Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Reason for boy racers with scoobs....

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2004, 08:43 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rising house prices mean baz and kev are more likely to live with mummy until they are 30 and therefore have a large disposable income each month that is then blown on scoobs and burberry.
Old 25 January 2004, 08:49 PM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boyracers and scooby drivers are one in the same anyway. so the only real difference is younger drivers are getting ur cast off cars
Old 25 January 2004, 08:52 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

but it never really happened with the cossies with my generation. guess we could just about get on the housing ladder and most did so therefore no cash for a cossie
Old 25 January 2004, 08:53 PM
WagonRich
Scooby Regular

Yes but Ford only built about 10 cossies. And 8 of those have been written off.

Rich

[Edited by WagonRich - 1/25/2004 9:12:22 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 08:53 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

yep if they didnt buy our old cars they would be worth about 28p
Old 25 January 2004, 08:55 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Cossies cost a lot more in their day by comparison so the boy racers couldn't afford them anyway !!
Old 25 January 2004, 08:55 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

insurance killed cossies off so nobody under 30 could own one at the time. Its still expense to insure a scoob but do able when you pay insurnace monthly
Old 25 January 2004, 08:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

i must disagree, i am 24 with my own house & have just ordered my dream car !!

a MY04 Sti (PPP will come after the running in period)

I aint no burberry wearer either

Owned a cossie(saph) 6 yrs ago kept it for 3 yrs 1st car was a Mk3 Xr3i, 2 months later purchased a 'scort RS

And have had my fair share ov good cars mostly fords though (ie rs brand)

So i think your comments are unfair, some of us "younger" ones have worked hard 2 get what we want

Cheers

Sti
Old 25 January 2004, 09:05 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

sti-04 no offence intended to younger owners (with or without baseball caps).

just seems to be loads of boy racers in scoobs recently so i was having a guess as to how so many youngsters could afford to buy and run one. with housing so expensive and more young people being stuck with their parents then i can understand how and why they would go and buy their dream car.

[Edited by jjones - 1/25/2004 9:06:44 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 09:20 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Yep i cant afford a house and its only £50/month to live at home

But i wouldn't dream of buying chavvy burbery!!! I don't go "cruising" etc. And although I drive quickly when not commuting , I Never race anything!!

Andy

[Edited by SiDHEaD - 1/25/2004 9:21:36 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 09:28 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

i must disagree, i am 24 with my own house & have just ordered my dream car !!

a MY04 Sti (PPP will come after the running in period)

I aint no burberry wearer either

Owned a cossie(saph) 6 yrs ago kept it for 3 yrs 1st car was a Mk3 Xr3i, 2 months later purchased a 'scort RS

And have had my fair share ov good cars mostly fords though (ie rs brand)

So i think your comments are unfair, some of us "younger" ones have worked hard 2 get what we want

Cheers

Sti
Can I ask, but how the hell does an 18 year old, even in '98, afford to insure a cosworth? And more to the point, which insurance company was stupid enough to ensure you? Knowing the history of high powered cars and the risk to underwriters, especially with someone who would have held their licence for what, a maximum of 23 months (Assuming you passed your test in the first month and got the cossie in the last month of your 18 year).

Maybe I just grew up with the wrong parents, or the jobs I did when growing up didn't pay enough.

Dave
www.scoobyphotos.com
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 25 January 2004, 09:33 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

well i used the route of my fathers company insurance, the car was insured as a company car & seeing as i was on the policy didnt make a difference to what i was driving (i cheated !!!!)

Also i done the wks intense course and had my licence 7 days after turning the youthful 17

May i also add i have never had a claim (my fault or other) also i got 3pts years ago for doing 43 in a 30 so licence at the mo is clean
Old 25 January 2004, 09:44 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Cheapest one on autotrader is 3995

thats why the chavs have got em, I mean who cant get a loan for 4 grand???
Old 25 January 2004, 10:00 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Oi.. nothing wrong with living at home at 30... for £40 a wekk all in.
do i look stupid?

Phil
Old 25 January 2004, 10:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

yes phil you do.

Old 25 January 2004, 10:25 PM
Andy H STi
Scooby Regular

I got accused of being a drug dealer, on the only time I have ever been pulled in MY98 STi TypeR Coupe. I ain't no Burberry wearer, although I did have a Lacoste track suit on and bright white Nike Air Max.

He found money in the glovebox ( £100 ) and then went on to insinuate/accuse me of being a drug dealer because I'm only 21.

What category do I come into?

Andy
Old 25 January 2004, 10:28 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i must be missing the point here.....so what is the problem with younger (boy racers) owning there dream cars?
Old 25 January 2004, 10:40 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

"sti-04 no offence intended to younger owners"

peachy,

the point was that there are more and more boy racers in imprezas than the ever were in cossies - reasons for why this is the case.

there is no "problem" with younger drivers - try reading the thread.

[Edited by jjones - 1/25/2004 10:41:30 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 10:41 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Wink

Being a boy racer aint about the car you drive, its about your mental attitude (or lack of it, in boy racers)
Any car can be owned by a boy racer.

Read max power? et al
Look like someone from shavvascum.com?
Wear Burberry?
Think straight line speed is all that counts?
Believe that having a fast car makes you a good driver, AND you could beet all them proper race car drivers if they came to MaCy Dees

Then Your a boy racer

I like to think that there are boy racers, and then there are driving enthusiasts, age, car, gender have nothing to do with it, its all mental.

Consider improving your driving important, in terms of speed, safety and fluidity
Understand that racing on streets is costly in more ways than one
Drive on track to explore your limits
Believe that you’re not the greatest driver in the world

Then you’re a driving enthusiast.

