ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tyre advice, please....

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2000, 09:13 PM
Neil
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Is anyone up-to-date with tyre recommendations and prices ?

The Fulda Extremos on my MY99 UK car are up for replacement. Most of my driving is on A and B roads so my priorities are predictability on the limit, then outright grip.

The Extremos are better than the original Bridgestones but I reckon they can be bettered.

Both Bridgestones (RE 010 ??) and Extremos have lasted about 15k miles.

Advice and prices welcomed. Falken 451s any good ?

Thanks,
Neil.
Old 06 June 2000, 09:26 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Neil,

IMHO SO2's. 17" @ £130 per corner from Micheldever Tyres

Regards, John
Old 06 June 2000, 09:27 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

The 2 most talked about tyres on scoobynet are Toyos Proxes T1-S and Bridgestone SO-2. The Toyos cost around £100 per wheel (incl balancing, vat, etc) whereas the Bridgestones are about £125.

I can only speak from personal experience about the Toyos which seems to be a good tyre overall for wet and dry and last well.
I would say however that some of the steering feel has been lost with changing to these tyres.

The Bridgestones are generally highly regarded but there are a few horror stories of poor grip and lack of confidence in these tyres especially when new. They appear to take 1000 miles or so to bed-in. The poor reports mainly come from owners with 16 inch rims; 17 inch wheels fare better.

Overall the Bridgestones offer better outright grip but are more expensive and are occasionally a disaster.

Hope this helps.

D.
Old 06 June 2000, 10:45 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

I had Toyo's for 25K miles (mainly motorway). The inside shoulders were worn down to the "canvas" (but that's really difficult to see). I wasn't happy that there was still 4mm tread left on the tyre but the side walls had "let go". Spoke to Toyo customer service (guy said he had a scooby and was veyr surprised that I'd got more than 17K out of them). I've since swapped them for Goodyear eagle F1s on the basis that if the toyo's are going to give up before the tread does, I might as well have tyres who's tread lasts the distance. They're alot less "squirmy" under braking / heavy cornering and the rear end grip is much improved (I can't get the back out now, unlike the Toyos). Depending how these wear I might move to SO2's or back to P-zeros next. Whichevers cheapest !

cheers

Andy
Old 06 June 2000, 10:55 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Neil,

Goodyear Eagle F1s are also very good, especially in the wet. They can also be obtained quite cheaply from some places -- current favorite is Wembley Tyres in London, under £80 per wheel all inc compared to about £100 from Micheldever Tyres which is closer to you.

F1s and S-02s were both rated excellent in the latest Autocar tyre test (using a Scooby!). Toyo T1-S have also had good coverage here and a couple of people like the Falken 451s which Micheldever do for about £75 per wheel all inc. Toyos and Falkens wear less -- treadwear rating 280, F1s and S-02s are 200 and 180 respectively. I don't get more than 11k out of my S-02s with constant enthusiastic A and B-road driving.

The S-02s grip the best but a couple of people have complained about predictability over the limit. With your needs I'd give the F1s a go.

Paul
Old 06 June 2000, 11:27 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

neil,
when i need tyres i ring round 4 the best price locally on a tyre that i want!
then ring 'ELITE tyres+accessories' essex area!?!?
on my Michelin pilots 205 55 15 they wanted £68 + vat each!!!!!!!!!£7 carrage! about £87 total
ATS wanted £132!!!!!!!!!!!each
so then told Quick Fit I had had a price of £87 for the tyre COULD THEY MATCH IT? there price was £122 each, THEY DID MATCH 'ELITE@ price!!!!

how much mark up is there on tyres??????
Old 06 June 2000, 11:50 PM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

I have the Pirelli P-Zero and think they are pretty good especially after the SO1's.
There is a new P-Zero rosso just come out so I would consider those depending on price.
Old 06 June 2000, 11:57 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Goodyears a bit softer on turn in but seemed good on absolute grip and predictability , excellent in the wet , I rate the standard 010/070 (don't know how to read the font ) Bridgestone to be better than the Goodyears , but they dont last long just swapped front to back to counter the dreaded inside front shoulder wear , after 6000 miles . interesting you say the fulda is better , anybody else like them ???
Old 07 June 2000, 12:50 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Goodyear F1s without a doubt, absolutely brilliant in the wet and if you buy from Micheldever tyres reasonably cheap as well.
Old 07 June 2000, 02:38 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Cool

I went from SO-2's to Goodyear F1's, I wish I done it much earlier as they are so much better than the SO-2's. Mine seam better in to corners and heavy braking, and I’ve yet to lose it at the back in the wet, I still keep trying, plus the tread pattern is sexy as fu(k !

i would recommend F1's
Old 07 June 2000, 03:04 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Did Stef not say in another thread that SO2's weren't recommended for use of Scoobies?

Greg
Old 07 June 2000, 06:48 PM
Ian S
Scooby Newbie

Just replaced the standard 16" Potenzas on my 99my with Toyo Proxes (£88 per corner from Barrys Tyres in Chandlers Ford).

First impressions : quieter, improved grip especially in the wet - but that could just be due to tread again !

Ian
Old 07 June 2000, 06:59 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi All

S-02's are Blindingly grippy in the wey and dry on a scoob. (In fact on just about all cars)

The Toyos are nearly as grippy but are slighlty more progressive.

Neil, based on your requirements...
I would say you would be happier with the toyo's as long as you are willing to accept that they are not as grippy as the S-02s, but you will get lots of predictability on the limit.

