Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying new WRX - Performance pack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2004, 07:49 PM
copperband
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new WRX - Performance pack worth it?

As the topic title says I am about to buy my first WRX. Anyone on here recently bought a WRX and added the performance pack £1600 for about +40BHP?

Any feedback gratefully received.

Thanks
Old 12 February 2004, 07:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a 2nd hand WRX with PPP already fitted and I love it. I'd recommend you ask the dealer if you can test with and without, but for me it really makes the car go and sound how it should have been from the start. There are alternatives but you might jepardise your warranty. The TEK3 remap and backbox releases 290bhp and more torque, and also makes the car more economical (apparantly ) and IIRC is about £800. If you've negotiated the usual £1500 discount, consider the PPP as costing £100 . Then, if you keep reading on here and get the mod bug, you'll be saving for springs, braces, wheels, droplinks, geometry set-ups..................

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll love it

Last edited by corradoboy; 12 February 2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12 February 2004, 08:16 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Talk to Graham Goode Racing - http://www.grahamgoode.com/ - thay might have a better solution to the PPP from subaru!?

In a mag called 'Japenese Performance' issue37 February 2004 - http://www.chpltd.com/japanese_performance/index.html

there is an Impreza 01 WRX (bug eye) that has had the engine fully rebuilt to reach over 350BHP and 320lb of torque! the car started with the PPP on it then he went to GGR to have more power and torque added to it as the PPP you have to floor it to get the power to the wheels!

looks really nice for £18K upgrade at GGR! but it looks worth it! and so does the owner think so!

Read the review in the mag
Old 12 February 2004, 08:36 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Simple answer - Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Had it fitted at 1k to my 03WRX and was well worth it IMHO. I wanted to keep the warranty so talked myself out of other options. It is a significant improvement over the standard WRX.

At the end of the day you will love it, and then if you're anything like me after a few months you'll start thinking 'hmm, if only it was a bit quicker...'

...I'm at that stage now...

...but then I think I need therapy
Old 12 February 2004, 09:05 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

My honest opinion is dont go the PPP route,it is a waste of money,i drove a PPP'd car and then an Ecutek 3 (Custom map) and the difference was amazing.Look at what Blip has said, he is already looking for extra power with the PPP ,go the Ecutek route and never look again.

I decatted my MY01 (Fully) cost £400 buying 2nd hand Scoobysport parts.Then had an Ecutek custom map (£500 cash) and my car made 292 BHP and would p#ss all over a PPP'd car and i never had any warranty issues and saved £700.

Yes my dealer was understanding and i never shouted from the rooftops about my mods but all the worries about the warranty was unfounded,i had quiet a few parts changed under warranty and no questions where ever asked.

Remember the Ecutek software is non detectable by the dealer and you can even run the car in low boost mode, so if they road test it they wont feel any extra power and you can open it back up when you get the car back.

Zippy

Last edited by ZIPPY; 12 February 2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

have a look at the posts where there is something wrong with their car most if not all have got some sort of ecutek or tek1,2 or 3 hardly anyone with a ppp has a problem. im not saying the the others are bad or anything just there sems to be more go wrong with them more often than a ppp
Old 13 February 2004, 12:19 AM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyboy:

Don’t dispute what you are saying, this is probably because Prodrive have put together a balanced hard / soft ware upgrade with PPP.

Is the software so different with Tec2, I understood it was based on the Prodrive map and if the back box is big enough not to restrict the exhaust, I would not have thought that was an issue either, the only other thing is the turbo induction hose that could be an issue.

I for one wont be spending £1,900 or what ever it is on a software upgrade, a very average exhaust back box and a bit of plastic hose.

Could anybody post on here if they have a problem with Tec2 or 3 and if so what has caused it ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ajax
Old 13 February 2004, 01:24 PM
copperband
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the feedback so far.
My next question concerns the dreaded MPG - Does the PPP make much difference and what sort of returns do you think I will get on MPG? Most of my journeys are 100+ miles of which 80% is motorway.

