Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I’ve had her for 3 weeks now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 09:18 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I’ve had her for 3 weeks now!!!

I’ve had my WRX PPP for three weeks now and I wish I’d got one earlier.
What a fantastic car and the noise it makes if just puts a on my face.

Can’t believe how well it pulls in every gear and how I keep thinking how fast did I go round that corner?

Mods im thinking of doing well….
18” or 19” wheels when my tyres are needing changed
Mud flaps.
S.E.C.S. unit.
Solid drop links
Quick shift
And I think that’s about it….

Do I regret not getting an STi, nope…..
Old 15 March 2004, 10:39 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Old 16 March 2004, 02:49 AM
pearcey555
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Agree with you totally... bought my MY03 with PPP already so cant comment on the beast as standard, but it rocks with PPP.
Old 16 March 2004, 06:58 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

you just got the PPP on yours pearcy555?
Old 16 March 2004, 09:27 AM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Default Still waiting on mine

Glad you're enjoying yours, I'm still waiting on mine - maybe the launch of the WR1 is causing a slight delay.

Status when ordered: at the depot. Status last week: at the depot! Still only a couple of weeks to the due date

I test drove the streight WRX for a day (about 4 hours of driving), and the only real complaint was the lack of tourque below 2K rpm. But there again my current car is a V6 which doesn't stall even when crawing in traffic at 20 mph in 5th (about 500-600 rpm).

Anybody got any opinions about the quick shift - worth getting or not?
Old 16 March 2004, 12:22 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Rewolf...

When did you order yours??

I'm waiting for my 04MY WRX arriving, Mines been on order for about 3weeks and I was told when I ordered it that it would be end of March early April.

Im like you, intersted in the quick shift
Old 16 March 2004, 01:17 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Ordered it 25th Feb after making sure that I could get reasonable insurance (£640 with LV) and good finance (loan on mortgage which we had been overpaying). Promise date was (and still is) April 1st which is good as it matches up with the Tax year - my current car is a company car.
If it was just a WRX I could have driven away the next day (2 unregistered ones in stock in the right colour), but my wife wanted the SL for the heated seats, and fortunately there was one at the "docks".
Apparently IM get them in by the ship load, but then have to do UK specific mods such as fitting the Cat 1 immobiliser and alarm. This happens at the "depot" after which they are transported to the dealer who then has to fit the PPP and CD changer.
It is ordered from Showells (Stourbridge area main dealer), and I have no complaints about them at all. While I might have saved money by using an importer, the experience of a mate of mine who ordered a Focus from Virgin really put me off. He spent hours on the phone and sending letters, it was months late, and the specifications when delivered were all wrong.

Is there anybody who has fitted the WRX Prodrive quickshift? The dealer suggested that it is a good option, and I can get it fitted labour free, but they didn't have one for me to try. The standard WRX shift didn't appear too bad to me - nice positive action, relatively short throw (about 3"?), and miles better that that fitted to my ST200. Does it really transform the car and make shifting quicker (assuming a driver with some co-ordination)?

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2004, 02:09 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Rewolf...

I find the gear shift a bit long after having a MR2 Roadster with a very short stubby gear leaver.

Did you get a good deal on the PPP kit?

Mine was orderd on the 18th Feb.
Old 16 March 2004, 02:36 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Thats a good question about the quickshift as its the next thing i'm considering aswell!
Maybe you should post a seperate thread if nobody answers.

Frenchie (WRX03ppp)
Old 16 March 2004, 02:55 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Have a look at

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ght=quickshift
Old 16 March 2004, 03:17 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Jasoon,

Thanks for the link, without the Search function for general users, it is impossible to find older threads unless Google has recently indexed the site. Hint, hint

Unfortunately it is about the STi QuickShift, and the dealer thought that the WRX quickshift would make the WRX shift more like a standard STi shift (although still 5 gears obviously).

I did start a thread about it in Technical > Drivetrain, but almost nobody noticed, so when you started this thread I though lets try again...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=305434

Regarding prices, it is difficult to work out how much each part of the order is because I just have a single price of £22K for WRX SL, PPP and CD multichanger which is about 8% off list (not forgetting metalic paint!). Not a massive discount, but close to the target price suggested by magazines.

The quickshift is available at list price £200, but fitting is free IF ordered before the delivery date. This is why some quick advice would be appreciated....

Last edited by Rewolf; 16 March 2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 16 March 2004, 03:54 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Ok Guys I have wrx03 ppp and fitted the quick shift at the first 1,000 mile service. It has made the throw between gears much shorter as you wold expect which means you feel like you are changing gear quicker!! The only downside is that the gear change has a more mechanical feel to it which is a little disconcerting at fist but you soon get used to it.

The other thing that you need to watch is that when these cars are cold first thing in the morning the change from 1st to 2nd is very stiff and difficult to engage and the quick shift does not always help this situation as it can beat the synchromesh.(operator error!!)

If I was in your position the next best thing to spend your money on after the ppp kit would be to fit the Prodrive lowered spring kit which makes a great difference in handling & ride and lowers front by 25mm & rear 20mm.which makes the car look a lot better IMHO.

