Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I KNOW IM THICK BUT !!! HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 06:36 PM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I KNOW IM THICK BUT !!! HELP !!!

New to the Scooby World !! ive allways been i RS man but all i can say is THANK GOD for the Subrau Impreza Its the best car i have ever bought !

I need some help i have a 1995 uk turbo standard ? i know before you say !! I would love to make it that bit quicker ! It has a dump valve and a sports exhaust (wrsport) i think all the way through ? but not sure ?

At the moment i only have a budget of £500 as girlfriend has spent the rest (bribe for letting me have a scooby !)

I have been told my car has 208 bhp ????

I have also been told that getting it chipped is near on impossible as it is the old model ?

Where do i start ? and where is the best place to go ? i live in Birmingham (Again ! I know !!)

Ohh and what is PPP ? i have seen it so much on here ...lol

Thanks

PJ
Old 07 March 2004, 06:41 PM
Chokup
Scooby Regular

Prodrive Performance Pack
Old 07 March 2004, 06:43 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

your car is certainly not to old to be chipped but it is to old to have ppp( prodrive perfomance package) this the only engine upgrade that will not invalidate your warranty
many companies can offer this or better for your car in a differant form

but sadly in the world of scoobies 500 quid dont go far
maybe a decatted exhaust would be a good start if its not got one

i dont get the dumpvalve thing if i wanted to play a tune would have bought a trumpet

Last edited by wakeboardar; 07 March 2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:48 PM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Thx lads ! i Think im going to have to save up a bit more yet arnt i ?
Old 07 March 2004, 06:49 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

If I were you I'd keep that £500 in my pocket for a good couple of months. Why so desperate to make it quicker, are you going to enter some races in it or something?

If you've just bought the car you may find over the next few weeks that there are things that need doing to it from a general wellbeing and maintenance point of view.
If there are things that need doing (you need to find out when the timing belt was last replaced, and get a new one fitted if in any doubt for example), you're much better off spending the money on those than wasting it on "go faster" bits.

Also don't forget that anything you fit that involves a power increase will also hike your insurance policy somewhat, so again you've got to budget for that .

If/when you do want to up the power output a bit, most of the backstreet modders are worth avoiding like the plague. It certainly is possible to remap the stock ECU, the best route would be a ScoobyECU - have a look round for other posts concerning these.

The PPP is the "Prodrive Performance Pack" - the official performance upgrade kit for UK market cars.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:50 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

Default Welcome to scooby ownership

your car will be 208 bhp in standard form

the dump valve will do nothing powerwise, just sound pants IMHO. You may get an increase in performance with the backbox - but more importantly it will sound better.

PPP = Prodrive Performance Pack and for just shy of £2k you get a prodrive ECU, Some different cooling hoses and i think a decated centre section. PPP should give a 20% increase in power so about 20-40bhp.

For your £500 you could easily get more than that and have some change

Full decat = Decated Downpipe from as little at £200 new, Decated centre section from £90 new (Decat will enhance the flat four sound and is the most notciable performance modification)

Induction kit or replacement panel filter - ie K&N or ITG - from £40 (ITG) -70 (K&N) new
Dawes device (manual boost controller) - £35 new (advisable to get boost gauge to go with this)

Keep yer eye on the for sale forum, theres some bargains to be had in there, if in doubt just ask - very friendly BBS and lots of advice here

I had an MY98 UK scoob (208 bhp std) with full decat, Blitz induction and a dawes and i got 260 Bhp on the rollers.

Oh, one more - May be sucking eggs, but let yer insurance company know what your doing to it.

HTH

chris

edited - all them posts above in the time to write this, typical

anyway, sound advice from greasemonkey (as ever )- enjoy it as it is for a bit

Last edited by CHRIS_D; 07 March 2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:57 PM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Cheers greasemonkey " i know your right" but i still have a bit of boy racer in me i suppose, i will try to be sensible.

Im sure i may get some things that will go wrong so i am going to save for a bit. just for info the cambelt was done 15000 miles ago, i spoke to the subaru dealer who done it just to be sure and they sent me the reciept (which i thought was fantasic) dealers usually fob you off !!! They were the supplying dealer and serviced the car from new as it only had one owner in its 50,000 miles.

Thanks again M8
Old 07 March 2004, 07:00 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi PJ

I have a 96 UK Turbo which was chipped when i brought it, five years ago.

NO PROBS !!!!

It cost about £450 then. So you will have to shop around.

Red.
Old 07 March 2004, 07:47 PM
Col
Scooby Regular

Just got my 96 uk turbo sorted,full de-cat(downpipe,centre section),k+n induction,Dawes device,HKS fuel cut defender,magnex back box,had the car over a year but have to get used to it all over again these mods transform it!
Petrol consumption is very scary though!
Colin.
Old 07 March 2004, 07:57 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

If you can get a new a PPP for an MY95 you will be doing well.

Get use to it first and then play. Taken me 3 years to get mine exactly right and I think it maybe time for a remap.
Old 07 March 2004, 07:59 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
If you can get a new a PPP for an MY95 you will be doing well.

Get use to it first and then play. Taken me 3 years to get mine exactly right and I think it maybe time for a remap.

if he gets ppp for a my95 hes a magician