Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent Advide Needed - Just crashed me motor....

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2004, 01:20 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Urgent Advide Needed - Just crashed me motor....

Some woman went to pull out at the round about, pulled out half way and stopped mid roundabout!... I went straight in to the back of her! F**K!...

Anyway she got out and appologised as a car came round to fast and she didn't think she'd make it - but that doesn't matter because I went in to the back of her - so it's my fault anyway...

Her Toyota Yaris has a small amount of damage to the lower valance of her bumper, so she's going to get a quote and call me back with the cost... She had a daughter who was in the car who was crying at the time but soon calmed down and when I asked if she was ok, her mother said she was.

Anyway I've reported the crash to the police just in case.

Now for my car.... My front bumper is fine apart from it's cracked around the right headlight sprayer, it's a bit bent and a lot of paint has come off, the right side took most of the bash the headlight is pushed in front grill and the bonnet is bent.

I haven't got a clue what I should do now! Do I wait for her quote and pay out of my own pocket to avoid going through my insurance, thing is, I think it's going to be an expensive repair for my car. Should I just go through my insurance and get my car fixed and hers together. I have protected no claims. I don't think I can afford to get both of our cars fixed out of my own pocket - I reckon there's about £500 worth of damage to my car, and she's gonna quote me about £250 at least - if not more!....

Any advise is appreciated.
Old 16 February 2004, 01:26 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Insurance incase she realises there was an injury in a couple more weeks.

The fact you have the NCB protected is the whole point here. In theory you shouldn't lose out. They may bump the premium a little next time around but it shouldn't be much.

Informing the police yourself is wise. Well done.
Old 16 February 2004, 01:29 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Protected no claims - fine.

Do it all through the insurance - you could get claimed for personal injury etc as well as other costs. Your car is going to cost a bit too. No way is it worth the cost to you - it will not affect your premium anyway.

Who is your insurer?
Old 16 February 2004, 02:10 PM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Cinders,

She should have given way to you as you was on the roundabout already - so it does not matter that you "went straight in to the back of her." Totally her fault - as she stated to you.

Write to her home address stating that you hold her fully responsible.

Process through your insurance, initially it will be classed as your claim but eventually it will be reassessed as "no fault" once her insurance company pays up. But your car will be fixed quicker this way. Copy every bit of correspondence to your insurance company - including any papers filled out at the incident.

All the best.

John

Last edited by Johnhowell; 16 February 2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 16 February 2004, 02:19 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi John

I was behind her, she pulled out and stopped and I hit her from behind.
I have spoken to my insurance company and accepted liability.

They have contacted my local Subaru garage who are going to pick the car up and have it repaired on my insurance. Luckily I just have to pay the excess and my no claims are protected. They also told me it wouldn't affect next years premium. My insurance company is Tesco.

Now it's got my thinking...

I wonder if I can get any extras for my car out of this? Maybe I could persuade the garage to fit a new style bumper from a MY99/00!?.... Maybe the errr... turbo fell off in the crash and I need a new engine...

I'm just worried they might do a crap job of repairing the car, I guess I can always complain if it's not up to spec.

Matt.
Old 16 February 2004, 02:24 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Red face

All the best with the repair - someone hit me from behind (White Van Man) who was just driving carelessly on the M8 (not like your circumstances which I would hate to happen to me - something similar happened to me 4 yaers ago when pulling away from some traffic lights at a crossroads - the guy on the left jumped the lights, the Volvo in front of me slammed on their brakes and I hit them at 5MPH - being a volvo he was fine and I was crunched!! I paid for that myself).

If Subaru are repairing your car then you should get a 3 year warranty for the work through them/your insurer anyway - tell the Subaru body shop that you want them to take their time and that you are VERY picky!! The work should be good. It is Subaru.

Check out my incident:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/showthread.php?t=301322

Brian.
Old 16 February 2004, 02:56 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your mishap Cinders, I think you've done the right thing - too many ifs or buts if you were to try and sort it yourself. At least your insurers have taken it straight to a Subaru dealer instead an insurance approved 'Bodgit & Scarper' bodyshop. Wouldn't do any harm to ask the garage if they could fit a MY99/00 bumper instead of MY98 - I would expect the cost to be very similar, just depends on colour and whether respraying is required. It'd be nice to get the clear headlights too, but that might be pushing it a bit.

I had some minor damage (car park dent) bodyshopped a couple of weeks ago, involving filler and respray - I was VERY sceptical that the job would be any good, but I am happy to say I honestly can't tell there was ever any damage there !!

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

T
Old 16 February 2004, 02:58 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

wait for the whip-lash claim, pound to a penny she makes one.
Go through your insurance
Old 16 February 2004, 03:01 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

I'm very tempted when I get home tonight to smash the other headlamp in (one is already broken) and ask for the clear headlights. The front bumper is quite smashed so I guess there is no harm asking for a MY99/00 one.

I wonder how much they will check the car over? ie. geometry as it seems to be pulling to the left now as well
Old 16 February 2004, 03:02 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

If the women doesn't claim for whiplash I will personally send her a card thanking her for her honesty. Too many people abuse the system these days.
Old 16 February 2004, 03:52 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by cinders
If the women doesn't claim for whiplash I will personally send her a card thanking her for her honesty. Too many people abuse the system these days.
That is true and it bumps up all our premiums as well. Tell the bodyshop about it pulling to the left as a new thing, make sure you tell them you had clear lights (if you can disguise them any) and chance your luck with the bumper - they may not buy it but it is VERY good that your insurer is using a Subaru dealer. You have a right to choose anyway, as I did - push it and as my body shop said - if they argue just say it is going into >>>>>> and not your approved repairer because I have a right to choose and that's it - BASICALLY!!

Good luck.
Old 16 February 2004, 04:58 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

wrxmania - so basically I could tell the Subaru garage if they don't agree with the mods I want doing (clear lights, MY99 bumper) then I'll take the car somewhere else to have it fixed as that is my right?...

I was thinking of asking them to colour code the sills and wing mirrors as well
Old 16 February 2004, 05:02 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cinders
wrxmania - so basically I could tell the Subaru garage if they don't agree with the mods I want doing (clear lights, MY99 bumper) then I'll take the car somewhere else to have it fixed as that is my right?...

I was thinking of asking them to colour code the sills and wing mirrors as well
Not really what I was meaning. I meant you can choose your repairer but you need a reason - telling your insurance company you want new upgrades fitted free (which they would expect you to declare) would not be a good idea. I would merely ask your body shop and, yes, get the colour coding done at the same time (negotiate with them as your car is in, and they have the paint mixed etc?!?)

Good luck, but one thing not worth doing with your insurer is pushing your luck, especially if, unlikely though it is, your body shop tell them you have been making unreasonable demands, perticularly if new is more expensive?! I don't know.
Old 16 February 2004, 05:21 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Good Point there!.... I think I'll just ask them about the MY99 bumper and also if they would colour code the wing mirrors and sills whilst the paint is made up. I don't want to push it too far, just want my motor fixed. In fact I'm going to ring up now and find out if there is a difference between the cost of both bumpers.