Thanks again
Old 13 February 2004, 01:41 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Im getting about 27mpg, mixed urban / motorway miles

Since ive change my tyres to Eagle F1's the mpg is averaging about 25, but that my not directly be the tyres fault

Ive now done 20000 miles int 10 months (must stop doing thoughs 10 mile trips to the local shops )

Simon

MY03 PPP
Old 13 February 2004, 03:06 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

I had PPP put on my car at 10000 miles, I can't recommend it enough, a huge difference especially in torque. You won't be able to get such a large single increase in performance again (I've tried driving an STI 8 PPP).
In my view the is simply no point in buying a new car and immeadiately trasing the warranty. Obvoiusly the value of the hardware you get is not £1600, what you're paying for is the warranty and the time Prodrive have put in making sure it won't go pop.
If you want max-power min-cost above all else, there are numerous options including third party re-maps, imports etc.
I just wanted the peace of mind, so I opted for a new UK car with PPP.
Old 13 February 2004, 05:47 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

yes do it i had it from new on my 03 wagon and the way it pulls all the way in 5 th is amazing.

there was an article in evo about ppp on the 03

Cant link to it but if you go to http://www.evo.co.uk and type in "subaru impreza wrx PPP" in the search function there is a glowing review.
Old 13 February 2004, 06:14 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon,
Your averaging 25mpg on a motorway run, i get around the same (MY03 Spec C) which is scary really (still running in though so cant exceed 4k )

Scoobymad,
I read that article about that 350bhp impreza wrx, oh how i laughed lol!
So much BS in there it was impossible not to really, especially about the 380cc injectors that the MY01 wrx really uses
I took it with a big pinch of salt, though the engine builders are very reknown, the owner seems to be a bit of a muppet.

Tony
Old 13 February 2004, 06:29 PM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

I would check out how much your insurance company wants on top. I wanted the PPP pack and Tesco wanted an extra £270 for six months of cover. In the end I could not justify the extra costs so I just brought an afterburner vortex which gives a great sound and the car feels more responsive. I know its no where near a PPP car but its a hell of a lot cheaper!
Old 13 February 2004, 06:38 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Remember the Ecutek software is non detectable by the dealer and you can even run the car in low boost mode, so if they road test it they wont feel any extra power and you can open it back up when you get the car back.
That isn't what Mike Woods says from prodrive, he reckons it is very detectable, especially when making a warranty claim.
Old 13 February 2004, 07:54 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

The MPG with the PPP is pretty good, I can have averaged 33MPG on the motorway, a long cruise at 80.
Old 13 February 2004, 08:30 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I've got a wrx03 ppp. ppp was fitted at 3k miles and i have to be honest, i was initially dissapointed, i was expecting a little more. there also appeared to be 'flat' spots in the acceleration.

took it back to the dealer and they said 'give it time' it needs to bed in. have to admit it seems to be getting slightly better with time, but cant help feeling that all thats happened is the boost comes in 1k earlier on the revs but also runs out of steam a lot earlier too!

it also doesnt feel as 'subjectively' quick as the power/acceleration is spread out over a slightly wider rev range, so whereas before it would all arrive in a rush (and therefore deliver more of a 'kick') now it seems slightly diluted.

maybe my expectaions were too high, maybe i'm being paranoid, but i don't feel like i'm driving around in a car with 265bhp and a 0-60 of 4.8 secs!!!!
Old 13 February 2004, 09:34 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=FrenchBoy]I've got a wrx03 ppp. ppp was fitted at 3k miles and i have to be honest, i was initially dissapointed, i was expecting a little more. there also appeared to be 'flat' spots in the acceleration.

QUOTE]

Had my ppp from new and have NEVER encountered "flat spots" it just pulls like a train from 3500 to 6000 revs and i have tried a couple of fairly conservative launchs and 4.8 feels definitley achievable.
Old 13 February 2004, 10:10 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

maybe its just me then! is there such a thing as a dodgy ppp fitting?
Old 13 February 2004, 11:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

frenchboy - try another dealer i think pee taking is whats happening to you !
Old 14 February 2004, 07:08 PM
copperband
Scooby Newbie

Very interested in comments written here although I am now a little confused - Does the PPP really drop the 0-60 from the manafacturers figure of 5.9 to 4.8? I know that there are many reasons to by an STI other than pure 0 - 60 but I struggle to believe how this mod could make the WRX so much quicker than the STi's standard 0- 60?

Last edited by copperband; 14 February 2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 14 February 2004, 07:10 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

thats what prodrive say. check out the subaru website and look at the ppp pdf. all the details are in there.
Old 14 February 2004, 07:15 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Or click this link (if i've done it right)

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...0WRX%20PPP.pdf
Old 14 February 2004, 10:55 PM
Rog Ford
Scooby Regular

STI has 6 gears - needs an extra change in the 0-60, which makes the STI look worse than it really is.