Looking to buy a scoob and wanted to know

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 10:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a scoob and wanted to know

a couple of things please guys,

defo taking the plunge now, looked at a UK car in an electric type blue, R reg, full SS exhaust and thats the only mod which I was pleased with, full leather, few scratches here and there 68k miles but no history with it £7500

what sort of mileage do I have to look out for i.e. whens the cambelt due etc??? dont wanna go looking at a car and realise after I get it home I have a £500 service bill to fork out for.

any other info would be great too, any common/expensive faults to look for?

and what does this piston slap sound like? obvious answer is slapping Id guess but u dont know if u dont ask

thanks guys.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:46 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Mileage isnt really important, but FSS is a must.
Old 13 April 2004, 10:55 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

hi dave,

You definatly want a full service history, piston slap is normally only heard when cold, sounds like when ur tappets are worn..

Goes away when warm, and doesnt always appear

where about are you? Ive got my insurance renewal through soon and have been thinking of selling myn, Silver UK, 98, EW, FSH, AirCon etc, 54k miles
Old 13 April 2004, 11:14 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

If it's been serviced to the manufacturers spec, the cambelt should have been done at 45k miles, and is due again at 90k miles - tends to be a £400+ service Don't want to let that one slip either, as an engine rebuild ain't cheap.
Look at the 'servicing' part on here - http://www.glenburgie-subaru.co.uk - to see what should have been done.

imo, it'd be worth trying to find a better one instead - plenty around at that price as well, or you could get the current owner to confirm that the servicing's been done/get them to do the cambelt change before you buy it.

They all tend to rattle a bit from the exhaust heatshield - tinny sort of noise, but that doesn't matter.
Drive more than just that one before you buy it though, so you know what they should be like, & compare the two.

If you're not happy with it, & it's got no service history, I'd go elsewhere, as it'll also be hard to sell on afterwards.

Last edited by Franx; 13 April 2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 13 April 2004, 11:16 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hi Gary, Im in notts area grantham.

defo wanted a service history of some sort not to fussed about a subaru history cause going of past experice dealers dont usually know their ar$e from their elbows anyhow.

so no word on when cambelt is due with these motors?

any insurance companies u can point us towards too? Id consider import if we can get reasonable insurance.
Old 13 April 2004, 11:19 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Franx
If it's been serviced to the manufacturers spec, the cambelt should have been done at 45k miles, and is due again at 90k miles - tends to be a £400+ service Don't want to let that one slip either, as an engine rebuild ain't cheap.
Look at the 'servicing' part on here - http://www.glenburgie-subaru.co.uk - to see what should have been done.

imo, it'd be worth trying to find a better one instead - plenty around at that price as well, or you could get the current owner to confirm that the servicing's been done/get them to do the cambelt change before you buy it.

They all tend to rattle a bit from the exhaust heatshield - tinny sort of noise, but that doesn't matter.
Drive more than just that one before you buy it though, so you know what they should be like, & compare the two.

If you're not happy with it, & it's got no service history, I'd go elsewhere, as it'll also be hard to sell on afterwards.
thanks for that info. defo dont think Id buy without history unless I was saving a wedge on book price. I actually went to look at an import but this was in better condition and I was interested. doesnt hurt too look around, plenty not far from me to weight up so we'll see.

thanks again