Sponsored by:

prodrive back box ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2004, 11:06 PM
mcscoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Only had wrx for 2 months under 2k on clock. Car is std UK model. Luv it too bitz and dont really feel the need for extra BHP just yet. (Seems the norm to put PPP on from day one.) That will definitely come before scoobs first birthday. However, I wouldnt mind a bit more burble - the std twin pipe is pretty quiet.
I know it is cheaper to put full PPP on but has anyone just done the back box for effect. Main questions :-
1 - Would this give me the deep rumble I here on other scoobys ?
2 - How much extra BHP ?
3 - Effect on insurance ?

Answers to No 1 most important.

Cheers
McSD

Old 01 February 2004, 12:00 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Cool

McSD

I've got the WR Sport back box on an MY02...

1. Nice burble without being intrusive whilst pootling along Can be throaty when giving it some but not like the banshee howl of some a/market boxes

I was surprised how muh of a rumble you do get as one of the first times I heard it was when it was driven round the back of a dealers for a service by one of their blokes so I wasn't in the car - heard it through their plate glass windows

2. Extra BHP don't expect +30BHP . Mine on the rollers at Powerstation gave 218.5bhp (std officially = 215bhp). That could be just roller setup etc... It's freer flowing than the peashooter but not by a lot. The rest of my engine is standard until I get PPP etc

3. Insurance - depends who you're with. Tesco wanted 180 quid extra per year so I voted with my feet and went to LV where it's no extra Just make sure you inform whovere so they can't claim it's modified if you make a claim and haven't said anything...

4. Warranty if you are bothered - officially it's the only b/box mod you can do apart from the one with PPP that keeps your Subaru warranty...

HTH

Apple
Old 01 February 2004, 12:35 AM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

it depends if its brand new? do my03 wrx not have equal length headers, like the sti?? if they do, then you will never get the rumble