Have Fun

John
Old 16 March 2004, 03:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Prodrive quickshift on my MY04 PPP.
I can't say that it feels any different from any other aftermarket Subaru QS. They all tend to be the single sticks whereas the Prodrive one is the whole linkage.
As with any other QS I've had, it makes the shift more positive but at the expense of making 1st & Rev even harder to get in.
I'd buy a non-Prodrive QS and use the rest for other goodies IMO.

Nick
Old 16 March 2004, 04:16 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got an MY04 WRX with the quiclkshift fitted. Get it. It shortens the throw considerably over the standard. Deffo a more mechanical/surefooted feel.

I've had mine 8 days and in a fortnight it should be going in for the 1000 mile service.

I WILL be buying the Prodrive Spring Kit - my old jap prelude suspension was harder than the WRX and the car could deffo be an inch or so lower IMHO.
Old 16 March 2004, 06:35 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Well an interesting mix of opinions.....

Hadn't really considered the spring kit. The main reason for not getting an STi was not price, but rather the more forgiving ride on our wonderfully maintained UK roads. Don't know what we pay road tax for.

My daily commute is 50 mile round trip including motorway, normal A roads, and about 10 miles of B and smaller roads. Included is at least 6 speed bumps (alternative routes to avoid bad traffic increase this to a worst case 20, or more if you include some of the most evil ones in the world - Love Lane between Oldswinford and Stourbridge), 4 hump back bridges, and about a zillion pot holes, "speed awareness" bumps, and more.

The ST200 crashes badly over all of these, and it feels like being shaken to death. In fact a rear shock was knackered within a year, and it took 5 visits to a main dealer before I could even convince them that there was a problem (fitter at Kwik Fit spotted it within seconds). I knew, because the car had aquired a massive amount of understeer, but because they couldn't compress the car by pushing on a corner they didn't believe me. Never, ever, going to get a Ford again. And don't even get me started on the subject of Moosing.....

Anyway, back on subject - chose the WRX because a car designed more like a rally car has got to be better for this assault course than one designed for touring car racing....hasn't it? The test drive took in the full range, and it was much, much better than the ST200.

So having picked the car with the "better suspension for going over speed bumps at 70 mph", it seems a bit pointless to then change the more forgiving springs for firmer and shorter ones. Unless that is, the car will still ride as well over all these hazards?

Not sure about lowering the car too much either. Yes it will roll less, but the only accident in the ST200 was when my wife did her usual "park it by going forward until the wheels hit the curb" trick. Except the ST200 front was about 6" lower than that on her Pug 406 (rust in hell), and there was a very nasty noise. No real damage, but very embarrasing at the time. Those Love Lane speed bumps are covered in scratches, and the last thing I want, is to be damaging my new baby on traffic infuriating measures.

p.s. My wife sells heavy duty conveyors and they use springs of this size and similar rating by the ton, and she thinks that they are about £20 each at cost, so £195 + fitting is a bit steep too. (This doesn't mean that she can get identical springs before anybody asks)
Old 18 March 2004, 05:37 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Good news, the car is no longer at the depot, it's at the dealers

And I have gone for the quickshift - by doing it now I save £85 on fitting...

But I still have 2 weeks to go until I get my mitts on it. It is then run-in time.

Is there a consensus on the best way to run a new WRX in? Should I follow the book and keep the revs below 4000 all the time, or do I give it an occasional visit to the red-line. I remember seing a few threads on this, some suggesting that occasional red-line treatment helped loosen the engine up quicker and it would develop more power. Anybody want to relate their experiences?
Old 18 March 2004, 05:54 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear that Rewolf

How come its taking two weeks to PDI the car?

Or are you wating to April to get the car?

I'll be keeping mine bellow 4000rpm for the first 1000 mile, when i get her

I'll have to give the dealers a ring and see if they can tell me when my new ones due in....
Old 18 March 2004, 06:18 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've kept mine below 4,000 (couple of lapses to 4,500 - I blame Hendrix) I try and keep below 3,000 whenever poss
Old 18 March 2004, 07:23 PM
Rewolf
Scooby Regular

Jasoon

Chose April delivery to keep tax etc simple - current car is a company car, and I am getting out of Gordons greedy mitts. 1st is a good date given the way car tax (disk) works; you have to pay for full months.

I could have the car on Monday otherwise.

Old 18 March 2004, 08:02 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I'd definitely give it the odd post 4k blip every now and then. the hard bit is once you start doing it you might not be able to stop.

but the idea that your car is magically able to take a pasting at 1000 miles is a little strange to me. ( i know there are people on here who recommend not going above 5k revs for the first 10,000 miles!! but thats overkill)

dont forget its all about being sensible and breaking it in gently, so the odd foray towards the redline wont do it any harm and will start to loosen up the engine quicker.

make sure you give it plenty of variation during the first 1000 miles (not just motorway) and give the (horribly tight gearbox) a good work out, change gear as often as you can.

just remember these engines take a notoriously long time to 'bed in'. mine's only just starting to loosen up after 6k miles.

enjoy.

frenchie.