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Got the BHP wrong
Old 13 April 2004, 03:46 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

As much as people on here are helpful, the only comments you can expect to receive regarding a N/A impreza are "Buy a turbo"

The auto sport is not mind numbingly fast, the manual sport again is not hugely fast. But it all depends on how you drive it. I would imagine 90% of the time most turbo owners do not execed the driving ability of the sport, do you need a turbo for 10% of your driving time? I reakon NO!!

I drive an auto out of choice, I went and took it for a test drive, liked it and brought it. I had wanted an impreza for years and finally I had the money to buy one. I don't want to pay the insurance costs of a turbo and am happy with the SLOW performance of the Sport.

From a standing start the auto is not brill, it is good, and is improved by manually selecting 1st, 2nd and then 3rd on the stick and holding it till 5500rpm then notching the stick up to the next gear, wait any longer and you will hit the rev limiter at 6380rpm.

If moving at 30MPH or so, press the power button and floor the gas, it will change down and send the enigine to the rev limiter in every gear. This is enough to perform n
most overtaking manovers.

Alot of people will say the sports handling is not great out of the box and I will agree. The best improvements come from 16" or 17" wheels, if you are going for a new one, try and get this out of the dealer as a deal clincher.

Mine also has eibach springs, the wheel alignment done by Powerstation and toyo proxies' on each corner.

I have also uprated the brakes to turbo twin pots with Performance pads. All of which has improved the car.

It will not win the traffic light grand prix. It is only just faster than a Mk1 Golf GTI(Corners better)

It is probably not as good as an auto focus/astra/audi etc... Poor subaru build quality, losses through fourwheel drive etc.. BUT IT IS A SUBARU

The choice as they say is yours.

If you are in the reading/bracknell ascot area, let me know and I will take you out in mine, let you see what it is like.
Old 13 April 2004, 03:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

quote: " would imagine 90% of the time most turbo owners do not execed the driving ability of the sport, do you need a turbo for 10% of your driving time? I reakon NO!!"

You are wrong I use at least 80% of the Turbos ability most of the time. Not that I'm saying sports are crap, they are a capable car and if you need AWD then almost uniquely positioned. in the UK market. But if you can afford the insurance just cut out the middleman and get a turbo surely?

Must say though a sport does NOT corner better than a MK2 golf at least, the golf is not only more fun but has 'better' handling which we all know is subjective, but IMHO is true.
Old 13 April 2004, 06:21 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

I used to get around 30-32mpg from my GL, although that was a 1.8 manual. They're not particularly economical cars - that one in particular, I found to be a bit underpowered, probably because they're 4x4. Did you think of other stuff - honda prelude for example - there's a lot of autos around.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:48 AM
Robbo71
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.....I must admit as a soon to be Ex biker I'm used to having vehicles with a "sporty" pedigree, which is a big reason why I'm thinking of the Scooby (plus I love Rallying )

I've looked up other Auto's and there doesn't seem to be much in it really. The only other one I fancy is the 206 Xsi tiptronic (I wish Subaru did a turbo with tiptronic!). I want to think this through with my head but my heart is saying it wants a scooby.

Nacro you say a Mk2 golf has better handling, surely the Impreza in the wet will be much better (thus much safer)?

Spoon - you mention an electric clutch?!! Would that mean I could legally drive a manual? I only have an auto license. If it does, where can I get them from?

Once again I'd like to thank you all for your replies and opinions.
Old 14 April 2004, 08:46 AM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "Nacro you say a Mk2 golf has better handling, surely the Impreza in the wet will be much better "

The golf has 'better' handling in all situations wet or dry IMHO- however the Impreza has much more grip and better roadholding for want of a better term, especially in the wet. I don't like terminal understeer so I prefer the Golf's handling.
No doubt the Impreza is safer but it's also less fun.
Old 14 April 2004, 08:47 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Why not buy a Scooby SVX then? 3.3 litre flat 4, coupe, 4x4, auto, all the toys, interesting styling

I've no idea if they're any good, but maybe someone will know?
Old 14 April 2004, 09:54 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Robbo71
Spoon - you mention an electric clutch?!! Would that mean I could legally drive a manual? I only have an auto license. If it does, where can I get them from?
Robbo- Yes your auto license is enough to allow you to drive a converted manual. Technically the clutch pedal should be removed although you just have it on a quick release butterfly nut and remove it when you drive if you can be bothered.

I have driven cars with this set-up including a 500hp+ Cosworth, 911 turbo, RS4 etc and there are places carrying out this work up and down the country.

The place I use is in the Midlands so it depends where abouts you are located but I will try and find links to other places and post back.

With this set-up you are free to choose any car you can afford.

Subura do sell a tiptronic Impreza as well though or you may want an older import auto turbo if it's what you have set your mind on.
Old 14 April 2004, 12:18 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Smile

[QUOTE=Robbo71]

I've looked up other Auto's and there doesn't seem to be much in it really. The only other one I fancy is the 206 Xsi tiptronic (I wish Subaru did a turbo with tiptronic!). I want to think this through with my head but my heart is saying it wants a scooby.

QUOTE]

Iv got a auto tiptronic scoob wrx turbo if your in the north east any time ill gladly take you for a run out and they not as rare as you might think
Old 14 April 2004, 12:40 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

have you thought of a legacy b4

still scooby twin turbo looks good also

not sure about the auto bit though

Mart
Old 14 April 2004, 02:58 PM
Robbo71
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies!! plenty (almost too much!) to think about! How do I get a tiptronic WRX? Do I just ask at the dealers??

Spoon, I'd be very gratefull if you could post some links, I've searched for electronic clutches but I'm bombarded by industrial sites so not sure what to look for!
Old 14 April 2004, 04:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Robbo- The conversion is recognised as a disability adaptation more than anything so searches along those lines are better.

Having said that I have the link here to a few companies that are exhibiting at Donington this year.

I'd recommend KC Mobility up North, Jim Doran in the Midlands and whoever doesn't rip you off in the south!!

If you aren't in a major hurry it's well worth attending the show to try a clutch on the race circuit, all for free too.

Click
Old 15 April 2004, 07:22 AM
Robbo71
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the info Spoon!
Old 15 April 2004, 12:09 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

D H Cars had an Auto Forrester STI,
250bhp ... great fun, not as quick as my STI but still an easy quick drive
Old 15 April 2004, 04:45 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

robo i might sell mine tiptronic 2001 import [as i think all tiptronic ones are ] if you got cash let me know. i fancy a bmw