Sponsored by:

imports help

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2004, 11:33 AM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up imports help

you may think this silly but how do you know if your scooby is an import ,i thought they all were,is it just the lefthand drive righthand drive thing or can you tell some other way i brought my o4 sti last week from carcraft and i saved loads of cash on the deal got it for 22,000 with years warranty on it there warranty but the fact is they dont know much about the cars they didnt even know if it had a key code for the radio i havent got any paper work to say were its from so confused has to what it is please can anyone help
Old 27 March 2004, 12:07 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

hi
have a look at the service book if its in english then car is uk if its in dutch or belgian (service intervals in kms etc, its an eu import to uk spec and if its all japanese or there isnt one then i would suspect its an import.
hope that helps
Old 27 March 2004, 05:47 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by navigator
hi
have a look at the service book if its in english then car is uk if its in dutch or belgian (service intervals in kms etc, its an eu import to uk spec and if its all japanese or there isnt one then i would suspect its an import.
hope that helps
cheers m8 no service booklet at all just owners manual and a booklet of dealers thanks for reply
Old 27 March 2004, 05:53 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Jap imports usually have a rear wiper (saloon) UK models have a bright switch just above the radio, I think the euro imports are the same spec as the UK ones anyway unless I am wrong
Old 27 March 2004, 06:59 PM
black_cat17
Scooby Regular

I always thought the easiest way to tell was whether there was the SUBARU lettering on the boot (I know some people do take them off anyway). If they have the lettering they are UK spec.

Last edited by black_cat17; 27 March 2004 at 07:00 PM. Reason: forgot to say which was which
Old 27 March 2004, 07:37 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The bright switch on -01 onwards models is on the indicator stalk.
Old 27 March 2004, 07:38 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

presumably a 04 sti would be brand new....!? I'd be asking why no service booklet. I'd also be thinking 'no service booklet = import'. Cyprus/malta are possibilities

alan
Old 27 March 2004, 08:06 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toigye
you may think this silly but how do you know if your scooby is an import ,i thought they all were,
Lol, they're all made in Japan, but some are sold through the official UK Importer through the official UK dealer network, and have an official Subaru UK warranty. Others are imported unofficially by third parties, from mainland Europe, Cyprus, Malta, Japan or wherever.

is it just the lefthand drive righthand drive thing
No. The usual definition of an "import" Subaru is one that has been imported unofficially, rather than officially via Subaru UK.

i brought my o4 sti last week from carcraft
If you bought a new car from a non-Subaru main dealer, it's almost certain to be an import from either Europe or one of the satellite countries. You need to find out whether it's a European or non-European market car, as you should find that Subaru UK will recognise a European market car's warranty.

and i saved loads of cash on the deal got it for 22,000 with years warranty on it there warranty
It's not an official UK car then. They come with a three year manufacturer's warranty. UK market Subarus come with extra bits and pieces fitted, like a Category 1 alarm. Does your car have one?

but the fact is they dont know much about the cars they didnt even know if it had a key code for the radio i havent got any paper work to say were its from so confused has to what it is please can anyone help
You don't have any paperwork? Why on earth not?

Does it have a pink "Type UK" badge on the bootlid? If so, it'll be an official UK car. If it doesn't, it'll be a grey import.

Either way, you shouldn't take "we're fick, we don't know" as an answer, phone Carcraft back up and ask to speak to someone who knows what the score is. You should also ask where the hell the service book is...

BTW, BlackCat, your idea about using the boot lettering to tell imports from UK cars doesn't work.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 27 March 2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 27 March 2004, 08:28 PM
kickflip668
Scooby Regular

must admit i don't know a lot about euro imports but my jap import is easy to spot as all the warning signs etc are in japanese. doesn't your insurer know its origin? it should also say on your log book if its an import. if its an import and you havn't told your insurer, does it invalidate your insurance? not much help. hope u get it sorted
Old 27 March 2004, 08:39 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Smile does it really matter

thanks guys i guess its a import then it as sti in pink on the boot lid but not uk type it as bright switch on light switch near steering wheel i do seem to remember somone mention cyprus its all a bit hazy as they talk in riddles it did not have cat 1 fitted but its in tomorrow for one .and it did not come with warranty but i paid 390 quid in with the price of car which they sold me as 21,605.00 then 390.00 for 3 years warranty i still think i got a great deal what do you think guys please carry on thread with your comments . and hey just washed her on the drive shes beautyfull
Old 27 March 2004, 09:08 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It does really matter Dan. For starters, your insurer will need to know it's an import, or, as mentioned above, there's a risk your policy may be invalid if it's insured as an "STi Type UK".

Secondly, you may find that some Subaru main dealers won't service it, and thirdly it'll affect the value when you eventually come to trade it in.

The second two issues are bridges you can cross when you come to them, but you can't take risks with the insurance, you need to be certain it's covered.
Old 27 March 2004, 11:07 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

enjoy it.....!!! - but it will never be beautiful - it's a FUGLY!!!!!!!

alan (my00)
Old 27 March 2004, 11:48 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
It does really matter Dan. For starters, your insurer will need to know it's an import, or, as mentioned above, there's a risk your policy may be invalid if it's insured as an "STi Type UK".

Secondly, you may find that some Subaru main dealers won't service it, and thirdly it'll affect the value when you eventually come to trade it in.

The second two issues are bridges you can cross when you come to them, but you can't take risks with the insurance, you need to be certain it's covered.
thanks for your help m8 insurance sorted igave them reg and vin number on engine told them i wasnt sure were it was from and some other details they told me they would check and let me know if there was any probs but not heard anything its insured as imprezza wrx sti, cheers for pointing out other bits too will ring local dealer and ask them about service
Old 27 March 2004, 11:51 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
enjoy it.....!!! - but it will never be beautiful - it's a FUGLY!!!!!!!

alan (my00)
what a fugly
Old 28 March 2004, 02:43 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

"fugly" - something 'classic' ( and some 'new age' owners!) owners call the new shape car - f**king ugly

alan