Sponsored by:

redline

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2004, 07:36 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy redline

why doesnt my scooby go into the redline? go's to 7000 and i belive the limiter comes in, its a my03
Old 03 April 2004, 07:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It's definately the limiter. WTF R U doing bouncing it off there? The turbo starts to run out of puff at about 6k, and as there's more torque available between 4-6k, there's no need to rag it up that high. Everytime you redline it you bring it 5k miles closer to a major engine failure, and look a dick who can't drive for toffee in the process.
Old 03 April 2004, 08:03 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by corradoboy
It's definately the limiter. WTF R U doing bouncing it off there? The turbo starts to run out of puff at about 6k, and as there's more torque available between 4-6k, there's no need to rag it up that high. Everytime you redline it you bring it 5k miles closer to a major engine failure, and look a dick who can't drive for toffee in the process.
ooopps on my part, this is my first scooby and im use to redlining the other cars i have had to get the max out of um thought scoob's would redline ok but i know better now thank for the info mate
Old 03 April 2004, 08:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Just reread what I wrote, and didn't mean to be so brash, sorry. Enjoy your car M8, but drive smoothly and progressively. It might not feel it, but it is the fastest way, ask any professional. If the car is going sideways, it ain't going forwards. Plus, there's more chance of getting there without breaking down which would make you really late
Old 03 April 2004, 08:40 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

i have set my shift light & beep to 6200 rpm so by the time you hear it your at 6500 or there abouts, just ready to shift up & the turbo is still spooling
thats the best for me !>!>!

sti-04!!
Old 03 April 2004, 09:23 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

max power on mine is 6,600 and have no trouble hitting 7,500 redline in the low gears. Dont tend to as its not nice to the engine and uses loads of fuel. I tend to shift at <5K.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:03 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Are you saying that the engine will fail very quickly if you drive it to the factory set limit?

Im sure youre exagerating the '5 k miles closer to a failure',I know its not at all good good to rag your car but at a similar rate to what your saying ,the engine would be gone in a single trackday.

When you drive upto the red and change gears quickly, the power comes on instantly and there is virtualy no lag.

Its realy sad if a powerfull sports car with a good reputation for reliability
has to be driven cautiously so that you dont break it.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:08 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

If you look at an average power graph the power drops off as you approach the redline. So its better to change up and get the power from the next gear as long as you can drop into the power band of the next gear.
Old 05 April 2004, 05:05 PM
Matt_Turbo_2000
Scooby Regular

Yes you have to rev it just past the peak where power starts to drop off otherwise when you change up the revs will drop off too much and it will bog down. As a Rotax Kart driver the rule to gearing is you want too get the highest revs on as many parts of the track and just topping out on the longest straight. You gear it too go past the power peak on the rotax it's 12000rpm but you rev it to 13250rpm if you dont gear it right it will not pull out of corners.

I find changing at just over 6250rpm the best as when you change up you are right in the power band.