Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby> M3> Scooby - STI/WRX advice???

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 09:42 PM
walton99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby> M3> Scooby - STI/WRX advice???

Hi eveyone.

I traded in my MY99 TEK2 for a 02 BMW M3 6mnts ago. Anyway, I'm selling it to move back to the Scooby fold. Whilst the M3 was certainly good fun, and a fair bit quicker than my Scooby above 100, I really miss 4WD traction & turbo. The M3 isn't the image I like either, and running costs are huge (try £550 for a pair of rear tyres, and 30% more insurance than an STI).

Anyway, I've been doing my head in about which Scooby to get. Shortlist is:

Nearly new 03 STI (Dealer has one with 2k @ £22500)
Nearly new 03 WRX
10k miler 02 STI @ £17000

I'll definately be going to PowerStation in Cheltenham for an EcuTek + Exhaust almost immediately (£2000). If I go for the WRX I'll also be going for some coilovers (£1000 fitted, which I've been assured are excellent on road ).

Money is OK for any of the above, but I'd like to spend less if it makes sense.

Girlfriend will be using car for daily drive (about 10miles). She obviously prefers the softer WRX, but will let me get the STI. Probably no trackdays, just fast (bumpy) road use. We also have access to a Mini for longer journeys etc.

Suppose all of this boils down to:

1) In real world how will a WRX with coilovers & EcuTek compare to STI with EcuTek?
2) How will 02 STI compare to 03 STI?
3) Will an STI be liveable for short daily comute on bumpy roads?

The much better looks of the 03 STI have a big swing over the decision.

Finally, whichever car I choose, is it worth getting a PPP and then an EcuTek remap. I'm just thinking that my dealer will know the chip's been remapped (from test drive) when the car is serviced unless he knows there's a PPP on the car = possible void warranty. I'll also get some residual value off the PPP maybe?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post, and even more thanks if you reply.

Richard
Old 02 March 2004, 10:02 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well if your going to be spending this much....

Originally Posted by walton99
Nearly new 03 STI (Dealer has one with 2k @ £22500)

I'll definately be going to PowerStation in Cheltenham for an EcuTek + Exhaust almost immediately (£2000). Suppose all of this boils down to:

I've read what you've said and if you can squeeze a bit extra (sell the mini !!! ) then you have gotta look at the Impreza 25 Litchfield have produced, 2.5l twin scroll turbo with 350 bhp.... not to be sneezed at..

my ten pence worth

http://www.type-25.com

Autocar review

http://www.type-25.com/images/large/autocar3.jpg
Paul.

Last edited by bits'n'pieces; 02 March 2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02 March 2004, 10:37 PM
walton99
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Paul.

Unfortunately I don't really want to pay any more (I've going to upgrade my bike as well). The Mini isn't mine, but a company car I have the use of.

Richard
Old 03 March 2004, 08:24 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

or if you are planning to spend money on an non-approved upgrade, then maybe you are better off saving money and getting a slightly older STi, as you'll be waving bye bye to the warranty anyway.

Or if looks are an issue, maybe a WRX and get a body kit for it. Probably no more than £1k?

Funny about the mini for long journeys. My WRX is lovely. Can't imagine the STi is that much worse that you wouldn't use it for a long drive!?
Old 03 March 2004, 09:46 AM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

Talking

Richard - I do about 20-25K miles per yr in a MY03 STI/PPP - no problem at all. I've also go 2 young kids, and they don't seem to mind too much either - usually go off to sleep in 5-10 mins, so can't be that bad eh!

Gubbins.
Old 03 March 2004, 11:15 PM
walton99
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for feedback.

I will be using the Mini for longer drives i.e. Motorway, as I find the Impreza (based on my MY99 Tek2) very tiring to drive for say more than an hour - Road/ engine noise. Also fuel consumption is a factor for longer distances - My MY99 used to do 20mpg even at 80 on the motorway!

With regard to insurance, I correct my earlier post saying the M3 was 30% more than an STI. Initial quotes suggest STI about 10% cheaper. PPP though makes it about 50% more!!!!

Need to explore insurance further - Subaru Insured good, but require a garage & over 28yrs Currently 27ys, 4yrs NCB, parked on driveway in rural Warwickwhire. Standard STI coming in at about £1100 including communting & girlfriend, protected NCB. PPP boots it up to around £1600 with Tesco / Elephant though. Liverpool Victoria have also moved to minimum 30yrs. Any other recommendations? OK for time being (renewal in October when I'll be 28 with 5yrs NCB.).
Old 04 March 2004, 10:41 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

get a p1 or 22b if you can