Cheers

Simon
Old 07 June 2000, 08:59 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Hello,

I run Bridgestone SO2PP 17in which were £100 a corner.

Set your tracking to FAQ settings and prepare to be dazzeled
Old 07 June 2000, 09:11 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Simon S-o2s are blindingly grippy in the Wey?Isnt that a River in Guildford, they must be good in the wet!!. Graham.
Old 07 June 2000, 09:31 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

LOL

Sorry Mr Spell Check

Regards

Simon ed abnek
Old 07 June 2000, 11:27 PM
I Stancer
Scooby Regular

Clear as mud which tyres to choose then anybody think Camacs or Savas are the dogs whatsits ?
Old 08 June 2000, 10:03 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

OK, interesting question here. Which is more important when you buy a new set of tyres, ultimate grip or the rate at which the tyre lets go of the road?

Do people prefer a tyre that hangs on until the bitter end and then falls off the road suddenly, or one that lets go earlier but more progressively?

Old 08 June 2000, 10:32 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Replaced 16" alloys with 17" on 1994 WRX fitted with 215/40 ZR 17 Good Year Eagle F1s (Chase Tyres 01902 732071) and cost was £68.16 each (7 x 17 BK 238 alloys were £85.00 each) all plus VAT.
Old 08 June 2000, 11:04 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

David - good question...

It is personal choice at the end of the day..

If you are totally confident that you can recognise and deal with the limits of the car, then ultimately, more grip is probably better.

The thing is, if you are throwing your car around and have doubts as to EXACTLY what you are doing, then maybe that extra moment of warning is more important.

I love S-02s, but I have to say I enjoy driving the Toyos more at times because of that extra bit of communication at the limit.

If I had to do a rally on road tyres, then S-02s without question, but on the road in safety, not as clear cut.

S-02s sound as though they are the safest because they provide more grip, but... that's no good if you hammer round a corner in total confidence (due to the grip) and realise you have pushed them too far when you reverse into the ditch (faster than you would have done on slippier tyres).

Don't get me wrong, the S-02s provide really good feedback, but just not as good as the Toyos (IM Humble O).

I will always shoe my wifes car in S-02s. She never drives to the limit of the car but I know she has the best chance of stopping in an emergency.

Not so sure about you lot . My thoughts are that the limits arrive here and there (by accident of course ) so it is a choice thing.

I am still undecided.

Cheers

Simon
Old 08 June 2000, 01:33 PM
Paul G
Scooby Newbie

For your info I just bought F1's from Wembley tyres £85 fitted 2 weeks ago. SO'2 were £100.

Haven't racked up the 500 miles yet, but they feel much sharper turning into the corner than the RE 10's. Hope I get more than 15K this time round.

If you need numbers you can find do a search & find them on an old posting

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 08 June 2000, 06:27 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used OEM Bridgestones, then SO2's & now Yoko AVS Sports on my 99my with 16" wheels.

I feel that the SO2's were way better than the others in absolute grip. They did need a good 1000 miles of running-in though. On the limit, they are less progressive than the Yoko's, but then on my Yoko's I would be on the limit much earlier than a car shod with SO2's.

On balance, I would suggest going for the best grip with the SO2's. But prepare for the run-in period.
Old 08 June 2000, 06:45 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Yeah good point David

Do those in the know agree with Simon that S02 have more grip, but let go more suddenly than Toyos?

I imagine that I'll be after the tyre that losses grip more progressively (unless ontrack) as the limit will probably be high enough for me on the road already (for now).
Old 08 June 2000, 09:36 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have SO2’s on my car and when driving on the limits at high speed, well very high speeds it feels like I am driving on jelly. Felt much safer on my old bold tyres.
The grip at less than 100 mph is very good but over that and the tyre seem like they are flexing. Tried slightly higher pressures but no difference. What pressures for 17”?
Bob
Old 08 June 2000, 10:54 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you like going sideways choose Firestones i had the pleasure (not) of these while my others were being refurbed.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08 June 2000, 11:07 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr.Cookie:
<B>If you like going sideways choose Firestones i had the pleasure (not) of these while my others were being refurbed.

Cheers
Simon[/quote]

What kind of Firestones were they ?

I have Firestones on the back (soon to be replaced). They were on the front for around 10 000 miles and were at least as good as OEM Bridgestones. I chose these on the basis of an Autocar tyre test (2-3 years ago) which indicated that they were the best wet/dry compromise.

D.

Old 09 June 2000, 08:20 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRT Bob's message. I should mention that he has not gone through the extended run-in period yet.
Old 09 June 2000, 10:24 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I must admit that I prefer the idea of a tyre that lets go progressively, rather than one with the most grip, but less friendly behaviour.

I have more fun driving my MY00 in the rain where I can overcome the all-conquering grip at (slightly) less lunatic speeds, so for me, pushing the limits of adhesion further away is a bad thing - it will only encourage me to drive faster!

I guess it depends on what appeals to the driver more, the challenge of driving on (or slightly over) the limit of adhesion, or the thrill of the highest cornering speeds. Each to his or her own.
Old 09 June 2000, 11:45 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Guys,

Toyo's excellent T1S are available from Motorsport Wheels Ltd at £340 including vat and fitting for a complete set of 4 (205/50r16) tyres. That's £85 per corner, all in.

Bob,

Keep up mate... You've recently sold the vehicle formally known as "your car"! Have you replaced it already?

Moray

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 09-06-2000).]

Quick Reply: Tyre advice, please....