Sponsored by:

new STI Type R owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 09:44 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool new STI Type R owner :)

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of an STi Type R version 4. Well I will be in April Just wondering who else here has a Type R? Any friendly advice on known problems and how to keep them maintained to a high standard would be great. Also, will she be ok running around on Optimax for everyday use or will I need to use octaine booster aswell?? Cheers guys
Old 17 February 2004, 10:43 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Welcome to the board mate.
Make sure you keep up with the service intervals and a few extra oil changes in between. Make sure you run it on optimax and octane booster, you can get some Millers (OB) around £3.00 a bottle, which will cover a tankful. It would also be a good idea to get a Knock link aswell, just to make sure your not getting any Det(pinking).

Most of all enjoy, its a cracking motor.

simb
Old 18 February 2004, 12:02 AM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Cool

welcome to TYPE R VILLE mate!

(when you actually get your hands on it!)

great car and well understated,, you will love the gear change and tweaking up the diff lock to gain that xtra traction. knocklink is a must IMHO as it was the first mod on mine and showed up the detting. don't skrimp on it,, make sure you add booster in EVERY TANKFULL!

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 18 February 2004, 03:58 PM
MISS SCOOBY STI
Scooby Regular

Congratulations!
I've got an STI Type R v4 too! r u counting down the days til ownership?! what colour by the way?
Old 18 February 2004, 05:09 PM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

Me too!

Loving every minute!

Gonna have to get to tweeks myself and pick up some booster, i've ran out!!!!! At least I have got my Apexi monitoring the Det!

Andy
Old 18 February 2004, 07:44 PM
Sonic Blue Type R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good choice, the type R's are top

You can have some serious fun with the DCCD, be careful in the wet if you have it set in the 1st position '1st green light'. Cos if you put the power down while turning, mega overstear, good fun though!!
Old 18 February 2004, 08:04 PM
TYP 3R
Scooby Regular

Talking type r

hi grant i also have a version 4 type r in silver. insurance was quite bad even as im 27 but dont let it put you off, the car is fantastic. be careful if you drive it in the wet as you will probably know it doesnt and cannot have abs

ENJOY!!
Old 18 February 2004, 08:06 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

welcome !
Old 18 February 2004, 09:20 PM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Shes a 3 door in sonic blue with light weight speed lines in gold fitted, I'll post some pics up latter.

I thought they had a knocksensor in them already from the factory. SO it's octane booster with EVERY tank! Even for just light town use, i.e. getting to work and back?
Old 18 February 2004, 09:52 PM
BlackR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrantyBoy
Cheers guys. Shes a 3 door in sonic blue with light weight speed lines in gold fitted, I'll post some pics up latter.

I thought they had a knocksensor in them already from the factory. SO it's octane booster with EVERY tank! Even for just light town use, i.e. getting to work and back?
I ran mine for 2 years without octane booster, then one night after hitting the rev limiter in 5th (it gets there very easily) the engine destroyed itself - bearings shot and 2 of the pistons had come in contact with the bores. This cost me £3000 to put right (new short-motor and 1 cylinder head). Since then I have fitted a knocklink and was shocked to see that it lights up as soon as the revs exceed about 6.5k, so at the moment I'm taking it easy while I wait for my Tek3 remap.

Yes, I was using Optimax but no octane booster.

So, the advice is - definitely get a knocklink. If you're just driving to work and back and take it easy (keep the revs low) you will be ok without octane booster, otherwise it's a good idea to use it. Can you trust yourself not to put your foot down occasionally?

Any mods you do to the car (air filter/exhaust) WILL increase the tendicy for knock - the engine is already on the limit with UK fuel and any mods will push it further over the limit.

The Type R is probably one of the quickest cars you will ever own. Treat it with respect!

- Chris
Old 18 February 2004, 10:02 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

welcome matey i see your another lucky bugger who has one of the finest cars ever!!!!!