Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a STi PPP had a remap?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2004, 06:03 PM
scoobypet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone with a STi PPP had a remap?

If you could provide me with details of your owners/drivers experiences (ie. no 3rd or 4th party chinese whispers), good or bad - PM or e-mail if you like - I'm interested as I would like this doing but remember a rather negative thread on the subject a while back.
Thanks

Last edited by scoobypet; 18 March 2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 18 March 2004, 08:12 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

What exactly are you after mate? Thats probably a good starting point for the thread
Old 18 March 2004, 08:26 PM
scoobypet
Scooby Regular

Question

Something along the lines of the TSL 333 but remap only. Just want an informed debate about the pro's & con's (given that one's shiny warrantee goes down the s*1tter). Is it worth doing for the extra gain given possible warranty/reliability issues?

Last edited by scoobypet; 18 March 2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 18 March 2004, 09:02 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have the TSL 333 (richard bulmer) re-map on my MY03 STi.......They also put a green cotton filter in for me and the uprated fuel pump. I already had my own de-cat exhaust.

I would say that the car feels much stronger now then it did before and with the ECU learning for the first few days it felt stronger and stringer. More power lower down and no-longer runs out of steam at the top end revs.

I have no idea what BHP it now has coz I didnt have the full package, ie the TSL firestorm exhaust as well. I'm not intending to put it on the RR coz im very happy with what it does and the difference.

Now with regards to your car, you already have 305BHP as quoted by Prodrive. To get the 333BHP you would need to buy the whole package including exhaust etc, ie around £1,700 from memory. Im not sure how much different the car would be in the real world to be honest. Its a lot of money for a small difference if thats all you get.

With the kind of power you have already a 28BHP difference for £1,700 might not be very economic or noticeable......of course its bye bye warranty too.

Now im sure as hell not trying to do TSL out of the work coz im up there again tomorrow giving them another £2K for more work being done.

Paul and the guys are top people IMHO, and if you want to know more about Richard Bulmer The mapper, get this months Jap performance Mag, there is a profile on him in it.

Easiest thing to do come to think of it is take a trip to Nottingham drive their demo car back to back with your own and see what you think.

hope this helps

Gary

Just read that you only want the re-map ....... Now totally not sure how much difference you will get.....The TSL zorst and sports CAT makes quite a difference i think.

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 18 March 2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 18 March 2004, 09:13 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Ive had my ppp taken off mine and now going down the route similar to the tsl 333.
The PPP is ok if you are wooried about the warrenty.

My reason for this was that the ppp and the original Ecu just dont hold boost.

My car will be mapped in 3-weeks time with the below.

New Janspeed downpipe 3" (open neck)
Hks Hyper 3" all the way from turbo back
Sti panel filter
Fse uprated fuel pump
Tek3

Mapped by Bob Rawle

Then of straight from Bobs to G-force for the R-R Day so i will let you know how it gets on.

R.B
Old 18 March 2004, 09:14 PM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Just had my car mapped at TSL, they seem like a great bunch to me. I would give them a ring as you probably have an ecutek license open on your ecu from the prodrive map, they may just custom remap that for you £300-£400 quid at a guess.

Tandy
Old 18 March 2004, 09:21 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say you can Re-map the PPP Ecu
Old 18 March 2004, 10:03 PM
gatman
Scooby Newbie

r u sure about the price ??? as i conntacteg tsl and they quoted me as little as 400 ish for the 333 upgrade as i already have the ppp.???
Old 18 March 2004, 10:42 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatman
r u sure about the price ??? as i conntacteg tsl and they quoted me as little as 400 ish for the 333 upgrade as i already have the ppp.???
chk the ish if you go for it get a firm price b4 hand. That way you know what you are getting and what it's going to cost you (ie 400 b4 vat or after vat, any extras you might need etc)

s
Old 18 March 2004, 10:50 PM
scoobypet
Scooby Regular

Smile

AFAIK it's about £600 for the TSL remap plus filter. PPP has everything else & there's no way I can justify junking it & starting again! I too am unconcerned about pub power/RR figures (although PPP is 305PS not 305BHP) & would like opinions about how the car is improved or otherwise on a ROAD. Having been in a 333 & my own car as a passenger (Scary) on different days it 'seems' like it would be worthwile.
Reading between the lines we have 1 definite +ve response so far.
Old 18 March 2004, 10:58 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Out of interest it would be nice to know what they can do for a WRX03 PPP.
ie possible power gains, or just smoother delivery more torque ect and cost please.

John
Old 18 March 2004, 11:01 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

From most accounts, the sports cat downpipe exhaust fitted as part of the PPP is as good as most and better than some (IIRC, Bob Rawle rates it quite highly and he knows a lot more than most people on here). Only "gain" from changing the exhaust - unless you're tuning a lot further - would be more noise, and IMHO not a good use of your money. With appropriate ECUTEK remap, you should get very similar performance to the 333 kit.

FWIW, I have been at rolling road days where decat+ecutek STi's are giving around 330bhp and STi PPPs only ~290. Whilst RRs figures aren't the greatest judge of things, it does show how much more you could get from the car.
Old 19 March 2004, 10:47 AM
scoobypet
Scooby Regular

Smile

That's 2 pos & 0 neg then so far