Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do you get pulled for your number plates?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 08:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation do you get pulled for your number plates?

hi all just a question...

my number plate is j4mo u

in fancy writing, just wondered if you get pulled as often as i do?

its not legal, but ive been puled 12 times within 5 months!!!

edited to say: twice in one day last week!!!

jamo

Last edited by Jamo; 16 February 2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 16 February 2004, 11:17 PM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of interest, why don't you get it fixed to the legal requirement? and what do the police say each time they stop you?
Old 17 February 2004, 12:27 AM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

If you fail to comply with the Old Bill they now have the power to confiscate your plate
Old 17 February 2004, 12:30 AM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

If you've been stopped 12 times, have you ever been fined, it's £30 every time I think?

simb
Old 17 February 2004, 12:35 AM
AlanS
Scooby Regular

you can't say you haven't been warned!
Old 17 February 2004, 08:02 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Angry

I can never understand why people buy number plates and then move the numbers and letters around to try and make it spell something it isn't If you continue to do this I believe they can confiscate the number plate, so get it sorted.
Old 17 February 2004, 08:31 AM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

The best number plate mod you can make is to keep it looking standard but to jumble or mix a letter or number up.........
Old 17 February 2004, 09:15 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

As per my prev post i got pulled two weeks ago, basically the plod didn't like the font on the numbers and lettering. It was a slightly classic font not some italic scrip thing. Got a 14 day defect notice.
Was advised if you get pulled and reported 3 times they can remove your reg and make you re-apply to DVLA for another one (and the costs involved !!) SO if you have something nice be careful.
Old 17 February 2004, 06:10 PM
DTH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Got pulled on sunday on m1,followed me for ages and only thing could pull me for was not having the correct space on my S600BY reg,was well pi55ed of,could understand if i had altered the 6 or styling of letters.
Good job spoted him anyway or would have been done for speeding.

DTH
Old 17 February 2004, 08:37 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Have never been pulled for having a small front plate yet.

But i would never consider any fancy writing on it...as thats just asking for trouble..
Old 17 February 2004, 09:54 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I was pulled for a small number plate. If they catch you with a private plate displayed wrongly three times, the DVLA will take it off you!

Steve
Old 17 February 2004, 10:36 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Red face

As far as I see it - anyone who mucks about with the spacing / font / size or puts oil on their reg plates should expect the defective notices and the costs etc to put it right.
Each and every purpatrator (sp?) is taking the p155 and should expect no different - its a gamble - and if like some you've spent a few hundred quid on a plate that only works with illegal spacing then I laugh in your general direction. Nothing funnier than seeing BIGNOB reverting to B16 *** or HILARY suddenly being the bland H14 ARY.
I have a private plate on my ikkle green scoob - but when choosin it thought better of trying to take the p155 and encourage stops by the plod.

Sorry folks - I'm not in a bad mood or owt - but folk should just use their 'eds.
Back off the soapbox and off to bed for me.....zzzzzzzz
Old 18 February 2004, 12:19 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

in answer yes ive had lots of fines!

and yes it has been mentioned that they can confiscate the plates, I decided to ignore that and it hasnt happened yet.

its not so much that if you get done 3 times you can have them confiscated, its more down to the officer on the day, well thats the general idea ive been given by the coppers who pulled me.

ie: if i see it like that next time ile have your plates, its never been the same one twice upto now. I dont think its that bad, in comparison to a lot of plates i see.. its just J4MO U its not in itals or owt, but ive seen allsorts of weird and wonderful things on plates! im getting some different plates that are not as full on as what they are at the minute.....
Old 18 February 2004, 12:20 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DTH
Got pulled on sunday on m1,followed me for ages and only thing could pull me for was not having the correct space on my S600BY reg,was well pi55ed of,could understand if i had altered the 6 or styling of letters.
Good job spoted him anyway or would have been done for speeding.

DTH
Ah so it was you my mate saw having a chat with the law. Got pulled for same thing myself - no gap between letters and numbers but perfectly legible

I think they're getting upset about the spacing because of the tax disc and SPECS cameras and the traffic monitoring cameras with auto plate recognition.

BTW - Nice plate

DTH see here http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/showthread.php?t=302595

Last edited by Gizmo555; 18 February 2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 18 February 2004, 01:03 AM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

last week!, my letters are correctly spaced, but are fatter than normal. just a warning to say get em changed or £30 fine next time.
Old 18 February 2004, 08:37 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

we all know the rules & therefore don't really have an excuse. BUT, as far as i'm concerned as long as your reg number is clearly readable from the distance specified in your driving test, i can't understand why its such an issue.

my reg letters are the correct height and spacing but ever so slightly italic - these are deemed to be show plates and not legal. the front one has been trimmed so the white spacing around the letters is at a minimum. there is no issue reading my plate from quite a distance away (as per my pending 3pts - if i lose that is).

so far, i have not been stopped for this. fortunately for me i have a plate on which the spacing really doesn't make a difference to (i.e. still looks like what i intend it to... a'la username). i think the key is to be subtle - most coppers aren't that bothered (certainly ones i know or have spoken to), but do something silly that they can't get you for and they may apply extra scrutiny and go after your non-standard plates.

Kevin
Old 18 February 2004, 09:20 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

All I will say on this one, is keep on as you have been doing and your car will look very fetching on its new 'Q' plate, that they replace confiscated numbers with. And once on, the car never gets a normal plate back.....
Old 18 February 2004, 09:25 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I've been driving around with a 12" X 4" front plate for nine months with no problems. However, i don't want to push my luck, so i have just got some 12" X 7" to keep in the boot. These are slightly smaller then the standard square import plates but the same size as those used by the American airforce servicemen around my neck of the woods...of which there are thousands of cars. So should be ok. IMO the 12" X 7" plate looks very nice on my classic which has a P1 front splitter.
Just to add that www.fancyplates.com offer a great service.

Last edited by pappasmurf; 18 February 2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 18 February 2004, 09:54 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

pappa that where i got my plates from that are the car now! lol