Hello from South Africa.???????

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2004, 04:40 PM
ALIEN WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from South Africa.???????

Hi Guys,
First post for me, I have been a guest only fo rthe last couple of months. Here in South Africa I drive a 2000 model Impreza Turbo ( Classic shape ). The vehicle has now done 130 000km and the only mods is a VF35, Unichip and 76mm Exhaust. The car has now started an annoying sound at about 3000rpm, sounds like it is from the front of the motor, battery side. The Subaru dealer sya that the heads may need to be shimmed, as that is where the noise comes from - advice please.

2nd thing by fitting the Forester 2,5 Turbo motor with the VF35 would it be a safe and worthwile mod doing?.
Old 08 March 2004, 06:22 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALIEN WRX
Hi Guys,
First post for me, I have been a guest only fo rthe last couple of months. Here in South Africa I drive a 2000 model Impreza Turbo ( Classic shape ). The vehicle has now done 130 000km and the only mods is a VF35, Unichip and 76mm Exhaust. The car has now started an annoying sound at about 3000rpm, sounds like it is from the front of the motor, battery side. The Subaru dealer sya that the heads may need to be shimmed, as that is where the noise comes from - advice please.

2nd thing by fitting the Forester 2,5 Turbo motor with the VF35 would it be a safe and worthwile mod doing?.
Howsit? Can't answer your question but maybe you can answer one for me. Given the roads over there, I would have thought that Scoobs would be more popular but in 5000kms of driving (mainly between Durban and Jo'burg) I only saw one.

What's with that?
Old 09 March 2004, 05:33 AM
ALIEN WRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Howsit? Can't answer your question but maybe you can answer one for me. Given the roads over there, I would have thought that Scoobs would be more popular but in 5000kms of driving (mainly between Durban and Jo'burg) I only saw one.

What's with that?

Not that many Scoobies here yet, although our Club is about 100 strong, mainly seen in and around Johannesburg, few in Durban and Cape town, and very much a cult car. Known to slay M3's and M5'S and a lot of other things.
Old 09 March 2004, 06:51 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is it safe to venture out over there, you hear so many horror stories .....

By the way welcome to the Forum.

STEVE...........
Old 09 March 2004, 09:26 AM
MarvSTi5
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You go into defensive driving mode out there -
don't stop at traffic lights (or robots as they call them) - slow down as you approach and hope they're on green before you get there!!
If you do have to stop in traffic leave a wide enough gap between you and the car in front to get out!!
Doors locked and carry a shooter !!
I enjoyed it !!
Old 09 March 2004, 09:59 AM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarvSTi5
don't stop at traffic lights (or robots as they call them) - slow down as you approach and hope they're on green before you get there!!
If you do have to stop in traffic leave a wide enough gap between you and the car in front to get out!!
I enjoyed it !!
I'd say it's more than safe and whilst you should be cautious, some of the stories you read in the **** Blue Rinse Brigade's favourite tome aka The Snail are widely exagerated.

There are some fantastic roads over there, particularly around Nelpsruit and although they do have regular speed checks they are not as vicious as over here. We had some great fun flying and driving round albeit in a BMW estate which took the edge of it a little and I was gagging for the Scoob particularly when many of the roads are on smooth gravel - dying to do my Petter impressions. On second thoughts, given my ability behind the wheel it's more of a blessing that I didn't have the Scoob.
Old 09 March 2004, 10:22 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarvSTi5
I enjoyed it !!
A bit like Belfast then only were not supposed to carry a shooter!
Old 09 March 2004, 04:00 PM
ALIEN WRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by barrybudden
A bit like Belfast then only were not supposed to carry a shooter!
I think many Countries are not the way you see them in the news, yes we have a slight crime problem here, mainly because a lot of our cops are as corrupt as the guys in goverment, thats why most South Africans now stay in Perth. Roads are great in certain places, weather is fantastic, people are party animals. Problems arise however when you srive a Scooby, everyone is an expert until they have to work on your car then you pay with a blown engine. Fastest 1/4 mile Scooby does a 12,6, I can only manage a 13,8 on 0,9 bar boost. You guys and the Aussies are way ahead. Our parts to import are also very expensive, thanks to our currency.

We however enjoy this little country of ours, it may come right someday, I mean if a girl from a small town like Benoni can win an Oscar ( bragging rights??) I think we have a chance.