ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Go faster, faster advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 06:20 PM
OCD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go faster, faster advice please

I have got an my04sti that's been ppp'd and sits on prodrive springs with 18" wheels.

The performance is great, but I would like to know how I can achieve even better acceleration through the gears (not bothered about off the line performance). A nastier sound would be good too but not important.

I'm not bothered about the warranty.

Any ideas guys?
Old 07 March 2004, 06:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Take the dumpvalve off.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:45 PM
OCD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Take the dumpvalve off.

Thanks for the advice mate- but what will that achieve? I am an techno thicky, sorry.
Old 07 March 2004, 06:56 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It'll give you better throttle response on a quick lift/reapplication, thus satisfying your requirement for better performance through the gears, while also making the turbo chirp like a WRC car's on lift-off, thus satisfying your requirement for a more interesting noise.

The downside is that running without a dumpvalve will reduce the operating lifespan of your turbo, and you'll find the bill for a new one when it does go will be sizeable.

To be honest I question the wisdom of your comment about disregarding the warranty. There seems to be little point shelling out the extra on a PPP if you're going to risk all that (and an expensive repair bill if it all goes wrong) by further third-party modification.

If you've got an MY04 car, you've only had it a few weeks and the engine'll still be tight. Suggest you leave it a couple of months to open up before you really decide you need "more".
Old 07 March 2004, 07:04 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey wrote

>>If you've got an MY04 car, you've only had it a few weeks and the engine'll still be tight. Suggest you leave it a couple of months to open up before you really decide you need "more".<<

I'll back that up my WRX PPP has only really loosened up in the last 2,000 miles or so and it's at 8,000 now. If you'd have driven it at 3,000 miles and then again at 8,000 it's almost like two different cars. It now pulls far harder throughout the rev range.
Old 07 March 2004, 07:06 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Before someone chips in, yes, some of that extra 'pull' will be due to the colder air around generally in the past few months...
Old 07 March 2004, 07:20 PM
OCD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice guys- good as usual- I am impatient and realsie that I will have to pile on a few more miles yet before I start fiddling- 500 only so far.

In hindsight, I wish I had not gone for the PPP as, in my opinion, I think the money could have been better spent on other mods- but then I suppose that's the price of keeping the warranty (and I am not that bothered about the warranty)
Old 07 March 2004, 07:35 PM
OCD
Scooby Regular

And as a follow up, I live in East Sussex (near Hastings)- what's the best garage for performance upgrades and advice in my area.

Your guidance is appreciated guys.....
Old 07 March 2004, 07:41 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Wink

OCD, I wasn't too fussed about the warranty and struggled to justify PPP.

.... at 4,000 miles my gearbox went, It didn't take me long to reconsider my views on warranties.... enough said...
Old 07 March 2004, 10:42 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

i've done 22k in 8 months and it now feels seriously quick... 4 a PPP anyhow!

But a big difference has been shedding some Kg's from the cars weight... Its 85kgs lighter than when I got it.... hehehe...

Not telling!
Old 07 March 2004, 11:11 PM
Rammy2
Scooby Newbie

Talking

But a big difference has been shedding some Kg's from the cars weight... Its 85kgs lighter than when I got it.... hehehe...

Not telling! [/QUOTE]

Is that u or the car that's 85K lighter Daz

Rammy
Old 08 March 2004, 10:49 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Maybe he dumped his fat girlfriend?
Old 08 March 2004, 10:52 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LMFAO
Old 08 March 2004, 10:54 AM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

OCD - If you want a quick, easy bolt-on to improve general response and increase torque - go for equal length headers.
Old 08 March 2004, 10:58 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Steady on MrShades. In many cases, simply bolting on a set of equal length headers will lose torque and response, not gain it. These are best applied after other mods, need to be chosen carefully, and need a remap to get the best out of them.
Old 08 March 2004, 12:10 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Yes, agreed. You need the rest of the package to go with the headers - though as you already have a 'reasonably' good exhaust, you should be OK there........ it would certainly require a remap though, but not sure how the PPP/Ecutek license fee works out with respect to that (is PPP treated as an Ecutek licensed ECU or not, and hence can / cannot be 'tweaked' with limited expense)...

Why oh why didn't you just go the decent exhaust / custom Ecutek route in the first place, if you're not worried about warranty???? But you've obviously realised that now, and have the self-inflicted bruises to prove it
Old 08 March 2004, 12:16 PM
OCD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrShades
Yes, agreed. You need the rest of the package to go with the headers - though as you already have a 'reasonably' good exhaust, you should be OK there........ it would certainly require a remap though, but not sure how the PPP/Ecutek license fee works out with respect to that (is PPP treated as an Ecutek licensed ECU or not, and hence can / cannot be 'tweaked' with limited expense)...

