Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions/experiences please Scoob Vs.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2004, 09:42 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions/experiences please Scoob Vs.....

...the Honda S2000? A touch of friendly rivalry has raised the question between myself and a colleagues husband. He has a standard S2000 Coupe (i.e. the soft top not the GT hardtop) which is the older, unrevised model. I have a bugeye with decat, fuel pump and Tek3, suspension changes etc.

Now I know the S2000 is a quick car and I don't just want to know how the scoob would be better in the twisties (as I'm sure it would be, knowing the S2000 reputation of being tail happy and a bit of a handful). I'm thinking off the lights and 80+mph on the private test track kind of stuff.

I've driven the civic type r which has beaten the 2000 on TV on a track race and also another friend of mine raced his type r against his friends S2000 and were side by side the whole time. I thought the type r only felt special at high speed when you stayed in the vtec range for longer, below that it didn't feel explosive or anything (personal opinion only).

Has anyone raced one of these then, I'm assuming I'd leave him quite considerably upto 90 but then reckon his aerodynamics/less transmission losses would close/exceed the gap after then?? Opinions please?
Old 12 April 2004, 09:52 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

yawn, this old **** again? my cars faster than your car.....

1 thing to say, drivers capability would be the no1 deciding factor
Old 12 April 2004, 10:03 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Charmed, I'm sure. Why bother exploring the thread if it's too dull for you in the first place? But appreciate that driver ability would feature strongly here. Any body had any experiences?
Old 12 April 2004, 10:07 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Angry

yawn, this old **** again? my cars faster than your car.....
you mean the type of thread that has spawned pages and pages of interesting debate on scoobynet over the years

If you don't like it...... then just ignore it
Old 12 April 2004, 10:54 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Wink

ScrappyDoo2 you are quite correct. A Scoob is quicker up to motorway speeds but more evenly matched at Autobahn speeds.
However it's horses for courses. A scoob is a practical family car which just happens to be fast, the S2000 a good looking summertime 2 seater which also happens to be fast.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
For me it's Scoob everytime.

Blobster
Old 12 April 2004, 11:19 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

I though so too, my car feels very very quick upto 90 but after that it doesn't feel so special (and that's modified). Looked/sat in the S2000 and actually fell in love with it (it's so much better to look at when you're close up). On top of that it was the only roadster I'd ever managed to fit my 6'4" frame into, comfortably (just). You do feel very special sat inside it too, but I never bothered to go back for the test drive as I didn't want to end up getting tempted into getting rid of the scoob.

It all depends on the mood I'm in with regards to the look I prefer, obviously the Honda is the prettier car, but sometimes the brutish lumpy lines of my bugeye (with some cosmetic improvements) seem more satisfying?!

Bearing in mind the lack of performance differential between the S2000 and the civic type r (which I did drive), and how I felt driving the civic; I think that in terms of actual driver enjoyment the scoob wins. Although I'm sure the S2000 feels better in terms of the cabin ambience and low slung driving position...
Old 12 April 2004, 12:15 PM
ByByR1
Scooby Regular

ScrappyDoo2,
I done my first track day at croft at the weekend in my STi type UK Prodrive, there was an old civic crx on a G reg I think and a new M3, chased them for about 5 laps and managed to get passed the M3, it took another 2 laps to get passed the crx, down the straights it was very impresive for such an old car. I had a mate in with me and he couldn't belive how quick it was, spoke to the driver after the session and he said it was a standard car other than uprated brakes.
There was a s2000 going round in the intermediates against scoobs so if you go into the Northern section on here and ask if any one had a bit of a do with him I am sure you will get some sort of reply.