Them is just my thoughts J
Old 25 January 2004, 10:44 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

yea but thats quite obvious! you couldn't buy a 8-10 year old cossie when you were 20 or whatever could you!!!!
Old 25 January 2004, 10:46 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

catflap - well said

i live closer to knockhill than any other track (though its still at least an hours drive with a trailer) and learned how 2 drive since i was old enough on there.

Streets dont work for me

B roads do

as i have said 2 many a person (an i might be wrong) bring yer EVO to a b road an we will c who ends up the winner

but as i said i might be wrong

all the best

sti-04!!
Old 25 January 2004, 11:11 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

JJones yet another go at young drivers with scoobys.. hint go to a few meets u might be a bit suprised whos the "boy racers" really are! My Dads 50 and would never let a scooby over take him (must be nice to have a gsxr 1000)

The young lads who have worked hard and ended up getting a good job, probably working every hour over time they can get, just so the can pay the insurance. I could aford to move out, I could have a kid, i could spend all my money on crack ****** but i wanted a subaru - but the crack ****** still sounds tempting

I like my car and yes im no angel, I like my sunday drives and early starts at work as much as any one and yes I have had fun with other drivers on the road, but can you name many 40+ drivers who wouldn't say the same. blimy most the crew in the worcester meets leave me for dead on the meets ( my excuse is my girl friends with me )

Im 22 and have worked hard to get my scooby like Sidhead above these are not old hammered scoobs

I am very sorry if we upset you for having a scooby, but how bad must you feel when you watch the rally to see 19 year old "boy racers" winning rallies.. how dare they . How about you go and buy a mans car like a BMW M series or a porsche and leave the scoobs to the youth who obviously cant aford any better with their £5 they earn in Macdonalds. While your at it stop woman driving Audi TT's and hair dressers driving Mx'5s and reps driving mondeos, get real does it bother you that much who drives what car, a subaru is a subaru who ever drives it and fair play to them, who ever they are, they will get a flash and a wave when ever I pass them

and burbury - I will keep that till I get my gt3 911 because I just know how much the 911 club will hate it

and on behalf of all young drivers whos get ripped apart on this forum for being bad drivers, nutters and dam right dangorous

lol - can u tell i ve been at work for 18 days with out a day off, may be its time for a lonnnnnnnnnggggg holiday
Old 25 January 2004, 11:12 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

duplicate post

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 1/25/2004 11:14:26 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 11:29 PM
Pistol_Pete
Scooby Regular

Great that the more younger drivers can afford to get nice wheels and I say that as a old git.
Sti04 how did you do it ? At 24 I had a house but bugger all left for something like a sti or a cosworth etc. I suppose its just that each generation has more disposable income than the last.

Probably for most drivers, it would be as well if they were not in such performance cars at a young age. Thats no disrespect to anybody here but I for one would have probably killed myself in something like a Sti in my early 20's. Now I have the Sti, I dont ever get above 30mph these days anyway
Old 25 January 2004, 11:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

WRX_rich well said my friend.
Pistol_pete, like WRX_rich i work every hour that i can, not 2 pay the insurance but 2 have a better life. i might work all wk but at the wkends, i party but in saying that, some ov us are lucky & some ov us have worked for it, i am the latter.

Lifes for living & scoobies r for fun

Long live the impreza

sti-04!!

ps as sad as it may sound in 24 months the plan is M3 Conv then maybe a GT3

Bring it on all us youngsters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by sti-04!! - 1/25/2004 11:37:09 PM]
Old 25 January 2004, 11:40 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

sorry to say this but im getting really bored of the same **** being dragged up again and again on here.

I don't understand why there is this issue with younger people owning Subarus. So the insurance is slightly more

It just seems a little sad that young drivers are labelled boy racers by some of the older drivers. You give the example of not being able to afford a house etc but that is assuming that everyone makes the same as you do.

Some younger drivers on here will have very good jobs and probably make a fair deal more than some of the older owners. Cost, insurance etc are all relative to your available means.

Old 25 January 2004, 11:44 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Question

siwrx - as a newbie i didnt realise it had been brought up before !!!

but just to clarify i aint no Boy racer in my opinon they r t@ssers that r foot 2 the floor whenever theres a straight line.

Being young doesnt make u a bad driver

could i just ask is jealousy maybe something 2 do with this thread ????????????????
Old 25 January 2004, 11:56 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

was on a training course the other month and a guy was telling me thier network manager was 19 and on 35k +, found it hard to belive but who are we to say he can't buy a nice car, go for it.

JJones - to make thing worse i have a big exhaust and ..... wait for it.... a SUB ahhhh macky d's here we come

I agree a bit that young drivers should not be let lose with fast cars but i also think that any car over 300 bph ( for example) should need a different license, i ve built up from a bmw cooper to a cooper s to a scooby so i had a bit of a walk before i could run, but i ve been lucky and never had a accident but I know young and old drivers who I wouldnt trust in a metro never mind a subaru - something like a lotus 1 course, Im sure there is quite a few people would agree a day's coruse and a cirtificate wouldn't be such a bad thing

STI -04, welcome aboard m8, ive seen these threads but never botherd to reply - but i get the " I couldn't afford a cossi why should they get a scoob"

[Edited by WRX_Rich - 1/26/2004 12:08:04 AM]
Old 25 January 2004, 11:59 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

i agree, but on a full scale HGV drivers have 2 sit a medical at 45, no disrespect but i think all drivers should !!!!
Old 26 January 2004, 12:01 AM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Just cause their young drivers,(with baseball caps)Why is it EVERY time they fall in the catagory of THE BOYRACER!

Quick Reply: Reason for boy racers with scoobs....