ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Painting car parts !!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2004, 02:20 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting car parts !!

I should hopefully be in possetion of some new side skirts and a rear under bumper trim for my 01 Bugeye WRX.

I'll need to paint these , so whats the best option ?

1 : try to paint them myself to keep costs to a minimum & if so how many coats & what laquer etc

2: take them to a reputable dealer to have them done ....cost ??

3: take them to a 3rd party body shop ...cost ??

any info appreciated

Phil
Old 25 March 2004, 02:50 PM
RB5193
Scooby Regular

Any decent bodyshop should do a proper job, your looking at about £200 to get the lot painted if you shop around!
Old 25 March 2004, 03:49 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Madgrip

As you beat me to these I'm inclined not to answer

3rd Party bodyshop the best option IMHO. If you post your general location I'm sure somebody could point you in the right direction. I had my side skirts colour coded for £150 plus vat, as they have the paint in the gun I guess it would be just a bit more for the rear's as well

Midlife.....
Old 25 March 2004, 03:59 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I know of a good body shop that I'd trust to do the painting, I was really looking for some encouragement to do them myself

Thanks anyway guys, I think I'll give the local place a call when the parts turn up.

BTW MidLife.. I thought you managed to source a kit ?

Phil

www.wyioc.co.uk

Last edited by MadGrip; 25 March 2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 25 March 2004, 04:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Phil

Are your parts black?? If so there may be an extra stage........On my original WRX black sills the bodyshop (allegedly) had to put on some sort of undercoat which bonded to the plastic sills before painting.

Shaun

PS I pulled out of the other bodykit at the £175 stage !!
Old 25 March 2004, 04:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Phil

do them yourself, will cost you at the most 30 quid and a few evenings,

I did mine, and after 15-20k miles, they still look the same, no flaking etc, basically why pay 200 quid for something that will get stonechipped

basicaly you will need a couple of tins of plastic primer, a couple of tins of colour, and a couple of tins of lacquer, plus some fine grade wet n dry

all can be bought from Halfrauds

Old 25 March 2004, 04:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Sonic

I guess the "plastic primer" you mention above was the bonding undercoat my bodyshop mentioned the bodyshop intimated that this was the difficult bit !! If it's easy then maybe Phil could be persuaded to have a go

Midlife.....
Old 25 March 2004, 05:07 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

not sure what colour they are.. Sonic will know before me (if all goes well)

I just assumed they're black, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll already be primered.

Think I'll have a go myself

Phil

Sonic..Did you manage to get the group buy price honoured for the BlackJax?
Old 25 March 2004, 05:16 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Do It Yourself, i was quoted £200 for my sills,i bought the paint and primer from Halfords (£50) and they looked great.
If your anygood with the aerosol you will be fine, bosyshops take the p#ss when it comes to pricing bits of plastic to paint.

I've worked in some and with the right equipment it takes less than 1 1/2 hours from start to finnish and that includes drying for a full bodykit.

To paint my wing mirror on my new SAAB they wanted £35+ Vat,i bought the gloss Black paint for £5 and the dealer said after it was done, 'Ohh i've seen you got it done proffesionally then ', er no i did it myself for £5 at which point he walked away.
Old 25 March 2004, 06:56 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Wont really matter what colour they are Phil, both will have to be sanded down, my sides came off a 95 WRX and where white, I sanded them down, plastic primer & colour & lacquer

the rears where black (unpainted) and I did the same procedure as for the sides

IIRC the colour is 8.99 a can from halfords (i used two), I got two tins of lacquer (i think 5.99 a tin) and two tins of plastic primer (again around 5.99 a tin) and then a pack of Wet N Dry (prolly around a fiver, cant quite remember now)

Oh, after I sanded them, I used thinners to clean em up, and then lots of water (to get rid of the thinners)

and then I did them over a couple of evenings

Even if the garages go on about plastic, all the ones I spoke to wouldnt give any guarantee on the paint sticking either, so I figured 30 odd quid with no gaurantee, was much better than 200 quid with no guarantee

edited to add, for the sake of 30 quid, even if you do **** em up, you can still take them to a bodyshop

Old 25 March 2004, 07:00 PM
Desert Fox
Scooby Regular

The chances are the parts will be black or white plastic dependant upon the manufacturer. It is unlikely they will be primed. The primer required is actually a special primer with an adhesion promoter added.

The parts will require a thorough clean to remove any mould release agent if they are not primed.

At least 3 coats of basecoat will be required prior to the clearcoat being applied, I also recommend that you apply at least 3 wet applications of clearcoat and allow to dry.

After 24hrs, the parts can be compounded and polished if required to remove inclusions which you WILL get if not painted in a clean garage or paint shop.

The important bit to remember is preparation. Fill and stopper any holes or damage prior to painting with primer, and then check again as primer will show any defects. Flat as required using 1200 grade wet and dry, you can use superfine if required.

Most importantly don't rush!

In case you are wondering,I work for the largest automotive paint manufacturer in the world. If you need any help contact me.
Old 25 March 2004, 07:09 PM
Desert Fox
Scooby Regular

Hey Madgrip,
Just realised you are in Yorkshire. I am in Leeds, if you require me to look at these parts. I already have some paint in my garage in 2 shades that I made for my UK300 which unfortunately its a special colour.

If you are nice, I may even paint the parts for you.

PS I happen to know of a works Prodrive wing that may be available when we did work for Prodrive.
Old 25 March 2004, 11:00 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice all, mmm WRC wing

I'm in Leeds aswell mate, just got home from the local west yorkshire meet.

If you fancy a trip out or coming to some of our track days/meets etc go to www.wyioc.co.uk and click on forums.

Phil
Old 25 March 2004, 11:18 PM
Madjay2
Scooby Regular

now i know this is very different
but back when i had my nova, i ripped apart the dash board and all the black bits i painted red to match the outside. sanded it down, plastic primer, primer, painted it laquer polish. its look the biz lol

if i can do it u can do it cus im a fecking clown
Old 26 March 2004, 12:03 AM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

Some classic colour coding threads started by moles dad....

here,
here,
...and here

Last edited by pele; 26 March 2004 at 12:04 AM. Reason: blonde....
Old 26 March 2004, 12:59 AM
Wrx Iom
Scooby Regular

Question My skirts

Anyone know who can match up the colour for spraying my skirts??

Silver Wrx classic shape.

Many of you mention Halfords. Do you think they will have some to match perfectly on my Jap imp.?

And what about slight scuffs on the plastic, can they come off etc?? Or will i have to buy new ones? What do you think??
Old 26 March 2004, 08:32 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get a match at Halfords, they mix it up there for you, you should have the paint code on your VIN plate under the bonnet, on the passenger side strut (or close to it)

Scuffs on the plastic (are you talking about the side skirts in black) if so I guess if they are only light scuffs you could rub em down with some fine grade wet n dry (which you will have to do before primer anyway, and in between coats

What I did, was buy some 2nd hand skirts, spray them, swap them over, then sold my originals
saved me driving round with no side skirts