ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My cars better than yours R5 turbo vs UK turbo Sub

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2004, 11:08 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My cars better than yours R5 turbo vs UK turbo Sub

OK OK. This is fairly childish but I don't care.

Here's the situation.

Naive young lad at work thinks his Renault 5 turbo (bleed valve, lowered, bigger wheels) would be able to humble my UK turbo (decat, backbox etc etc) on our favourite B road..........the Cat and Fiddle...........

Comments appreciated to show to the lad.

Cheers!

Pete
Old 18 March 2004, 11:11 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Driver quality an issue?

An excellent driver would beat most people in a standard 1.6 Ford Focus.
Old 18 March 2004, 11:12 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Agreed..........

OK lets say, driver ability is not an issue.
Old 18 March 2004, 11:35 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go and shown him who's boss. If he winds the bleed valve up to "beat" you then his engine will blow, simple
Old 18 March 2004, 11:59 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

dependng on what he has done (mods), it'll be be quick (certainly in a straight line), but i'm not sure a reasonably well sorted and driven UK scoob would lose out. may be closer than people would think if driving ability is close.

Last edited by K9VYN; 18 March 2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 18 March 2004, 12:06 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I'm sure both cars can manage to get to 50, which I understand is the legal limit on that road?
Racing on the highway is also a serious criminal offence..........
Dont do it you have nothing to prove to this muppet.
Old 18 March 2004, 12:09 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

As you say, it's childish. If he's that irritating, take him along to a drag strip and handling course.

If it's done on the 'highway', it's dangerous. How many years of your freedom would you bet that a) you'd beat him and b) no 3rd party will get hurt.

Only a month or so since a couple of Asian lads got sent down for racing and causing death by DD.

Jeremy.
Old 18 March 2004, 12:18 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Vindaloo is absolutely right, take him to Santa Pod or York raceway or a circuit track day. Dont risk your life or any one elses life by racing on public roads.
In most cases its the guy who takes the most risk who wins, overtaking on bends etc rather than the fastest car or best driver. Wouldnt prove anything and you could both end up in prison or worse still dead!
He must be a total tw*t to even consider it any way. Hold your head up and walk away...................
Old 18 March 2004, 12:32 PM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

now i think about it, the only way to compare the cars reasonable accurately, rather than driving ability, is for ths same driver to complete the same courses/tests in each car. enter... THE STIG!

as mentioned above - the public highway isn't the place for this to happen. show him the SIDC track day calendar and tell him to pick a date!
Old 18 March 2004, 12:58 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

I'd like to say in my defence that this is completely a hypothetical situation. The last thing I would dream of doing is "racing" on the roads. I'm not saying I never break the rules of the road, but doing it on your own is quite a differant matter.

Already been to Santa Pod...........my 1/4 was 3 seconds faster than his.

Might invite him to my next track day though to put this to rest!!!
Old 18 March 2004, 01:26 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Just go and shown him who's boss. If he winds the bleed valve up to "beat" you then his engine will blow, simple
depends what mods he is running. cranking the boost up without doing anything else is sure fire disaster on any engine. the ren 5 block is very strong as standard and with correct fueling and charge temp cooling will easily take 18psi.
Old 18 March 2004, 01:47 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The bigger wheels are gonna slow him down & if he has put some crap lowering springs on it he is gonna bounce all over most B roads
Old 18 March 2004, 01:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
depends what mods he is running. cranking the boost up without doing anything else is sure fire disaster on any engine. the ren 5 block is very strong as standard and with correct fueling and charge temp cooling will easily take 18psi.
I appreciate that but how many 5s have been blown up by people turning the boost up to "beat" something
Old 18 March 2004, 01:55 PM
redevo
Scooby Regular

Don't agree with the racing on public roads lark but if his R5Turbo is set up well it could on a dry day embarrass a Scooby, after all it weighs **** all and its french so it'll handle just before its blows up! At the end of the day you can pick up your mates and your car will still be quick. The thing with the R5Turbo is soon as he has anybody else in the car it'll be a lot slower due to the small cc and there more to do with bhp per ton.
Old 18 March 2004, 02:01 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I can't remember the last time I saw an R5 that didn't smoke like a chimney and make nasty noises implying imminent death whilst trying!
OK - Weren't they about 120bhp standard? Say he's pushing 150-160bhp with the bleed valve etc - and the engine holds (even odds on that one) - I still reckon you would be quicker due to the more stable chassis and your driving skills not to mention the lack of suspension travel he will have .......

You know my car (03 WRX) and the only R5 to outrun me was running about 250bhp with a totally rebuilt block, pistons, cylinder head, valves, exhaust, hybrid turbo, air filter, additional injectors and god knows how much boost!
Old 18 March 2004, 02:20 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
OK - Weren't they about 120bhp standard? Say he's pushing 150-160bhp with the bleed valve etc - and the engine holds!
if the fueling is right, it is a single carb and easy to have RR tested to check the fueling, then it will run this all day.
Old 18 March 2004, 02:28 PM
Big Flex
Scooby Newbie

The Cat and Fiddle road is so fast...it's unreal...but also very dangerous. You will kick the *** off the R5 unless he's a better driver than you are.
Old 18 March 2004, 02:53 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I appreciate that but how many 5s have been blown up by people turning the boost up to "beat" something
gonna have to reply to alot of these messages singlually.

firstly this is not just R5's its all turbo cars, raise the boost and the fueling will be weak and pop goes the head gasket.
Old 18 March 2004, 03:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I can't remember the last time I saw an R5 that didn't smoke like a chimney and make nasty noises implying imminent death whilst trying!!
beg to differ, lots of R5's out there in much better condition that half the scoobys on the roads

