ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Almost decided... STI or WRX final questions

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2004, 06:46 PM
walton99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost decided... STI or WRX final questions

After a few agonising weeks, I've almost made up my mind to go for the STI over the 4 or 5dr WRX. As delivery is 5-6weeks I need to order ASAP - If anyone can help me out with the last few nagging doubts, I'd be very grateful. BTW whichever model I choose there'll be PPP

1) How do the residuals compare between the models, or is it more or less the same. i.e. will an STI devalue quicker or slower? What about the 5door?

2) Just how bearable is the STI on bumpy roads - is tramlining a big problem? My current M3 is just about bearable with 18" 255 rears / 225 fronts. I've read that the STI can be a little nervous.

3) How does grip compare between STI & WRX - Surely the more suppley suspended WRX has greater grip out of corners than the very firm STI (especially on non smooth surfaces)?

4) Apart from a few hundred quid more for insurance, and a couple of MPG less, are STI maintainance costs equal to WRX?

I've test driven all models, but not the STI on very very bumpy stuff.

Many thanks

Richard
Old 05 March 2004, 07:04 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

All i can say is, if you can afford the STi go for that!
Old 05 March 2004, 07:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If your worried about residuals or maintenance costs then dont buy a scoob in the first place....... they are great reliable cars but they are a long way from being cheap to run.....I get 200 miles from a tank of Optimax if im lucky.

As for tram lining i dont notice it to be honest in my STi, but the ride is pretty hard.

At the end of the day if you buy a wrx 6 months later you will be part exchaging it on an STi and that doesnt make economic sense.. so go buy the STi, drive it, enjoy it and dont worry about how much your spending on fuel etc. You only life once
Old 05 March 2004, 08:00 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Talking

here here

I'm brassic but happy

Steve
http://www.nevetas.com
MY02 STi
Old 05 March 2004, 08:13 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Think if I were doing it again I'd go for the STi - currently have WRX PPP. However, now that the new shapes have been around for almost a year I'd plump for a nearly new STi and save myself thousands given that the 1st year depreciation seems pretty high.
Old 05 March 2004, 08:18 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I test drove the wrx also before i ordered my MY04 sti & to be honest i have only done 500 miles in it & i love it (had a focus RS previously), going to wait till june for the PPP as there is rumours that it "could" be up'd to 320 PS !!
buy the sti apart from slightly high fuel cost (on optimax) getting roughly 240 miles to a tank its well worth it

sti-04!!
Old 05 March 2004, 10:15 PM
PC555
Scooby Regular

IMHO its a no brainer ... as has previously been said, if you can afford the STi (PPP is a must)... go for it.

Bought my 03 STi in January... everyday is like Christmas morning

Out of the box I did find the understeer pretty bad ... soon sorted it though with the addition of Prodrive springs, Front strut brace, Rear ARB with solid drop links and Geomerty ... sticks to the road like s*it to a blanket now.
Old 05 March 2004, 10:51 PM
Scooby Lee
Scooby Regular

Why don't you just order a WR1??

..................but be quick...........!!
Old 06 March 2004, 12:13 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

I travel 130 miles a day from Nottingham to Boston and back in an sti v7. I love every minute of it. The ride isn't too harsh at all.

Go for the sti every time
Old 06 March 2004, 02:28 AM
walton99
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info everyone.

If I can get the full price the dealer has given me over the phone for my M3 tomorrow, I'll order the STI. If he offers lower by a few grand (hasn't seen car yet, but in v. good condition so fingers crossed), I'll order a WRX.

BTW I've driven a 5dr with PPP & a standard 4dr. Am I right in thinking there would be negligable difference between 4 & 5dr in regards to performance, handling & insurance? - Quite like the stealth factor if the STI isn't on.

Very interesting about the 320bhp PPP - I'll be taking the PPP'd car in for a remap on the RR anyway, so I can't see how a 320bhp PPP would offer any extra power? COrrect me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Richard
Old 06 March 2004, 05:30 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Trouble is with scoobys is that once you get bitten with the bug you want more + more speed its uncanny...
With a WRX only you can be limited as far as pushing the engine before changing the internals about but not so on an STi as its uprated in the engine department.
STi for sure and from the sounds of your posting an STi is what you will get so good on ya!
Old 06 March 2004, 09:05 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by walton99

Very interesting about the 320bhp PPP - I'll be taking the PPP'd car in for a remap on the RR anyway, so I can't see how a 320bhp PPP would offer any extra power? COrrect me if I'm wrong.
Dont mistake the 320ps with 320bhp, it equates to 315bhp and the only car we know its going on is the WR1, there are no plans (AFAIK) for this pack to go onto the standard STi MY04.

Tony
Old 06 March 2004, 07:19 PM
PaulSTi
Scooby Newbie

I've had my MY03 STi PPP for a week now, so I've only done a few miles in it. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the ride. I thought it would be crashy and uncompromising. Not a bit of it. Mine has the Prodrive lowered spring kit too.

It also goes rather well too.

Paul