ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

bike rack for classic.

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2004, 09:26 PM
si97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike rack for classic.

I know this has been discussed but untill the search is sorted i thought i would ask.

The car is classic saloon with regular spoiler.

Halfords have one but i would like your guidance.

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_...type=0&cat=130

Thanks.
Old 13 February 2004, 11:06 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

I reckon the linked item would prove to be illegal without a separate light board and number plate as the bike will obscure the plates etc on the rear of the car - better to buy the type of rack that lifts the bike/s up over the rear window and away from the back of the car - halfords do these too and will clear your spoiler too.

paul w
Old 13 February 2004, 11:53 PM
si97
Scooby Regular

cheers, i know about the reg/light board so a higer lift one may be the way to go.

any ideas of which one?
Old 14 February 2004, 09:43 AM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

You might want to look at this web site www.pendle-bike.co.uk

IMHO strap on racks are too much trouble, I had one and spent most of my time checking it was still attached to the car. They can also ruin your paintwork and it's not unheard of to find them gone when you get back from a ride.

I've got one of the towbar wheel support racks from pendle, can't fault it, it's on or off the car in 30 seconds, has a lighting rig and completely clears any wing you would have on a Scoob. You don't have to p*ss around tightening all the straps. Also has a security hoop built in so you can lock the bikes to the rack if you need to leave them unattended.

The rack is about £130 and you'll need a towbar (quick release is best if you're worried about the look) with single electrics which would bring the total cost to around £300.

It's more expensive but it's another option to think about.

Cheers.
Old 14 February 2004, 03:07 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I have a four bike rack that fitted to the towbar on my classic wagon. It kept everything away from the car and had little swivel motion which I found on another model. With the panels/bootlid so light on the impreza, I preferred anchoring the load to something solid and which wouldn't band or warp on a long journey.

I will be selling it shortly as I now have a swan neck towbar which takes a different fitment altogether.

Cheers

Jerome
Old 15 February 2004, 12:56 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

i have a my 03 wrx and use the saris bike rack shown in the link. the angle that you have the bikes at is fully adjustable so you can clear some of the number plate. although on long journeys i use a extra number plate tied to the bike. the saris rack is very good and i have no problems fitting it correctly and firmly in place, the arms also have rubber boots on them so it doesnt damage the paint work and any small marks can be polished out easily. it carries 3 bikes easily and i have no worries about the rack or the bikes moving around during the journey doing 80mph.

iain