Sponsored by:

Buying a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2004, 11:59 PM
787b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a WRX

I'm considering buying a '93 WRX at auction. I've done a lot of research, but my budgets not massive and if I slip up I don't eat

So no pressure, but what should I look out for? I know the cost of the SVA type items (the car is > 10 years old), but I'm worried about that first MOT. I know a bit about cars in general and find my current Japanese car faultless, but I guess you guys have owned this hyper-fast icon for a while and know what to look out for.

Apart from the usual I'd look out for UK tyres, clutch slippage, scored disks and underside damage. What have I missed? And is there any way to check the turbo just by looking under the bonnet with the engine running?

I've budgeted £450 for fail items (on top of foglights front & rear and speedo). Does this seem optimistic or pessimistic for a clean looking car?

I know you can't be definite, but what are the odds? Ant thoughts very welcome.
Old 14 February 2004, 12:24 AM
sti555
Scooby Regular

mate,

I would'nt buy a scooby on a budget, just be patient like most on here & your time will come Think you asking for trouble buying an older car, especially from auction, unsure history etc,much more likey to need parts etc, cost loads o run too Save up a cash deposit & wack it down on a much newer model MY02 onwards, less risk & warranty to help out!

Welcome to scoobynet though
Old 14 February 2004, 09:35 AM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate if the car is a 93 wrx it doesnt need an sva test anything less than 10years old so you can look for a L reg my94 something like jan -feb then you dont need a sva so your saving your self a couple of hundred quid
Old 14 February 2004, 01:40 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

what is your car budget?
Old 14 February 2004, 01:49 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

I would'nt buy a scooby on a budget, just be patient like most on here & your time will come Think you asking for trouble buying an older car, especially from auction, unsure history etc,much more likey to need parts etc, cost loads o run too Save up a cash deposit & wack it down on a much newer model MY02 onwards, less risk & warranty to help out

i know what you are saying, but you can get good older cars at auction, as long as you go in with your eyes open. I have bought some great cars from auctions and saved loads of cash, even if you have to spend a little to put them 100% right.

My advice would be to look around and see whats available then buy the best you can. you can buy a 2 years old complete dog or a 10 year old cracker, alot depends on luck.
Old 15 February 2004, 01:30 AM
787b
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys. I think my original message wasn't clearly enough worded, despite the length. I put it down to my excitement.

I've found a way to pick up a WRX for £3,000 from auction. Choice of a few too. And they're clean, I assure you. HPI'd too. Being a thorough bunny I've done all my research and the car comes out at £3747, less the unseen.

What I need help with is:

1. Cutting down on the unseen as much as poss. These cars are the worst for repair costs according to Warranty Direct, although that doesn't take into account that they don't go wrong that often, being Japanese.

2. Budget realistically for the MOT. I know it's difficult and I've plucked £450 from the air. Just want to know how that one sounds to the people who actually own the car really.

The £450 would NOT include the fogs,speedo etc. which I've costed in already.

I could do with some help from the friendly experts out there.