Hi, I'm New!

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 03:39 PM
Matt Gibbs
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I'm New!

Hi you lot, new guy here!
I've got a Scooby 1993 WRX arriving from Japan.
Few Question's, what are the main differences from the STi
what's the power difference
and what mod's can I do to make the car up to the STi's power?

Cheers

Matt
Old 29 March 2004, 03:41 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

Welcome to scoobynet m8
Old 29 March 2004, 03:50 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Scoobynet.

Don't want to scare you or anything but do some research before trashing the wotsits off your new machine. As you may know Jap Scoobs are mapped to run on 100 RON fuel, we only get 98 at best in the UK (Optimax). Normal unleaded is 95 RON. Most users here will recommend you run Optimax and octane booster to prevent the onset of detonation which can destroy your engine.

You might want to fit a Knocklink as well, this warns you if you are getting any detonation allowing you to ease off and prevent an engine blow up.
Old 29 March 2004, 04:06 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Thumbs up

Hi Matt, welcome to Scoobynet

My advice would be dont buy any upgrades at all...

...cos once you start, you wont be able to stop, its never ending. If you start, best have a couple of credits cards at the ready

Good luck

Oh.. and as Graz suggests, get a knocklink fitted, probably sooner rather than later. It wont make it go faster or handle better but it will save your engine (if you keep an eye on it) from det.

As far as performance mods go, decat exhaust, replacement panel filter, some iridium tip plugs. That should give a nice increase in BHP for relatively little hassel. Some exhaust manufactureers quote upto 40BHP increase. ]

Look on the forsale section on here, theres usually loads of good stuff

J
Old 29 March 2004, 05:09 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early STi's had around 270bhp, your car depending if its a 4 or 5 door will have 237bhp or 218bhp (240ps and 220ps on 100 ron fuel).
Knocklink is a must, you also need the sensor, as for upgrades... plenty out there, but you have to be careful what you do or else you could blow your engine up by running too lean

Tony
Old 29 March 2004, 06:28 PM
Matt Gibbs
Scooby Newbie

thank you for all your advice, how much is the knocklink ? and is it something someone can fit themselves?
It has a boot, so i'm guessing it's a 4 door with 237bhp. I'll be happy with STI power (270bhp) so a simple exhaust, decat and induction kit or panel filter will take me to around 270bhp, and this will be reliable every day usable power?
Also a quick qestion, what are scoob wrx break's like? same as the sti's or would it be worth me picking up a second hand set of calipers from sti's and getting sti discs ?

Thank you all again

Matt