Sponsored by:

Mesh and FMICs

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 11:04 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mesh and FMICs

I have an APS FMIC on my car, and I reckon I ought to put some protective mesh in front of it. I guess that best way of applying it would be to remove the front bumper (?).

Where's a good source of appropriate mesh? I'd like something that's fine enough to catch most of the stones, wide enough to pass sufficient air, hard enough to withstand impacts by stones and also soft enough to manipulate whilst fitting to the FMIC. So, who's found this elusive 'perfect' mesh?

How did you fit it? Did you wrap it round the front of the core, or did you span the hole/gap in the bumper?
Old 10 March 2004, 10:06 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Old 11 March 2004, 01:01 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an APS FMIC on for two years nearly and it has been strong enough to withstand all flying debris damage so far.
Old 11 March 2004, 01:19 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I haven't got an FMIC but I've got mesh on the front - I went for 16swg stainless steel woven mesh that's about 10mm gap size to the weave - should stop most things and I'd gone through all the calcs about airflow and came up with this size as having the least cross sectional area so should let more air pass through...

I fitted it into the top and bottom grille positions - in the top to replace the lax power expamet supplied with the wrc grille and in the bottom opening to protect the rads etc

unless you get a mesh that's welded at each "crossing" (like aviary mesh) then you'll need some u-shape channel around the edge to stop it potentially fraying / falling apart.

I left mine "natural" colour as I didn't fancy having to remove / respray it to cover up any of the inevitable stone chips , plus it won't go rusty under normal conditions

HTH

Apple
Old 11 March 2004, 07:38 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

nice work Apple
Old 11 March 2004, 09:44 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Fatman,

See here:

i have an APS FMIC also. contact Scoobyclinic - Kev will advise on the job. Basically its a bumper off job. i supplied the Halfords diamond shapped motorsport mesh @ 17.99 a pack. i didn't fit it, but it seems flexible enough to cut/bend/shape as you require (while being pretty strong) and it looks cool IMO.

as for air flow, i don't forsee it being a problem - and the gaps are about 9/10mm horizontally and 7/8mm vertically.

Kev

Last edited by K9VYN; 11 March 2004 at 09:51 AM. Reason: coz i was being lazy
Old 11 March 2004, 08:33 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kev - that looks just the job. Did you paint the mesh? Where are Scoobyclinic?

Harvey: yes I understand that the APS is reputed to have harder than average fins. However, I've started to see a few bent fins after only three or four months of having the FMIC fitted. Does your APS not suffer bent fins?

Trending Topics

Old 12 March 2004, 06:16 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fatman
Thanks Kev - that looks just the job. Did you paint the mesh? Where are Scoobyclinic?
Fatman,

i haven't painted or laquered the mesh, though i don't suppose it'd be a bad idea. i have used it before on my MY95 front end and it holds up well to weathering as longs as you clean it regularly enough.

what you see on my car is exactly how it comes out of the packet (in terms of the finish). Scoobyclinic are in Chesterfiled, north west of Nottingham off M1 JCT 29. not sure where you're from, but certainly worth a visit if not too far as the service is fantastic. and the quality of work, well you can see that for yourself.

Kev
Old 12 March 2004, 09:32 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

I found my mesh on ebay!
Old 12 March 2004, 05:58 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Kev, I'm in Hampshire so that's a bit of a trek just to get some mesh fitted. The reason I asked about painting was that I'm after a 'stealth' look. I would paint the mesh black prior to fitting. I might head down to Halfrauds and have a look. Cheers!
Old 13 March 2004, 05:07 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
Talking

Ive got the aps as well. my new bumper is arriving soon to replace the one i feked when hitting a stop sign, hee hee. what would be the best way to mount the mesh onto the backside of the bumper. i thought about gluing some sort of blocks there so i could use srews and washers to secure grill. bear in mind i use the autobahn a lot at v high speed.
Cheers 4 any help peeps.
Old 13 March 2004, 05:13 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Bent fins are fine, its the bars that you want to worry about!! APS are strong enough not have any mesh! One of my bars took a direct hit from a rather large stone/rock and all it did was dent it a bit
Old 13 March 2004, 05:25 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Hi Fatman: In 30,000 odd miles and two years there are no seriously bent fins and all I have done is an occassional mist over with matt black to make it a uniform black all over.