OK - Weren't they about 120bhp standard? Say he's pushing 150-160bhp with the bleed valve etc - and the engine holds (even odds on that one) - I still reckon you would be quicker due to the more stable chassis and your driving skills not to mention the lack of suspension travel he will have .......
A lowered GTT running 15" rims will be a VERY good handling car. round the twisties even without the 4wd a well driven 1 could keep up on a scoobys bumper (trust me been there done that) whats the power on a std scoob? minus the transmission losses through the 4wd and the extra weight it pulls? not knocking the scoob cause I love 1 and owuld like 1 myself but the ignorance of alot of people tot he GTT is stupid, they are a very underated motor

You know my car (03 WRX) and the only R5 to outrun me was running about 250bhp with a totally rebuilt block, pistons, cylinder head, valves, exhaust, hybrid turbo, air filter, additional injectors and god knows how much boost!
my GTT (have 2 1 modded 1 std) running a very reliable 190bhp with 126k miles on the clock without a rebuild has been pulling away from many a UK scoob at santa pod. and mine is far from being the quickest of R5's around, most of the 5's I kknow are running around my sort of power 190BHP in a car that weights 800kg, do the maths mate 240BHP per ton. do the BHP per tonn on the scoob
Old 18 March 2004, 03:02 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I'd like to say in my defence that this is completely a hypothetical situation. The last thing I would dream of doing is "racing" on the roads. I'm not saying I never break the rules of the road, but doing it on your own is quite a differant matter.

Already been to Santa Pod...........my 1/4 was 3 seconds faster than his.

Might invite him to my next track day though to put this to rest!!!
completely different story then, up the pod in a straight line you beat him by a good 3seconds he couldnt have a well modded 5. must be runnign low boost. the average 5 can be running 14.5 seconds no problems

should waste him tbh.
Old 18 March 2004, 03:04 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

1 last post, sorry

its annoying to read about this cause the R5 is ever becoming a classic car and an icon of the 80's its such a shame these idiots who can get their hands on the cars and mod them in the worst way possible, gives us other car enthusisast a bad name, just watch, scoobs are becoming like that too the more they are becoming cheaper
Old 18 March 2004, 03:30 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I was reading an old mag the other day and found one that's 320 bhp
Old 18 March 2004, 03:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was reading an old mag the other day and found one that's 320 bhp
aiii, theres dd autosports 5 running 354BHP proven on a rolling road at power engineering I think it was.

now a customer of KTEC has had on rollers showing 270BHP, great, not a bad effort at all from a 1.4 pushrod engine but they added 100shot of nos too it (doubt it'd even hold together tbh) and claimed it had 370BHP. I mean come on, thats just stupid. no way thats gonna work out.
Old 18 March 2004, 03:48 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Short of that take a ruler with you next time you both go for a pi55.
Old 18 March 2004, 03:51 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dosenöffner
Short of that take a ruler with you next time you both go for a pi55.
lmao
Old 18 March 2004, 03:52 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Question why ?

why are we even entertaining this thread ??? surely we've all got better things to do with our time like having or *******'s sawn off with a rusty stanley knife than even contemplating this complete and utter rubbish. If your mate drives a renault satsuma XR4i turbo flangegromet fanny magnet then maybe he should find a forum that cares and bother them.
If he really wants a proper stupid debate then maybe his should pose his question on the Zonda owners club forum instead ?

btw - what drugs is he on and can he get me some.. lol ?
Old 18 March 2004, 04:22 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

No need for narrow mindedness! I thought this would kick up a bit of a stink with some. However, its an entertaining read when you've been in a sterile microbiology laboratory all day..........trust me!

I'm well aware of the many well modded R5s about. I too once read the more "choice" magazines. I remember that fella from Charisma had over 300 horsies in his. My colleague's isn't like this, just like my Sub isn't like Harvey's, Wallis' or Possum's. I'd say an equal amount of cash has gone into his 5 and my Sub.........and he's up for coming to Curborough to try and show me who's the boss. Should be a laugh. If he beats me then i'll get his bonus cut!!!

In my opinion, the Sub is still a much more refined (just) and useable road rocket. Especially for the less experienced driver.

Childish it might be but at least its another car in the debate......not "my STI is much better than a P1, WR1, WRX etc". We're all on the same side remember!!
Old 18 March 2004, 04:24 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

By the way, i'm fairly sure my Dad is bigger than yours.

Old 18 March 2004, 04:27 PM
rosswalker
Scooby Regular

Wink

The scoob cant lose. Last time I got in one of those R5 death traps....took the first corner at speed(60mph) and it just went straight on! up the verge. narrowly escaped a nasty meeting with a ditch. My advise is dont offer to swap cars if he wants a rematch after you win!
Old 18 March 2004, 04:30 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

mad scientist, I completely understand where u are coming from.

Carismas R5 was a joke, 300 ponies and 170mph. thats alone in the mag feature proved it was a joke considering the gear box is std and with a std box he aint gonna get much more than 140mph reving the ***** outta the engine.... PLUS will all that added weight from his sound system aint gonna pull well up the strip

The sub is defo a much more refinded car, cant deny that, the R5 is a tin pot rattley monster, but its still a monster

as you stated, its a debate, not a heads up ar$es my cars quicker yours is sh!te....

Quick Reply: My cars better than yours R5 turbo vs UK turbo Sub