Why oh why didn't you just go the decent exhaust / custom Ecutek route in the first place, if you're not worried about warranty???? But you've obviously realised that now, and have the self-inflicted bruises to prove it

Not sure about the bruises, but my wallet is lighter than it could/ should have been. I do learn by my mistakes though.
Old 08 March 2004, 12:24 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Just to ask a somewhat leading question - Don't the new cars need some run in time ?

My 98 had 42000 on the clock when I bought it, so no probs for me, but I've always run in my new cars for 1000 miles ?

Mark
Old 08 March 2004, 02:09 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Take it easy until you're over the 1,000 mile service interval and they replace the "thin" oil with something more regular .....
Then start hammering it around.

I have driven 2 STi's in my quest for a new one - both PPP'd.
First one was a 53 plate with 3,800 miles - and tight as ....
Second one was an 03 with 10,500 on the clock (and had had 10K service) - and this just flew (very free reving)!

Having talked to quite a few STi owners you still have quite a few miles to go before it gets really fast - so bide your time and watch the oil consumption!
Old 08 March 2004, 02:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yes Mark, I did mention that further up, but not in my wildest dreams did I realise that we were talking about a car with only 500 miles on it. OCD - silly question maybe, but why on earth are you talking about further tweaks to a car that you, theoretically at least, shouldn't be even trying to drive quick at this stage, let alone know enough about the car to decide it needs more go???

If you want a quick, easy bolt-on to improve general response and increase torque - go for equal length headers.
...it would certainly require a remap though
Eh? Don't you think you've contradicted yourself there a little? You can't really claim headers as a "simple bolt-on improvement" and with your next post admit that a remap is necessary to get the most out of them.

The license is closed on a PPP ECU, BTW, you (or OCD)'d need to pay the full price for a third party TeK.
Old 08 March 2004, 02:13 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Have you considered professional driving tuition? IMHO the best mod you can ever buy. It's amazing how much quicker you can be with the right teacher.
Old 08 March 2004, 02:51 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Hmm - OCD - Not trying to be funny here, but I think that you should ease up until the run in period is over - Treat your new motor with some respect and it'll look after you - treat it 'with a stick' and I'm sure it'll bite ya !

Did the dealer not say anything about lower red-line and gentle throttle when you bought it ?

Mark
Old 08 March 2004, 06:20 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

OCD, I endorse everything that's been said. In my experience (3 Imprezas) they aren't really loosened up until 8000 miles. I think Bob Rawle is your nearest "tuner" and he seems to be well thought of. Others may confirm.....

Just consider carefully, tho'. Unless you're going to be a trackday artist, or modding 'cos that's what fascinates you, could you really use the fractions of extra acceleration in ordinary everyday road use........? Meanwhile, you do have a warranty

Phil Harrison
Old 08 March 2004, 08:49 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

NOS I need NOS
Old 08 March 2004, 08:55 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Dazza....

85kg lighter.

What you done, kicked out the wife?

But that would only lose you about 12Kg. Hmmm.

Were you 6' 4" and 20 stone before the Atkins diet? Didn't knoe it worked THAT well.
Old 08 March 2004, 10:40 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Eh? Don't you think you've contradicted yourself there a little? You can't really claim headers as a "simple bolt-on improvement" and with your next post admit that a remap is necessary to get the most out of them.
<Yawn>Being pedantic again GM? As far as getting spanners out and changing physical components of OCD's power unit, the 'simple' bolt on of headers is considerably easier than many other mods - Unless you'd suggest that an FMIC, porting or larger turbo is still relatively simple? Thought not....

To get the BEST out of any mod, even a free flowing air-filter, a custom remap is required. The headers would probably give gains without, but to get the most from them a remap would be advised....

Now - any more to say, even when I'm agreeing with you???? Thank god he doesn't own an "STi8"
Old 08 March 2004, 11:32 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

sti10 i presume ????
Old 08 March 2004, 11:50 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Not attempting to be pedantic 'Shades, pointing out that headers often don't provide a power/torque/response boost. If you look around here you'll find many examples where simply changing to aftermarket headers actually causes a reduction until the car is remapped. Even then, if the bore isn't suited to the turbo, there's not always a gain.

And yes, nice to see he doesn't own an STi8. Looks like all my hard work is paying off!

Last edited by greasemonkey; 08 March 2004 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08 March 2004, 11:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
OCD, I endorse everything that's been said. In my experience (3 Imprezas) they aren't really loosened up until 8000 miles. I think Bob Rawle is your nearest "tuner" and he seems to be well thought of. Others may confirm.....
Agreed. Mind you, if OCD phoned Bob tomorrow, I imagine his response would be to "Phone back in 7500 miles", or something pretty similar.

Just consider carefully, tho'. Unless you're going to be a trackday artist, or modding 'cos that's what fascinates you, could you really use the fractions of extra acceleration in ordinary everyday road use........? Meanwhile, you do have a warranty
Indeedy. Definitely one of those "Proceed in haste, repent at leisure" deals. Why buy a UK car in the first place if you don't care about the warranty?