Sponsored by:

Time for a rant (or two)

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2004, 04:50 PM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Time for a rant (or two)

Popped into B&Q today, as you do. Came out and immobilisor having none of it. Couldn't arm, disarm, blip to activate ignition etc. Tried the keypad but nothing doing. Have had a couple of similar recntly but always kicked over after a couple of tries. Eventually had to admit defeat and phone Subaru Assistance. First tried phoning Sparshatts at Botley - knew there would be no service dept but figured someone in sales might be up for giving some useful advice. Nope - 'our salesmen are all busy with customers at the moment'! - no sign of 'I'll get someone to phone you'. I may have a Scooby already but surely taht makes me even more likely to go in and spend money with them. A bit of effort would have been nice.

Anyway the breakdown bloke arrives, tows me across the car park further away from any mobile phone masts etc and eventually gets it going. Apparently "its a common problem with Subarus - if you have a problem they usually replace the 'brain' in the alarm to overcome it." Good to hear I have to get stuck for 3 f**king hours and possibly towed to the dealer (on a Sunday!!) before Subaru will admit my alarm is likely to pack up and leave me stranded before doing something about it. What happened to te recall?!!!

Sorry - Subaru and Sparshatts - not good enough!!!
Old 08 February 2004, 07:09 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

He's right it is quite common. It's happened to me and many others on a number of occassions. The best way around it is to use the keypad for the alarm. The location of the keypad depends on the model of Scoob.

If this happens again, you will have to open the car with the key (setting off the alarm - that can't be avoided) and then key in the 4 figure code to disarm the alarm. If you don't know it, take your car to your dealer and they should be able to reset it to a PIN of your choice.

At least this way stops you having to call the dealer / Subaru assistance etc.

Chris
Old 09 February 2004, 08:57 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Does this happen just on Subaru alarms or any remote alarm system.
Cheers
Colin
Old 09 February 2004, 09:11 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

It seems to relate to the particular make and model of alarm fitted to UK Scoobs a standard. I would assume that the same problem could occur if the same alarm was fitted to another type of car. I think the problems relates to the frequency range used.

Chris
Old 09 February 2004, 09:14 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

primarily the Sigma M30 (found in MY99/00 cars)

Subaru are aware of this issue, and it gets replaced FOC under (alarm) warrantee.

You end up with a shielded box (brain) - this is where the problem is first encountered,
as the original box is prone to interference from RF (radio frequencies) from Emergency Services, Taxis etc..... then the alarm won't work.....

New box takes care of this.

HTH

Dan